Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Polarised or non-Polarised Sunglasses?
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

Does it make any difference in real-world use? Is it worth paying £50 on top of the £100 it would cost for non-polarised versions? Talking about off-the-bike ones.

When you ask opticians what the difference is, they always make you look at a chart which has been designed to show a different image when worn with a polarised lens to one without, but I’m struggling to see the differece it would make in the real world.

yetidave
    Free Member

I use them when sailing, reduce glare significantly but still allow you to see the changes of smoothness in the water, reduce number of headaches on those two really sunny days a year. I also have a very cheap pair for driving for similar reasons. Great on those wet/sunny winter days. Spending an extra £50??, cheap pair were about £10 from tesco, expensive ones were about £50.

dashed
    Free Member

Great for fishing, sailing, water etc where it takes the surface glare away but I don’t like them for driving – sometimes give a strange effect on road surface and some LED displays (radio etc) appear blank!!

yetidave
    Free Member

some LED displays (radio etc) appear blank

turn your head to one side, then they don’t!

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Polarised for driving if you can. All the glare off the road and windscreen in lowish light should just vanish. It was a revelation the first time I wore a pair in the car and noticed the shine off the top of the dash and reflection of the dash in the windscreen disappear.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Makes a massive difference in May for when you go fly fishing !!

Much easier to tell your Trout from a Greyling with polarised specs 😀

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes, I wear them for driving now. Makes a big difference.

Rachel

Alejandro
    Free Member

Buf if I don’t fish…? 😉

Thanks for all the responses. I’m still considering but looks like it won’t make a massive difference for me.

footflaps

I always get polarised sun glasses, do help with removing glare, although some cheaper compact camera LCDs appear blank in portrait orientation.

DrJ

I like polarised ones – they make skies look much more dramatic so my dull life seems more interesting.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re not doing a water based sport then they are of little benefit.

Alejandro
    Free Member

If you’re not doing a water based sport then they are of little benefit.

This is what I’m beginning to conclude from my Googling.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“don’t fish”

What you doing on STW ??

Simply Trout World

popstar
    Free Member

Strangely I get more reflections when driving. But I drive London bus, all those extra assault screens make mad reflections with original windows. It’s a nightmare those polarised glasses. And not seeing led instrument cluster makes things even worse. I say they are rubbish for driving, but nice on normal walk about etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Polarised or non-Polarised Sunglasses?’ is closed to new replies.