• This topic has 37 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by grum.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Post-holiday charges. Is this legal…?
  • Cougar

We stayed in a self-catering place for a few days ago. On our return I was expecting (and agreed to) an additional charge of £20 for use of additional facilities.

Just checked my bank account to find that they’ve taken almost twice that from me. I haven’t knowingly agreed to anything other than the facilities charge, unless it’s in some small print I’ve missed, and I’m pretty incensed that they’ve not even had the decency to tell me what it is or why they’ve done it.

It’s not a round figure and whilst I’ve emailed them to query it and am waiting for a response, I’m expecting they’ve billed me for something ephemeral like cleaning or heating charges (I got the feeling something like this might happen when talking to them previously).

Now, I’m quite happy to take him to task in a “so you bloody think so” stylee, but the question I have is as per the thread subject; is it legal for companies to just help themselves to your bank account without so much as a by-your-leave, or is there a formal procedure they have to follow?

I want to be particularly careful here with regards to ‘the law’ because my spidey-sense is tingling; on our arrival he regaled us with a amusing anecdote about he got a solicitor involved after refusing to let the property to someone with a guide dog because they have a ‘no pets’ rule. I know I’m getting ahead of myself here but just thinking ahead, I have no doubts whatsoever that if I start talking about legal redress he’ll call my bluff.

scruff9252

You watched £40 worth of pron over the space of a couple of nights?

ourmaninthenorth

There are several solicitors on here. I reckon you could soon whip up a legal hit squad.

Oh, and legality sounds dubious but it’s deffo a small print thing.

Cougar

You watched £40 worth of pron over the space of a couple of nights?

Must be pretty high-class stuff at twenty quid a minute, then.

Cougar

I reckon you could soon whip up a legal hit squad.

The way I feel at the minute I’d rather whip up a sock and couple of pool balls, but that’s not a bad idea.

bearnecessities

He was on honeymoon, so it was only £20 x 2 🙂

takisawa2

There’s always good ol’ Trip Advisor…

grum
    Free Member

Sadly, it’s not worth the hassle. I’d be full of righteous fury too but it’s not worth getting agitated about.

Cougar

There’s always good ol’ Trip Advisor…

Oh sure, way ahead of you. The TripAdvisor / Twitter / Facebook / Popular MTB website social media mauling will depend entirely on what sort of response I ultimately get.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

sock and couple of pool balls

The old meat and two veg?

Cougar

Sadly, it’s not worth the hassle. I’d be full of righteous fury too but it’s not worth getting agitated about.

In isolation, for the sake of £20 I’d be inclined to agree, but we’d had other issues earlier (as I said, I half-expected this to happen). The honeymoon was sufficiently upset for me to want to apply the Rimmer directive which states, “no chance you metal bastard.”

Greybeard
    Free Member

If they took money out of your bank account, I assume you set up a direct debit for them to do so? If so, the basis of DD is that the bank will refund any charges you haven’t authorised. So I’d get onto the bank. If you didn’t set up a DD then I’d certainly be having words with the bank!

crankboy
    Free Member

Is it legal? yes sort of if you “agreed” in advance check the terms and conditions. Have a word with your bank and see if they will recall the cash on the basis of a dispute.
    Must say I’d have walked away from booking as soon as he came out with the guide dog story.
    Edit seen that was on arrival not on booking.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

A load of hassle over less than £20?

Let it go, life is too short.

Squidlord
    Free Member

amusing anecdote about he got a solicitor involved after refusing to let the property to someone with a guide dog because they have a ‘no pets’ rule

he sounds like a lovely guy…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is there something hidden in his t&cs saying you have to pay for any electricity you use? A funny amount could be that.

geoffj

bikemike1968 – Member
    A load of hassle over less than £20?

Let it go, life is too short.

I sort of agree – don’t let it spoil your honeymoon more than it has already.
    Exact revenge through the power of social meeja.

boblo
    Free Member

Sounds like DD? Whether DD or CC, I’d get in touch with your Bank and tell them it’s an unauthorised transaction (the uplift not the agreed amount).

They’ll put it on hold and investigate. At the very least, they’ll bugger him about. At best, you’ll get your money back.

I’d do it in your situation for £20, a phone call and some satisfaction. 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that any reputable business would inform you of the exact amount before taking it. It may even be a condition of the direct debit facility?

nealglover
    Free Member

Can’t really understand people saying “it’s only £20, don’t bother”

If an online bike shop took almost double the advertised price off someone’s card for a £20 part without authorisation, the resulting thread on here would break the bloody Internet!

geoffj

If an online bike shop took almost double the advertised price off someone’s card for a £20 part without authorisation, the resulting thread on here would break the bloody Internet!

It’s not just about the money. Sometimes, just walking away and dealing with it in a different way is more rewarding than reclaiming the cash. Obviously the 2 don’t have to be mutually exclusive, but not having to deal with difficult people on the phone can be worth more than the financial loss.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

amusing anecdote about he got a solicitor involved after refusing to let the property to someone with a guide dog because they have a ‘no pets’ rule

name and shame – my granny was blind and I’d like to tell that fekker what I think

Cougar

Stop the presses, cage the hounds and put down the Bombers.

Transpires, this was a mistake on my part. My NEW WIFE went for lunch with an old friend, and the pub they went to had the same name as the accommodation we were staying in. Ergo, I’m a nob and sent the owners an undeserved shitogram.

In my defence the bit with the guide dog is true though, apparently you can choose who you rent to if it’s your property and it’s not suitable for disabled people anyway (despite one of us being, y’know, disabled but not immediately obviously so). #SpecialPleading

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know it’s going to sound unreasonable but have you called them?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

No Cougar this is not for you

Cougar

Trust you lot to dessert me.

nick1962
    Free Member

My NEW WIFE went for lunch with an old friend

Interesting…… 😉

kimbers

just slag em off on tripadvisor

Pook

You’ve got yourself into this trifle. You look a fool so turnover a new leaf and admit the mess you’ve made. You might even get some brownie points.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I thought that dealing with complaints was your bread and butter?

CountZero

Absolutely, next time it could be hundreds and thousands…

RustySpanner

🙂
    Very, very good CZ.

leffeboy

Absolutely, next time it could be hundreds and thousands…

shocking. You should be arrested and taken into custardy for that

RustySpanner

I can see Cougars point though.

£20 is not a trifling sum.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You syllabubber.

br
    Free Member

I know it’s going to sound unreasonable but have you called them?

What! Are you mad? This is the internet age.

Most folk would’ve waited for the explanation (or lack of) before posting… 🙄

maccruiskeen

Must be pretty high-class stuff at twenty quid a minute

No Cream Pie

grum
    Free Member

Well, I would have generally gone down the path of outrage etc – but in the past I’ve got really het up and spent ages sending various emails and reading up on various things because ‘it’s the principle that matters’ and you don’t want to let them get away with it etc. I’d have been far better off just letting it go.

Send a quick email by all means but if that goes nowhere I’d leave it, personally. Chances are there is something in the small print that allows him to do this anyway.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Post-holiday charges. Is this legal…?’ is closed to new replies.