Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Please help – Crayon stuck up nose
  • Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve just been informed by #2 son that he stuck a crayon up his nose today at school and has managed to push it so far up he can’t reach it anymore.

I’ve had a good look up there (joystick mk7, nice tight 😆 beam…) but can’t see much of anything. I’ve gotten him to blow through just that nostril really hard but apart from some random lumps of snot and a lot of air, nothing has shifted.

I’m loathe to take him to the emergency medical place (60 quid, 4 hour wait) or the A&E (£125, 50min drive ew, 10 min wait) as he appears quite ok.

Any other tips/tricks that might work and as he appears relatively unbothered (He’s sad that he’s having to sleep with it up his nose) can it wait until morning (when it’s just £50 and a 20min wait).

Cheers!

v8ninety

That’s got appropriate for A&E (preferably with an ENT dept next door) written all over it. Bummer that you have to pay.

garage-dweller

Why would you NOT go to a&e?

Seriously its not worth the risk.

Onzadog
    Free Member

When did they start charging?

lesgrandepotato

If it was me I couldn’t sleep until he was right… I’d have him down there in a flash.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Shame it’s not a peanut as the solution is to pour chocolate up the nose and it comes out a treat.
    I’m here all week. Hope you sort it out.

v8ninety

When did they start charging?

Presumably, when they realised that they weren’t in the UK? (10 minute wait would also be a strong clue 😆 )

Markie
    Free Member

Id be heading to A and E.

shermer75
    Free Member

If you were a mathematician you could work it out with a pencil

allthegear
    Free Member

Presumably, an engineer would use a hammer, then?

Saccades
    Free Member

Yeah, sorry – I’m in Ireland.

Have phoned local emergency place and just waiting on a nurse to phone me back, receptionist thinks I might have to drive to the A+E.

I knew I should have gotten her a bloody cat instead 😉

Thanks for the amusing replies too – I’m a chemical engineer so I’ve been looking for some flanged pipe and 30 gallons of caustic soda.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My nephew once stuck a nosecone from a 1/72 scale Hasegawa F4 Phantom up his nose (he mustv’e thought it was a cone for his nose)
    That took some getting out.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Haahah!

drlex
    Free Member

Giant centrifuge?

Saccades
    Free Member

Off to A+E we go, have just discovered that as he’s under 6 the treatment is free.

which is nice.

benp1

He either has a massive nose or it was a tiny crayon no?

Impressive. Hope it comes out ok. Then get him to start charging for his act

maccruiskeen

I’m in Ireland

That explains everything – the charging for medical care and the crayon stuck up the nose.

teethgrinder

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My ex GF’s son once put some dry spaghetti in his ear cos it was itchy. It snapped off & had to go to ENT in Sunderland to remove it.
    That was on my Dad’s 80th birthday party night. 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

Was it a green one?

RustySpanner

Give him a couple of wax on the back of the head?

Scapegoat

I got a phone call at work from my son’s school telling me he had managed to get the clicky top from a ballpoint stuck in his ear. I therefore blagged an hour off and collected him from school to run him to casualty. They were very kind and soon had it out using forceps. He was very brave and hardly made any fuss at all, even when the nurses took the piss. He was in yr 11, 6’1″ and an 18 stone county prop…… 😀

stavromuller
    Free Member

Get it out ASAP or this could be the result
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiT4jT1NWU[/video]

johndoh
    Free Member

I can’t grasp the concept of ‘I’ve got a kid with a crayon up his nose but it’ll cost me money to sort it out – give me a suggestion of how I can do it for free because his health isn’t as important as my money’.

But then I’m me and you are you.

Edit, pity him when he’s a bit older.

Christ on a bike.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well, I think I can beat this.

When I was 20 and in a student house, the industrial type fire alarm became stuck on and remained on even when we turned off the power. The landlord was a good couple of hour’s drive away so rather than endure 120dB I decided to stick tissue in my ear.

Hours later, fire alarm stopped. Tissue didn’t want to come out. Helpful housemate suggests water to shift it. Tissue disintegrates and sticks to my ear drum. Cue six hour wait in A&E, not one but two registrars who couldn’t shift it and then them having to wake up the on call consultant ENT guy and get him in to have a look (about 4am by this point).

And I was entirely sober too.

My left ear has never been the same :-/

Saccades
    Free Member

Good news/bad news…

Bad news is the private medical A+E won’t take him as they don’t have the equipment.

Good news (for me) is the wife is going to take him to the regular A+E as she can’t sleep from worry.

Bad news is that it is her B’day today and the last time we at the regular A+E there it took over a day for results to come back in.

Get over yourself Johndoh – Read the OP again, I was asking if I needed to “block up” an accident and emergency place when the patient appears fine, i.e. could it wait until morning, giving all the info for making the decision.

If it had appeared serious I wouldn’t have bothered to post on here asking for advice and would be breaking the speed limit heading up towards the hospital.

According to the local emergency place and my private medical nurse it IS a serious matter and he’s on his way.

Where the **** do I say that my money is more **** important than his health? ****.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What happened to homer when they took out the crayon?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Your son is Ralph Wiggum. Teach him this trick and save yourself a drive

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XY5yCUJX06o[/video]

shifter
    Free Member

Quality thread. Fancy having to pay for A&E? What sort of a union is this?

fasthaggis

If they are stuck for ideas at A&E.

Track pump up unblocked nostril,plug all other non nostril orifices.

splonk

OrmanCheep
    Free Member

You could try pressing the good nostril shut and blowing into his mouth. I am not a doctor etc etc, but a GP friend told me to do it at a family party when my daughter stuck some apple up her nose. Flew out no problem. Was rather gross though.

WillH

pistonbroke – Member
    Shame it’s not a peanut as the solution is to pour chocolate up the nose and it comes out a treat.
    I’m here all week. Hope you sort it out.

My little sister stuck a peanut up her nose when she was about two, but didn’t tell anyone. It had gone up into her sinuses and eventually started to rot. At some point the rancid smell that followed her was traced to her nostrils, and so off to A&E we went. I was too young to remember, but my folks reckon everyone in the room was practically sick on the spot at the stench when the doc pulled the slimy brown remains from her nose 😯

Drac

Hope he gets sorted.

Anyone else laughing at the irony of Johndoh’s post, he who can’t take a shit without asking on here?

njee20
    Free Member

What happened to homer when they took out the crayon?

He got really clever, hated it and shoved a crayon back up there!

Tracey

When I was seven I managed to get a green wax crayon stuck up my nose, pretending it was snot and sniffed it back up. No amount of blowing or picking would bring it back down so I was carted of to A & E who had some long scissor type tweezers which whipped it out in no time.
    Not the only daft thing I have been guilty of.

Esme
    Free Member

Was it green when it went in, or only when it came out?

unknown
    Free Member

Anyone else laughing at the irony of Johndoh’s post, he who can’t take a shit without asking on here?

Isn’t he the guy who whacked his kids in the face with his old chap? I was just wondering if that or a crayon is more damaging in the long run.

jakd95
    Free Member

As a kid (young enough that I don’t remember it) I got one of the foam beads that are used to fill beanbags stuck up my nose. Had to have a general anaesthetic for them to get it out.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Since my cancer treatment on my neck I have regular check ups when they stick an endoscope up my nose to have a look at the site of the cancer in my throat. Apart from making my eyes water it’s not too bad.
    Any chance the crayon could have gone right through?

aracer
    Free Member

So you were quoting private costs in the OP, and there is still a normal free A&E available? (genuine question, I’ve no idea how healthcare works in Ireland)

the last time we at the regular A+E there it took over a day for results to come back in.

With a kid? Clearly it’s all sorted now, but my experience of taking kids to hospital is that you tend to get prioritised, I doubt the wait would be huge.

If it had appeared serious I wouldn’t have bothered to post on here asking for advice and would be breaking the speed limit heading up towards the hospital.

I think the reaction from some people is because it’s obviously (to them) serious – no criticism intended.

I think it was a peanut I shoved up my nose when I was a kid – extracted in A&E.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Please help – Crayon stuck up nose’ is closed to new replies.