Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Plumbing – fixing overflow behind the bath
  • nixie

I’ve discovered a leak from the overflow pipe on our bath this morning. The pipe has come completely off the drain under the bath. That looks easy enough to fix however it has also come away from the overflow. This is on the wall side of the bath and does not appear accessible. Are there any tricks for getting this back on without removing the bath? I’m assuming I can’t remove enough of the overflow in situ to make reconnection and assembly easy.

I’m kind of resigned to not having an overflow or having to block the old one and fit a new one in an accessible location. There doesn’t seem to be any repair units for sale that can be entirely fitted via the old hole (unless I’ve missed something).

project
    Free Member

Youll also need to block the overflow pipe where it enters the waste pipe, because if it ever moves or falls down when you empty the bath the water wil also flow out of the overflow.

Removal of the bath and a proper repair would be beter, a bath full of water with no overflow is going to do serious damage, also if its chipboard flooring check if its a greenish colour, thats a water proof chipboard, biscuit colour and its going to soak up spilled water like a biscuit.

Leigh
    Free Member

Can you undo the overflow on the bath and let the back plate drop down, re connect the pipe and use the pipe to poke it back up behind the bath and do it back up?

nixie

I’ve blocked it temporarily with a old expanding wine cork. It’s an old house so proper wood floor boards. They are damp, as is the ceiling in the hall :(.

I’d rather a proper repair, guaranteed the only time we’d need the overflow is when it wasn’t there.

I’ve pushed a thin pipe through the overflow in the bath for the moment. Going to try and use that as a guide to get the hose on but I’m not hopeful. Also thought about removing and refitting however if it gets that far I’m going to be lazy and get someone else in

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Plumbing – fixing overflow behind the bath’ is closed to new replies.