Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • polarizing filters
  • rOcKeTdOg

any recommendations? to fit canon

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

round

mogrim

Circular.

druidh
    Free Member

Circular

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

& flat

ski
    Free Member

Is it for a autofocus or manual focus system?

Hoya do a good range of screw in filters

B+W are the bling choice 😉

mogrim

Not so flat they don’t have a screw thread, though.

vinnyeh

in case you thought ‘circular’ was being facetious, it doesn’t refer to the shape, but the type- there are two types, linear and circular- linear doesn’t work too hot on slrs – not much chance you’d get sold one though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Not so flat they don’t have a screw thread,

flat glass
    unflat unglass

cp

this in a p-sized holder from 7dayshop.com

vinnyeh

simonfbarnes – Member

Not so flat they don’t have a screw thread,

flat glass
    unflat unglass

not strictly true though, is it Simon- old windows being a case in point

rOcKeTdOg

autofocus bog standard EF-S 18-55mm lens

cp

‘linear’ polarisers don’t work well with AF systems, ‘circular’ is what you need

ski
    Free Member

Yep, have a nose for a circular polariser

ski
    Free Member

Think you need a 58mm thread, will tell you on the back of the lens cap 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I would push the boat out and get either a Lee or Cokin Z Pro holder and filter…. will cost you somewhere north of £200, but it gives more flexability going ahead (screw in filters just started pissing me off as I would want to throw in an ND Grad too)

It also means that you only need to buy 1 filter rather than replicate it for every lens!

ski
    Free Member

Just watch out for the vignetting on wide angle lenses using square filter systems 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Don’t get it on the square filters at 17mm (full frame) using the Z Pro, so long as I reverse the holder. The polerizer does cause some vignetting at that focal length, but push it up a bit (around 18 – 19mm I think) and there is no issue at all!) That should allow you a 10mm-11mm focal length on a crop sensor 😉

rOcKeTdOg

oof £200 how about £15.48 😉
    cheap and nasty?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

hoya ultra thin if you are using an 18mm lens otherwise you’ll get vignetting.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

the story about old windows being thicker at the bottom due to flow is apocryphal – it’s just that the glass used to be cast that way…

vinnyeh

simonfbarnes – Member

the story about old windows being thicker at the bottom due to flow is apocryphal – it’s just that the glass used to be cast that way…

Thanks Simon. Tossed in the urban myth pile.

el_creedo
    Free Member

If you’re buying one – consider my recent good luck at Jessops, and perhaps with some cunning you may be able to instigate a similar experience:

– Jessop’s own 67mm cir-polarising filter is about 35% cheaper than a Hoya one; so being poor – i went in asking for one.
    – They didn’t have it
    – The salesman told me that they did have a Hoya one, and that it was their policy to sell the next cheapest available option to people for the same price if their own brand was not in stock
    – I walk out of the shop with a £62 Hoya green series filter for £40

BTW – i run this on a Nikkor 18-135mm lens and do not suffer vignetting even at 18mm.
    Good luck. A Polariser is the best thing you can add to your SLR.

samuri
    Free Member

circular P-series filter. You buy one filter and then adaptors for each lens you want to use it with, saves you a fortune. I have a circular poloriser and some grad filters which all fit in the same adaptors and on any of my lenses. It’s a little bit of a faff fitting them but it’s well worth the saving.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Wot Samuri said (I have the same)

stumpy01

I’ve got the P-series filter system and to be honest, find it such an arse that for most photo stuff I can’t be bothered with it. I do get the ND grads out though sometimes.

For polarising duties, I’ve got a Hoya, which does the job.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

” mrmichaelwright – Member

hoya ultra thin if you are using an 18mm lens otherwise you’ll get vignetting. ”

Is that 18mm on a FF sensor?

I use a Hoya green circ polariser on a Canon 17-85 on a crop sensor and get no vignetting at 17mm, but if there is a UV filter between the polariser and the lens then a little vignetting is noticable. Just have to remember to take the UV filetr off.

GrahamS

– The salesman told me that they did have a Hoya one, and that it was their policy to sell the next cheapest available option to people for the same price if their own brand was not in stock
    – I walk out of the shop with a £62 Hoya green series filter for £40

You mean like this one? (£16 on eBay):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hoya-58mm-Green-Series-Circular-Polariser-CPL-Filter_W0QQitemZ140304550209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN

rOcKeTdOg

what difference does the ‘green’ part make? better colours of landscape as opposed to sky?

GrahamS

I don’t think it is actually green. Just a branding / quality-level thing.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

‘green’ as in the colour of the paper card inside the packageing is the basic model. I think the Hoya ‘Pro’ is the more fancy model.

The green one I got works just fine. Unless you’re on L series lenses then I can’t see the point in really expensive filters.

try kerso on ebay, he’s quite competitive on filters and stuff like that

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘polarizing filters’ is closed to new replies.