Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Plywood fixings – ideas sought from the makerists of STW
  • thenorthwind

I’m putting together a modular storage system for the back of my Berlingo out of 9mm ply. There’s a lot of space in there, but it’s not that useful as-is as there’s nothing to stop anything moving around. It will eventually provide the option of a sleeping platform too, but the idea is it can all (except the base) be removed quickly and easily for shifting big stuff.

My design (I say design, I’m largely making it up as I go along) at the moment is based around using these loose pin hinges as connections between boards:

They’re strong, fairly easy to fit, fairly easy to take apart and cheap. But they’re not ideal – the pins can be a bit stiff to pull out sometimes, particularly if you don’t quite get them lined up right.

Any better ideas for strong but removable fixings using cheap, easily available parts?

slackalice
    Free Member

I quite like your loose pin hinge idea, so on that vein, how about some lightweight Rising Hinges?

twang
    Free Member

Search eBay for keku fittings, they might do what you want to do . Not sure why you want to dismantle it though, can’t you just screw it together?

kormoran
    Free Member

Maybe replace the pins with a sort of allen key that is circular rather than hex so it is easier to pull out. I guess you could probably make a pin like that from some steel or alu rod

towzer

could you use an R clip (upside down) as the hinge pin

thenorthwind

Rising hinges are a good idea, but they seem to be more expensive (I need quite a few). I’d also definitely end up building something that I then couldn’t put together/take apart because I hadn’t left clearance for the hinge 🙂

Not sure why you want to dismantle it though, can’t you just screw it together?

the idea is it can all (except the base) be removed quickly and easily for shifting big stuff.

😀

I like the Keku fittings though. What I particularly like is that I can get a 10 pack from Screwfix for less than a fiver (about the same price as the four pairs of loose pin hinges I’ve just bought). Not sure about the strength, I’ll have to go get some and have a look at them.
    Yes, replacing the pin on the loose pin hinges with something easier to pull out is a good idea. A simple L shape like an allen key would probably work.

Thanks all.

project
    Free Member

Cut a slot the thickness of the plywood, half way down each end of the sides about 3 inches in ans interlock the left hand side into the right hand side.

Easily done with a jigsaw.

thenorthwind

That’s exactly what I’ve done (well, Ok, I routed it) with the joint where that transverse cross piece in the middle meets the longitudinal piece. If you look closely you can see it. Those two pieces also slot into the base board.

I was intending to do more of it like that, but the problem is that it’s not as secure, and you can’t do it flush with the end of a board. That joint in the bottom picture would have to be moved at least 10 or 20mm towards the camera so that there’s enough material behind the joint to hold it.

kayak23

I think your loose pin hinge is a good idea.
    Is it possible to drill the end of the pin and fit a keyring ring into it for easy pullage?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I’d go with project’s idea of cutting a slot half way down each piece

You could cut several slots in different positions which would allow you to arrange it differently depending on need. We have cardboard inserts for packing boxes at work that use this method and they’re very adaptable

takisawa2

I’d buy some plastic storage boxes & put my feet up.

maccruiskeen

replace the pin with a longer bit of wire / rod, bent over at the top (like a tent peg) so that theres more to grab for puling the pins out. The wire can be a smaller diameter too – no need for it to be a tight fit if the hinge isn’t actually hinging.

If you’ve not already bought all the hinges – these type, used in theatres – might be a bit burlier and move the screws away from the edge of the boards a bit

Flints Theatrical Chandlers

thenorthwind

As I said, I’ve done some of the joints with slots, but it’s not suitable for all of them. It doesn’t work where I need to butt two panels together.

Thanks for the link Maccruiskeen. They do look more suitable, I’ll consider ordering some and taking the ones I’ve got back to Screwfix. The fiver postage and the fact they comes in packs of 10 is a bit of a pain though.

Agreed that replacing the pins in the hinges I’ve got with smaller diameter wire and shaping a “handle” in would improve things.

I thought about trying to drill a hole for a “puller” – it would be possible but tricky, they’re only 3 or 4mm wide.

kayak23

thought about trying to drill a hole for a “puller” – it would be possible but tricky, they’re only 3 or 4mm wide

Centre punch first, should be ok, though using a bent wire as suggested is easier I guess.

The only other thought for the butting, not crossing panels is keyhole fixings where you have the plates in one side and interlocking screws in the other though the thickness of your ply is a bit of a limiter.

This sort of thing, recessed into the panel or proud and the opposing screws on the other panel.

Or…

If you search for ‘knock down’ fixings, there’s tons of options out there.
    Hafele is a company that generally has everything.

thenorthwind

I like the look of those. I’ve found lots like the bottom picture searching “bed fixings” – where did you find the top ones? Same idea but they look a bit nicer.

Yes, the thickness of the ply is a bit limiting – using 1/2″ no. 8 screws with the hinges nearly works, but still leaves a little point sticking through which needs filing off. I CBA drilling holes, bolting washering and nutting all of them though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Plywood fixings – ideas sought from the makerists of STW’ is closed to new replies.