Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pop quiz
  • bearnecessities

Some of this wall seems ok! What’s this bendy metal stuff? Silver when surface scratched.

Come straight up from skirting, into roof space, spurs off where it’s crimped off

Is it…um…my friend, lead? Can I just rip out?

nickjb
    Free Member

It certainly looks and sounds like lead. In a on old property it is probably a remnant of the old water system. The spur is a little odd, though. You can probably just rip it out, but I’d investigate a bit further first.

simmy
    Free Member

As Nick said, I’d investigate where it goes before ripping it out.

I’d bet its an old Gaslight system, I’ve still got mine on the wall as a feature in my bedroom.

Guessing its an upstairs room ? They used to take a spur off the main Gas Pipe to a lamp that was lit to provide light.

We were so poor when I was growing up, I was 7 when we got lights in the upstairs. I’m 36 now so do the maths, probably 1985 ish when we had lights upstairs and I’m not joking.

alibongo001

Pretty sure it is the old gaslight lead pipe there Rich.

When you look at the end of the spur what can you see?

(the only other thing I have seen like it is some lead conduit in my house that used to hold a wire to run the servants bell system!)

bearnecessities

The correct answer was, lead conduit that was housing bell wire! (Thanks to my beautiful, reliable & competent electrician for confirming that tonight)

Alastair, you win a week’s supply of tea and bacon sandwiches. Just show up each morning with about 5 hours spare, an SDS drill and some rigger gloves.

alibongo001

Excellent, do I get to take home £200 a day as well?

If so – see you tomorrow!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pop quiz’ is closed to new replies.