Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • pramtrackworld
  • gordonb
    Free Member

Holy hell!!!!

Just found out how expensive these bad boys are! The next time one of the females in the family comments on the price of my bikes, I’ll just remind them!

Anyway, any opinions on the uppababy vista before we press the button?

Drac

MacClaren, your wallet will thank me.

alfabus
    Free Member

in true stw fashion, i will not tell you my opinion on the buggy you’ve asked about, i’ll just tell you that what i’ve got is the best:

baby jogger city mini gt

Dave

marko75
    Free Member

MacClaren, your wallet will thank me

+1000000000 single best bit of kit got for our little one. They grow out of everything else so quickly but the pram stays a constant. Light, easy to manoeuvre, one handed operation, 650b compatible (ok maybe not) – the Maclaren gets my vote.

bob_summers

Ask around, we got given two buggy/pram combos – one of which was knackered after serving four kids, the other was practically new.
    If I was buying, I’d spend as little as possible on it, as they grow out of it really quickly, and save the money for a decent pushchair which really will get hammered.

Harry_the_Spider

Mothercare Urban Detour 3 wheeler for us. Has done 2 kids and 4 years service without a hitch. Looking a bit scruffy but still going strong.

Free to a good home if you can pick it up. Prestwich, North Manchester.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Our first (and only at this rate) is due in February, we’re going for one of these bad boys:

Uppababy Vista. We’re going for this because the car seat was the first thing we picked, a maxicosy, and the woman in John Lewis (extremely helpful by the way) talked us through all the makes of pram and this is the most compatible – also, the mother in law is paying and this got her approval so i’m not complaining.

I also agree about the price though, having a baby is almost as expensive as mountain biking

bikerdan
    Free Member

2nd vote for the Baby Jogger City Mini GT. Get the cot and car seat adapters and it will do from birth all the way upwards. It was also cheaper than most of the ones we looked at.

Steelsreal

Solution in the classifieds?

Will never be accepted…

My 2p

Lie flat prammy thing is a must (spine being flat or something)

Make sure it fits in the boot of your car (expensive lesson!)

Make sure you can (both) fold it with one hand!(another sweaty red faced lesson trying to fold a crazy mechanism whilst being watched by 15 new mums all tutting at my incompetence)

Never used the maxi cosi car seat in the push chair (see point 1 re spines)

Make sure you have enough room in storage area under said vehicle for everything you own!

You will never go “off road” (probably)

preparing to have all my points disagreed with…

alfabus
    Free Member

Steelsreal – Member

> Lie flat prammy thing is a must (spine being flat or something)

yes, if they’re going to be in it all day

> Make sure it fits in the boot of your car (expensive lesson!)

essential

> Make sure you can (both) fold it with one hand!(another sweaty red faced lesson trying to fold a crazy mechanism whilst being watched by 15 new mums all tutting at my incompetence)

Agreed. Try them in the shop, you’ll be amazed how complicated some are! This was one of the main reasons we got the Baby Jogger.

> Never used the maxi cosi car seat in the push chair (see point 1 re spines)

Never go shopping in the car? lift out sleeping baby in car seat, clip to buggy, shop, return, go home – all without waking him. God send! just don’t have in there for hours and hours.

> Make sure you have enough room in storage area under said vehicle for everything you own!

Changing bag, coats and camera

> You will never go “off road” (probably)

You will once, then you’ll realise that the shaking about is not worth it – get a sling if you want to go for a bridleway walk.

Dave

stox
    Free Member

We are ordering a Silvercross Wayfarer in the next week or so. Newly released and they seem very popular ..
    We are getting a package deal with a besafe Izi go car seat ( as opposed to Silvercross’ own).

Harry_the_Spider

You will never go “off road” (probably)

But it is nice if you can.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Whichever one you choose, get it off ebay instead of new. Everyone we know including us who did that got items that are in basically as-new condition as they are used so little before becoming obsolete. 60% or thereabouts less than RRP.

FWIW, we got a Bugaboo Chameleon. It was excellent, saving it for the next one.

Steelsreal

But it is nice if you can.

it is but see you there with your slicks on a gravel path! They are rubbish in mud 8)

What tyres for my pram 🙂

Steelsreal

alfabus – Member

Never go shopping in the car? lift out sleeping baby in car seat

Don’t start me there …we went down the Gina Ford route. waking babies was our thing! But thats a topic for another day….

bencooper
    Free Member

Sheesh, 16 posts and no-one has said it yet?

Your don’t need a pram, you need a sling.

No big cumbersome thing to fold, no problems carrying it in a car on public transport, no hassle maneuvering through shops, no problem off-road, and cheaper.

daveh
    Free Member

get it off ebay

This.

And don’t talk to assistants in baby shops: “you could have this £800 pram/spaceship combo, but if you really love that unborn child of yours you’d buy the £1200 one.”

Also, baby sling for £30, that’s how most of the world does it.

daveh
    Free Member

Sheesh, 16 posts and no-one has said it yet?

Lol. Nearly did.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Slings are good, there’s no doubt. But they’re not always a good alternative, we have used both and both have their contextual benefits. Not least that the detachable section of the Chameleon we had doubles up as a travel cot which we used a lot.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Been very happy with our Uppababy Vista over the first 6mths.

Do a search on the forum. This was asked a month or so ago and there’s quitea few us that are happy with uppababy prams.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t get sucked into the great “travel system” swindle.

You ‘re not allowed to keep a baby in a car seat for too long anyway, so having one that plugs into a pram chassis is pointless.

Get a decent lie-down pram (Silver Cross were reasonably priced) and then a pushchair when baby is old enough.

Off-road prams are not as versatile as slings or baby backpacks for going walking.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vista and a Maclaren Techno XR here! One for around town, one for travel.

The Vista is superb. Newborn goes in the carry cot, which doubles up for overnight travel/visits (Not all carry cots can!). The base can take a huge amount of stuff, and trust me, you’ll have it!

Maclaren was bought to go on holiday, and was brilliant.

In short, if you can afford both, do. If not, get the Vista. With child seat adapters.

mrl

Another uppa baby vista here. They have a new called a cruz which has a smaller footprint, probably would get that now. Vista has been brillant living in london, used it bus amd tube and only very occasionallt it has been too big. Travel systems seem to be get a lot of stick but it worked for us. Sling worked at home but not out, baby bjorn was great out.

wrecker
    Free Member

We bought an uppababy vista too. Not too heavy, good value (comes with all the bits unlike some) and pretty easy to fold/unfold.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Definitely look to buy 2nd hand. My brother got the same pram as me 2nd hand for £90 vs £800 new, and seriously it was in absolutely spotless A1 condition. I was seriously P’d off.

BurnBob
    Free Member

Another Uppababy Vista here. Very much reccomend it. 15 months old now, went a big off roadish walk today with no probs. had an issue with one of the wheels which was sorted out by them within a few days, sturdy and well built clever design, looks smart. Plus you don’t look like a sheep by having an icandy.

rp16v
    Free Member

We went for the mother are bundle £250 gets u everything up need car seat,pram/buggy combo(converts using straps) its been great for the 7 weeks its been in use and has proved pretty popular,also we used the mother are payment plan no finance deal just drop money on it when u can they deliver it a week before due date any issues full refund no questions

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Phil & Teds explory here and it’s amazing, built like a tank, as it’s designed to take a second seat underneath. Been everywhere with us, including the beach, and folds flat for sleeps.

user-removed
    Free Member

Every baby thing you go to, be it rhyme-time, singalong, whatever else, you’ll soon see that the system of choice is Maxi Cosi. We have one and it just works. If the wee man’s asleep in the car seat, you can just remove the seat and drop it onto the wheels. If you just use a cheapy buggy, it’s guaranteed that the baby will wake up during the transition between car seat and buggy.

The buggy seat bit can be adjusted from lie flat (new born) to almost upright. Our kid is 11 months and there’s still some room for growth. Highly recommended.

The car seat base is foolproof and if you have two cars, the car seat can be used without the base too…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Phil and teds sport… So you can transport both accidents around together.

matt_outandabout

Don’t get suckered into the bling ones. Cheap, folder McClaren and a backpack papoose is what you need for everything. Smaller, cheaper, simpler and works.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘pramtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.