Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Plumbing Track World – Radiator Tails….
  • myopic
    Free Member

Fitting some new radiators. The tails that were in the old ones have ptfe tape round the threads. I’ve never really found this necessary – but should I change my ways and put new PTFE tape round the threads where the tails screw into the radiators? Ye or Nay?

wwaswas

I’ve always done it.

The more the better, ime – some of the threads on radiators seem to be a bit approximate for fit.

Stoner
    Free Member

I always put ptfe around radiator tails. Put on more than you think.

It’s compression olives that should never have ptfe on them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The more the better, ime”

are you a plumber ? – or using crap PTFE>

Swagelock tape is ace stuff – stuff from BnQ not so ….

wwaswas

are you a plumber ?

nope.

hence the ‘ime’ rather than ‘atpl’ (according to plumbing law).

myopic
    Free Member

Where do you get Swagelock tape, Trail Rat? I haven’t heard of that. Would you recommend that over PTFE? (IANAP)

trail_rat
    Free Member

it is ptfe tape.

its just good quality ptfe tape – i imagine any quality PTFE tape will be as good ……

i use the swagelock stuff at work and its not thin like its made from a latex examination glove like the cheap crap it also doesnt tend to rip and damage as easy.

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I am not a plumber
    I use liquid PTFE from screwfix. Easy to use and not had any issues.

myopic
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a quality PTFE other than Swagelok? I can’t find a local stockist – I’m in Edinburgh

wwaswas

just standard ptfe but more of it is fine for most people.

I tend to keep going until the threads are barely visible as ridges in the tape. Anythign less can mean draining it all down again and having another go.

[/I am not a plumber]

hooli

I was told about this stuff by a plumber, never had an issue with radiators since.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/loctite-55-pipe-seal-cord-50m/42142

parkesie
    Free Member

Tails for our new radiators were a very approximate fit ptfe to death.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Radiator tails are tapered threads and need PTFE, or some form of jointing compound. Compression fittings (nut and olives) are just that and don’t need PTFE. People who wrap PTFE round the threads of of a compression fitting don’t understand how the fitting works.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As Paulo says, use PTFE on rad tails, 15 wraps if it’s cheapish tape.

delibury

I use the yellow gas tape from screwfix, it’s thicker so only 1 or 2 wraps.

andyl
    Free Member

Swagelok is a brand of lovely stainless steel pipe fittings (often used in labs, chemical industry etc). Their stuff is good quality.

I use the thick gas stuff on large (3/4″) compressed air lines but prefer using normal thin stuff (and quite a bit but not excessive amounts) on smaller fittings and water plumbing as I find it gets in the smaller threads better.

I did start using the Fernox putty stuff too (potable safe version) on compression joints just for an extra level of security.

bonchance
    Free Member

learn from my mistakes – 12+ wraps thin ptfe tape!

2 or so if it’s gas tape (readily available screwfix etc.).

totalshell

i am a plumber and fitted 9 rads today..
    i was always a fan of ptfe and boss white on the internal threads but the oil in the boss white can run when hot and leavean oily residue so its standard ptfr wll the way.. hold the tail in your left hand and wrap the tape round the threads clockwise. i start at the outside and put about ten turns on always finishing off at the inner end of the thread ie the outside of the rad..
    NEVER had a rad tail leak Never..( waiting for tonights fone call now i ve said that..)

leffeboy

ianap, but do a lot of this stuff myself and that loctite 55 rocks. Used to have hassle with the standard DIY shop stuff as the quality appeared variable but the loctite stuff tells you how many turns for what pipe diam, you use that, and it works.

myopic
    Free Member

Well, thanks, Guys. IANAP and I have 7 rads to do tomorrow. Could be a long day

myopic
    Free Member

Another thought – should there be a gasket or rubber O ring at the end of the tail for an additional seal? There are none in the ones I’ve taken out. Wondering if they have perished or if they are just not needed….

myopic
    Free Member

Bump

takisawa2

No, tapered threads are self sealing.
    Just wrap it well clockwise onto the thread starting from the smallest (inner) end.
    Some rad threads are stupidly oversize, so plenty of tape. Till the thread looks practically smooth.

Bear
    Free Member

Just use Loctite thread seal

http://uk.farnell.com/loctite/483283/pipe-sealing-cord-50m/dp/1370088?mckv=ZknBFzrm|pcrid|47044087269|plid|&CMP=KNC-GUK-FUK-GEN-LISTINGS

Way better than standard PTFE

myopic
    Free Member

Thnaks, Guys 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

People who wrap PTFE round the threads of of a compression fitting don’t understand how the fitting works.

PTFE does have the effect of “lubricating” the thread, so it makes it easier to tighten the fitting. Just saying… No effect on how the olive seals.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing Track World – Radiator Tails….’ is closed to new replies.