Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Planet X – Thinking of buying a nanolight
  • andyfla
    Free Member

Anyone got one ?
    Do you like it ?

What else should I buy for the £2.5K range ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Defo! I’ve had the HiMod version since christmas – bought as frame / fork module – and it’s better than any other road frame I’ve used. The weight / control / comfort combo continues to amaze me. It’s well finished too. I couldnt recommend it enough! If you can get to Donny it’s probably worth swinging your leg over one – especially as they’re open on Saturdays now.

andyfla
    Free Member

I thought they were based in Lancashire ?
    Where abouts in Donny ?

andyfla
    Free Member

Just found out they have a showroom in Derby, so no worries I shall go and have a look

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’d have to say this….

or push the budget a little for this…..

andyfla
    Free Member

which one is it ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

top one is an Ultimate cf slx 8.0 at £2629
    and the bottom one is an aeroad cf 9.0 at £2889.
    Both have had really good uk write ups and I think someone off here has the aeroad.

andyfla
    Free Member

look very nice, but not sure I can get the aeroad past the sfo, so the Ultimate it maybe, now just need to work thro9ugh there bike fitting thingy

Spud

The showroom in Derby is at a place that does fittings etc, have some of the PX bikes in. I went a couple of months ago to be fitted for one. I have to purchase for injury-related reasons. But would recommend them.

andyfla
    Free Member

Nice to go somewhere that will actually fit me at the same time, I shall pay them a visit

sefton
    Free Member

I’m sorry but we can only advise “what bike £1000” threads 😀

I have a PX SL red which I think is excellent – however for 2.5k there’s a lot to think about – have fun!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden one but I’m tempted to try also.

A friend has one and loves it.

I just want the frame.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

andyfla – Member
    I thought they were based in Lancashire ?
    Where abouts in Donny ?

Sorry Andy, Donny = Doncaster. They’re Yorkshire and proud (check the white roses all over some of the OnOne steel mtb frames…) No one’s perfect of course!

That aside, 🙂 they seem able to combine value and performance remarkably well. Go have a chat with them – it’s worth a drive.

andyfla
    Free Member

went into the “shop” near derby, very impressed, I think that is a decision made, just need to get it past parliament now …..

daveh
    Free Member

HQ is in Rotherham now btw, they moved about a year ago iirc, just off J34 behind Magna. Nanolight wasn’t well reviewed by cycling plus, if that means anything to you (very close to starting a magazine advertising spend/favourable review thing here). Ribble is worth considering too.

andyfla
    Free Member

Any link to it, just searched the internet (all of it, not a page left unchecked ….)and I cant find anything – thought it would be on bike radar, but no

daveh
    Free Member

Easiest if i just type it I think:

Cycling Plus Bike of the Year 2010
    Planet X, not for the first time, has put together an unbelievable package – a full Dura-Ace equipped carbon road bike weighing just 7kg for £2500. That’s an achievement in anyones book. But while there’s much to admire about the Planet X, our team of testers expressed a couple of areas of doubt. First off, the clearance between the rear brake bridge and the tyre is only a few millimeters – much less than any of the other bikes here – so you’re limited to 23s. Secondly, there was too much flex at the front end, something that was most apparent when sprinting hard or descending. So, very close to being an outstanding bike, but ultimately let down in a couple of crucial areas. 6/10.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Daveh – yep; my mistake (and I’ve been there!) – they are in Rotherham – details here. Sorry about that. 😳

However, that Nanolight review doesn’t correspond to the current model lineup. There are just a few standard Nanolights left I think, but the High Modulus and Guru versions are markedly stiffer – as well as dropping below 1kg for the frame weight. They do still have tight clearance though, so 23 is pretty much the usable max tyre width. I’m 13.5 stone and have no issues with flex on my Hi Mod.

andyfla
    Free Member

cheers once again everyone

JimSu
    Free Member

I have got a large frame Nano (high modulus) and live just south of Sheffield if you would like a demo, they dont unfortunatley offer demo rides but I did manage to borrow 2 models of their road bikes before buying. I am interested in the flex issue as I have had one severe/scarey and one less severe episode of speed wobble at about 35+ MPH, Planet X deny there is any issue with the bike and I am not a roady so have no experience to draw on.

Send me a PM if you would like to take me up on a test ride.
    Jim

daveh
    Free Member

I ride a cervelo s1 and it’s utterly stable, even 50+mph. The frame does favour stability over quick response though, possibly because of it’s dual purpose TT nature. I couldn’t be doing with a frame with a tendancy to wobble, at 15 stone and living in Sheffield, 35+mph is all too regular.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Wow, wouldn’t expect any good road bike to suffer from speed wobbles let alone one costing £2.5k+. My Giant TCR Advanced hasn’t quite hit 50mph (about 0.1mph off it) and is still completely stable. Even my Giant SCR (about £650 new) doesn’t wobble at speed.

Does sound like a good deal getting Dura-Ace on it but the Canyons look like a deal, a steal, the sale of the f*****g century! I think you’d struggle to build a bike up with new sale parts and get it to the spec and weight.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Speed wobble could be caused by anything though? A slightly buckled wheel or loose headset or a poorly seated tire etc. etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep Planet X H.O. at J34 of the M1, its literally about 5mins from the mortorway.

I went to return some tyres and they have a complete floor full of bikes and nice stuff. I would check weekend opening though as it was a big industrial unit and looked more like an office than a shop, but the guys did say they were open to the public.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Planet X – Thinking of buying a nanolight’ is closed to new replies.