Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Polycarbonate sheet for greenhouse glazing
  • the00
    Free Member

Looks like local kids have chucked a brick over the fences, so I need to replace some glazing. I think polycarbonate will be a sensible choice. I prefer the solid clear sheet that looks most like glass, but the prices all look pretty steep.

I have found 4mm ‘twin wall’ for about £5 for a 2’x4′ sheet, and yet solid 3mm is about £10.

Any places for good prices or tips to get it cheap?

footflaps

Only problem with Polycarbonate is it scratches a lot easier than glass, so over time, looks dirty.

z1ppy

I got some off ebay (don’t stock your size) and am very happy, the new sheet makes make old glass look incredibly dirty, and isn’t too fragile to wash unlike the rest of the glass (or bounce dog toys off, 😳 ), gunna replace any more that break with perspex

Northwind

Polycarb’s usually UV opaque isn’t it? Could be an issue here. (disclaimer: I know nothing)

johndoh
    Free Member

Interested in this thread myself – was thinking about getting sheets of it to cover my raised beds to act as cold frames next spring – will that work? (This year’s experiment with polythene was a disaster).

the00
    Free Member

Perspex is cheaper, but less tough.

Polycarb does block UV, but not an issue for the plants.

Would think that Polycarb over raised beds should work nicely. What happened with the polythene? Did it just catch water?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Polycarbonate sheet for greenhouse glazing’ is closed to new replies.