Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Pork pie
  • messiah
    Free Member

On rhe vein of the fridge / chocolate thread; I find my pork pies to be at their best when warm from the bottom of a pocket on a hot day… how do you like yours?

thejesmonddingo

So fresh the jelly is still liquid

PiknMix
    Free Member

Not cold, not hot, always from Melton and with a dash of English mustard.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Brindon Addy, Hade Edge, Holmfirth………..the finest pork pie, scotch eggs and sausage rolls ………ever, fact!

Tom83

Pork an pickle, and prefer them cold.

cheese@4p

Andrew Jones pies rule OK

RustySpanner

Slightly squashed, medium sized, mid ride.

Cut in half before leaving house, apply mustard, reassemble.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Room temp, nice thick crust, in the middle of a ploughmans lunch with Mrs PPs home made pickle (Autumn Chutney is ohhhhhh, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm) and pickled onions, which have some serious kick (Think the hooch scene from the Great Escape)
    🙂

Ben_mw

Further Huddersfield Pork Pie recommendations – E R Grange, Slaithwaite.
    (And he rides too)!

binners

So fresh the jelly is still liquid

Amen to that!

tomaso
    Free Member

40 minutes out the oven warm from the butchers shop served by a lady with silver hair.

Bucking the trend of Yorkshire and Leicester pies the Black Country knows how to make a good pie.

porkpies.com

Ben_mw

Oh, If we’re on about The Black Country, how about Allan Bennett Butchers in Wolverhampton. Very good.

neninja
    Free Member

Voakes pies near Ripon are my favourite by miles. Their pastry is so good. They’ve won ‘Supreme Yorkshire Pork Pie Champion’ several times.

The pork, black pudding and caramelised onion pie is to die for ………… yummy.

The only downside is they only sell wholesale and through farmers markets. Every so often a few of us do a ‘group buy’ and buy a tray of them – they freeze really well.

http://www.voakespies.co.uk/intro.html

Rockape63
    Free Member

M & S do nice pork pies. I like them cold so the pastry is nice and crisp.

Once made the mistake of buying one from sainsburys…..urg!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

On a canalboat trip through deepest Shropshire, we stopped in Ellesmere and discovered Vermuelen’s, the absolute peak of pork pie awesomeness.

jota180
    Free Member

Oven warm with an equally warm serving of peas pudding from the same butcher mmmmmmm…..

senorj

branston pickle & a dab of salad cream.(per bite) mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

off to buy pork pie. 😀

khani
    Free Member

I worked in a pork pie factory, an interesting fact i discovered is a chilled Melton mobrey thrown forty feet across a chiller will knock a grown man out cold without breaking it’s crust… 😳
    It was a very boring job…

hammerite
    Free Member

where do we stand on pies which contain meat other than pork, but are in the style of a pork pie?

I used to work near Darley Dale in Derbyshire. Deli/Coffee shop there called Espresso served an amazing pie called a Smokey Joe. Mixture of pork/game pie but also had smoked cheese in it. It was amazing. Was still paying my student loan off at the time so could only afford a tiny slither every day!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Fresh from the over, jelly dripping down and coagulating on your shirt. I miss living over the road from Weegmanns.

anonymouse
    Free Member

As God intended – warm with mushy peas and mint sauce.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I worked in a pork pie factory, an interesting fact i discovered is a chilled Melton mobrey thrown forty feet across a chiller will knock a grown man out cold without breaking it’s crust…
    It was a very boring job…

Doesn’t sound boring, I’d love a job that involved knocking people out with foodstuff

mountainman

Pork Pies,Game Pies all fantastic fare that has to eaten to really apprieciate with a pint of good real ale,or guinness draught only in Ireland .

nicko74

Cold, definitely.
    Mind you, I prefer sausage butties that way too – it really separates the wheat from the chaff of sausages.

Helios
    Free Member

Homemade.
    [proud pie maker]

[/proud pie maker]

neninja
    Free Member

I know where I’m going to be on Sunday – the Durham Food Festival outside the cathedral. Voakes are going to be there, hopefully some decent purveyors of proper sausages, bacon, black pudding, beer etc too

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I’m from Melton so I can’t not post something on a thread about pork pies. I suspect I was raised on them.

mt
    Free Member

A J Ealse. Carrs Rd. Marsden. Pie of the gods. Great hot cold or warm. Served to you by a man who could only be a butcher as his finger look like large pork sausages. The shop is also right at the bottom of the Wessenden downhill. Brinden Addy’s are good, Andrew Jones are great, E Grange real tasty when hot but they are not even close to A J Ealse.

Melton pies are proof that midlander really don’t know what a proper tasty pie is. Fact!

mt
    Free Member

Rockape63
    M & S do nice pork pies. I like them cold so the pastry is nice and crisp.

Once made the mistake of buying one from sainsburys…..urg!

Nooooooooo!

There are no supermarket bought pork pies that even come close to a proper butchers shop made pork pie. Not M&S not even Waitrose. My god man, if you have have it cold for the pastry to be crispy then then you know it’s a badun. Don’t know where you live but please for your own education come to west of Hudderfield and try almost any butchers shop for a pork pie, you will thank me.

Sorry to sound indignant but this is a real issue we are talking about here, not like some of those silly politics or religious threads and even that Lance thread started by that idiot mt is not as important as pork pies (bless their holy name).

peaks
    Free Member

Another Meltonian here, can’t pass Dickinson and Morris without grabbing a porkie pie, good job that’s now not my daily commute!

peaks
    Free Member

Helios that home made pie looks amazing btw!! What’s in it?

wadsy76
    Free Member

Stanforths, Skipton North Yorks. They are the nuts, but contain no nuts!

Either fresh with melty juices or a warm with mushy peas and mint sauce……….

andyl
    Free Member

This thread just makes me go:

Room temp or slightly warm.

Served with any or a combination of the following:

Piccalilli
    Branson
    Mustard
    Apple chutney
    Spicy pear and apple chutney
    Onion marmalade

and either a nice glass of milk or a nice beer

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Rockape63
    Free Member

Sorry MT, being a southerner, we don’t really do pork pies, but actually m&s whilst not being proper like……..are still tasty!

KonaTC

Cold with an egg in the middle with HP sauce or Branstone Pickle on a warm day

jota180
    Free Member

So not a pork pie then?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Pork pie’ is closed to new replies.