Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pressure question for front tyres (Hans Dampf and SG content)
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I normally thought I ran about 25psi in my front tyre but since purchasing one of those excellent Topeak digital gauges I now discover that I am actually running about 15psi due to the inaccurate gauges that come on most pumps. I tend to put air in or out until it ‘feels’ right to me squashing my tyre into the ground.
    Since fitting a Super Gravity version of the Hans Dampf, I’m having trouble finding the right pressure due to the stiffer sidewalls.
    What should I be looking for in behaviour from a front tyre that varying pressures would change? I have got Flow EX 29er rims and like to ride uphill and downhill. I prefer lower pressures for traction and am not too bothered about tyre drag. I was running a HD Pacestar front and rear and now a HD SG Trailstar compound on the front.

covbuggy
    Free Member

I run around 25psi on the track pump gauge. Initially they were hard bit soon softened up a bit. I run tubeless so any lower the tyres start burping.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The numbers are pretty irrelevant, as it’s how it feels when riding in terms of grip?. So, although my track pump is miles out, as long as I know what pressure on that gauge transmits to what I want, I’m sorted?.

slackalice
    Free Member

Im with nobeer on this, its all relative to the gauge being used and more importantly, feel, for you as the rider. This suggests that body weight, terrain and how you like to feel your tyres working and ultimately, burping, pinch flats etc.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m running about 22psi with an SG Magic Mary in the dry, whilst with Trail Kings (Protection casing so stiffer than basic single ply) I’d run about 26psi – that’s reading the same on my pump and gauge. Front tyre only! Rear runs about 20% higher. Taking both down 10-20% in the wet.

Too low for your cornering forces and you’ll feel an uncertain squirm. Too high and the bike fidgets.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

relative to the gauge, not a subscriber to the super low pressures as too much squirming is bad. as a rule 32psi a rule 32 all round. Not getting left behind.

chiefgrooveguru

From Pinkbike: “On advice from Nico Lau, we set them with around 1.5 bar in the front and just under 2 bar in the rear.”

They’re basically like dual plies in terms of pressures. 1 bar = 14.5 psi

wobbliscott
    Free Member

About 30 to 35 psi for me on the front (HDs) and 35 in the rear . No pinch punctures, nice low rolling resistance and up skill to deal with lack of grip, though I don’t notice them being particularly lacking in grip. I guess it probably depends on the type of terrain you ride.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pressure question for front tyres (Hans Dampf and SG content)’ is closed to new replies.