• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Powdercoating – what preparation needed? Ones in Calderdale area?
  • oopnorth
    Free Member

Thinking of getting the FS resprayed at some point, as its getting quite scratched. Not done this before, so what preparation do I need to think about? I know I need to mask the BB and Headset, what about bearing areas? Will thay mask the areas or should I do it? Whats an average cost?

Anyone know any good powdercoaters in the Calderdale area?

So many questions! 😳

oldgit
    Free Member

Don't mask it take it apart. Ideally you'd want to protect all the threads and bearing surfaces. And you can save money by stripping the paint off.
    £30 – £40

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on the coaters, some are used to doing good jobs on motor bike wheels, display stands etc others are more used to doing fencing and the like. I paid £50 for an almost flawless finish with all the threads/exposed tube ends masked off and actualy came back cleaner than it went, from the former and £20 for a very rough job with runs and bubbles from the latter.

From experience, its not worth the effort of nitromors/sanding/degreasing it yourself, just pay the £15 extra and save yourelf a days work, they'll mask it, bead blast it, vapour degrease it, etc and probably do a beater job than you can. just make sure they know not to shot blast it if its aluminium.

oopnorth
    Free Member

So a bit of masking tape inside the bearing holes would be enough?

takisawa2

If your worried get yourself some high-temp masking tape. I would. Doesnt matter then. I will in fact, when I get my ElCiclon re-powdered. I'll see if we've got any here to spare.
    Other method is some old bearing cups for the BB & headset.
    On a FS its the suspension pivots that I'd be more worried about. A headset could be flap-wheeled, a BB tapped but cleaning powder from pivots could be a right pain.
    Frame would also need a light blast to give a key. Not essential but it will look better.
    Be careful, some right monkeys out there in the industrial painting industry. Go on recomendations.

woody2000

Triple S in Bingley are ok I hear

http://www.triple-s.co.uk/location.htm

I know that's not Calderdale BTW, but not a million miles away. 🙂

oopnorth
    Free Member

Id rather use a firm that has experience with bikes, someone like Triple S, thanks for all your help!!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As Jase said, Triple-S. I got them to do my Blur 4X and you don't need to do anything to the frame, they do everything (mask all bearing surfaces etc. Had it chemically stripped and powdercoated gloss black for £90. Turnaround was about 5 days which compared to Bob Jacksons 5 WEEK turnaround and £130+ cost seemed pretty damn good.

Triple-S were also a joy to deal with. Can't reccommend them highly enough (and yes, its not Calderdale but its only a 20 minute trail-scoping drive over the tops to get there!).

ajf
    Free Member

what you do if you want it powder coated then stickers under varnish? Is that all included in the cost?

Or is that not possible coz of oven baking (or whatever its called?)

oopnorth
    Free Member

Familiar with Bingley, ridden there quite a few times with the lads from Blazing Saddles.
    Thanks again!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for Tripple S..

cbrsyd
    Free Member

And another vote for Triple S

I've used them various motorbike bits. As said they do all the masking for you, provide a great finish, are good to deal and very reasonably priced, and I'm no relation 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you cant put stickers under the powdercoat, you could laquer over them but its fairly pointless as the powdercoat is thick and tough anyway compared to paint.

ajf
    Free Member

you cant put stickers under the powdercoat, you could laquer over them but its fairly pointless as the powdercoat is thick and tough anyway compared to paint.

No I would want the stickers on top of the powdercoating but protected by varnish. I am guessing this is extra.

In fact I will just give them a ring.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Powdercoating – what preparation needed? Ones in Calderdale area?’ is closed to new replies.