Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Planet X – London Road Vrs Whyte Suffolk
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

I as lots of people are looking to get a new road bike that is better suited to winter conditions, full mudguard mounts and disc brakes as well as being my only road bike so can still do decent long road rides and not to give away to much speed over a standard road bike. Will be looking to do a few 100mile sportives on it next summer.

My plan was to try out in the next few weeks a Whyte Suffolk which is £1200 (£200 more than I wanted to spend) but I have seen with the current 20% off at planet X that I could get the London Road for £800 which is a pretty huge saving just for having BB7 disc brakes rather than the TRP hydraulic cable operated brakes.

Has anybody got experience of either bike. The planet X also comes with SRAM Rival group set. I have always run Shimano on every bike I have ever owned will I regret the change to SRAM.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I could be wrong but when I was putting a potential road bike order together on the PX website this morning the 20% codes were no longer working… I’d be interested to see if anyone is having any joy with them… They were working last night.

ahwiles
    Free Member

if the ‘big’ part of your user-name refers to your height, you might struggle on the London road, it’s available in a full range of ‘medium’ sizes.

in whose deranged mind can a 57cm frame be described as ‘XL’…?

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I am 6’4″ I was prepared to wait until February for a XL in green. Are you suggesting ahwiles that all the London road bikes come up small.

ahwiles
    Free Member

6’4″…?

yes, i will confidently suggest that a 57cm frame will be a touch* too small.

(*did i say ‘touch’? – i meant ‘by a country mile’)

i’m a little annoyed by this, as it seems right up my alley – except i’m not a short-arse.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

IMO the biggest weakness with off-the-shelf bikes is the wheels, they are always around 2.2.kg.

So i’d get the cheaper one and stick some of those Kinesis wheels on it.

FWIW, i’ve got the London Road, and it seems fine to me. But I struggle to notice any substantial differences between all these very similar alu-framed disc braked CX style do-it-all bikes.

MrNice
    Free Member

search the site for people’s comments on the Suffolk, there are 2 or 3 of us who have one.

I’m very happy with it. Not much slower than my summer bike (Domane) though less comfortable. Plenty of clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards and everything works as it should.

One selling point for me was a review (can’t remember where) noting that the frame uses fancy profiled tubes so it should be at least a little bit more comfortable than the planet x. Web search for reviews should find it for you.

brant
    Free Member

The XL london road has a 57cm seat tube. It has a 59cm top tube.
    If a 59cm top tube (with a 73deg seat angle) isn’t right on that style of bike for someone who is 6’4″, then I need to go back to school I guess.

57cm is, lets not forget 22.5in. And as the most important thing the seat tube has to do is hold the seat post in place, the seatpost being more than long enough to reach to the right saddle height for someone who is 6’4″.

Of course, it’s not a classic italian road sized seat tube with horizontal top tube and all that, but that’s because it wasn’t designed as such. I’ve ridden one up Cragg Vale, then across the Pennine Way and down Stoodley Pike. It was fab.

I’m 6’2″. I rode a large (54cm).

ahwiles
    Free Member

i remain unconvinced, but i find myself once more trying to choose between horrid (awesome!) green, and sensible-silver.

Bigmantrials

I recently got a London road, really great bike, I am around 6ft4 and find the XL fine, I can’t comment on the Whyte though.I built mine using a drivetrain off my old road bike, the bike is being used mostly for CX currently and I have been surprised at what is is capable of! In the sprig the tyres will get changed with the aim of commuting on it (around 15miles each way).

brant
    Free Member

Flat pedals win medals.

Nice build.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

seems like bennyboy1 was correct the code has stopped working, so will probably revert back to the Whyte.

brant
    Free Member

Though you could now buy four London Roads and get one free.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2014/12/04/4-for-3-on-just-about-everything

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Planet X – London Road Vrs Whyte Suffolk’ is closed to new replies.