Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plumbingtrackworld, Very low water pressure
  • fettling
    Free Member

Returning home this evening and we have very low water pressure. Cannot run shower or dishwasher, boiler only just got enough pressure to heat water and says 1.4 bar whilst doing so.

The neighbours are having an extension built and it looks like the plumber has been today (old hot water tank and pipes in back garden). What are the chances that he has done something that could affect our water supply?

xora

Got the wrong cock in the street?

fettling
    Free Member

Can you share cocks?

I did check with our other neighbours (we are mid terrace) and they don’t have a problem. He was in the shower…

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Can you share cocks?

Must not make obvious comment…..

But yes – in both instances 😉

fettling
    Free Member

Let’s hope the builders are in tomorrow, they have been about most Saturdays. It is tempting to call out an emergency plumber and charge the neighbours should that prove to be the problem. Not very neighbourly though.

konagirl
    Free Member

It is not like the neighbour’s plumber could have blocked your water supply with debris – either they have turned down/off an external stop-cock (possibly shared, possibly by mistake) or your internal pipework is leaking or the mains pipe is leaking somewhere. Is the cold water feed low, i.e. in the kitchen? As long as you are convinced any external stop-cock from the mains to your house branch is fully open and you can’t hear a leak anywhere inside your house, I would be tempted to call the water board and explain.

And yes you can share external stop-cocks: e.g. Thames Water page.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If you are mid terrace you could be on a common supply, if you are it needs some investigation which the water company may do

If you are a separate supply then you may have a leak or the neighbours plumber has messed with your stop tap

fettling
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.
    Managed to get hold of the builder by text. He is on site tomorrow at 8.30 so we can find out for sure if they have done anything. Otherwise it’s water company followed by plumber 🙁

Between the builders next door and the Gas main being replaced last week for the whole road anything could have happened.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

The stop cock nearest isn’t always the correct one. My last house had water meter/stop cock in the pavement outside my neighbours house his was outside mine. Queue lots of cock ups with water bills and meter readings

gears_suck
    Free Member

A shared water main can be a problem because, often the stop tap in the street is rarely used. If your neighbours inside stop tap didn’t function when the plumber came to do work, the easiest option is for him to isolate properties feed by this main in the street. When reinstating the supply. It’s possible he either hasn’t opened the tap all the way or accumulated debris (lime scale or other impurities) lodged in the stop tap have made their way into your supply.
    I would first make sure the main isolator is fully open and if so, isolate in the street again and begin working my way back, starting with your stop tap.
    Incidentally, the pressure in your boiler (you say 1.4 bar) has absolutely nothing to do with your cold main. I’m sure someone can explain this to you if you need to understand. It’s not relevant in this instance though.
    Bear in mind. It’s quite possibly not your neighbours or their plumbers fault. It could just have easily been a reverse situation had you needed plumbing work first.
    Lets hope he’s a decent plumber and willing to help you out.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Loss in static pressure usually indicates a leak, loss of pressure on demand a restriction

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plumbingtrackworld, Very low water pressure’ is closed to new replies.