Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Plan my Lakes weekend.
  • mcnultycop

The missus is away, so rather than lying round in my underwear watching crap on TV I’m going to have a couple of days riding in the Lakes. I’m solo so don’t want anything too knarly, plus I don’t want anything too long. I’d prefer to do two 2 hour rides a day, rather than one long one. I’m happy to do an out and back, it doesn’t have to be a loop. I’m happy to drive between routes – I’d love to ride that single track in the country file credits. I’ll probably do something at grizedale or whinlatter one day, maybe the start and end of TNF with something else in-between. I’ve not really ridden much natural in the lakes, other than Claife Heights which was fairly easy going.

I’ll also need a B&B that is nice and let’s me keep my bike inside. I love Ambleside but my usual B&B has a bike shed there that is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, but the place is too small to let bikes inside.

lowey

A “please” would have been nice.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Too many specific needs in there, so I’m out. 😀

tomaso
    Free Member

Elterwater hostel has an OK bike shed and cheap accommodation. Cracking pub and the riding is great from there. Loads of quite legible routes that don’t require too much experience. There are lots of options for routes including Grizedale way, Conistion, Langdales or over towards Ambleside.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Ullswater and Lonscale Fell? Roughly two hour rides. Not too techy but a good amount of fun.

qwerty
    Free Member

Cat Bells camping barn brought us brekfast in bed when we stayed there (a long time ago). Pub a short walk away.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Borrowdale bash with extra ‘cheeky’ bits if you’re doing it on a quieter day, or if you’d prefer to shorten it slightly just do the best bits by parking in grange and cut out the ride in and out of keswick

whitestone
    Free Member

Unless you like being a traffic jam I’d try and stick to one side of the Lakes or the other, basically Keswick area or the Ambleside/Coniston area.

I’m from the South Lakes so might be biased 😆

The Elterwater/Iron Keld loop is decent and pretty much all-weather, doesn’t go high either plus you can shorten it or lengthen it according to time/whim.

There’s quite a bit in Grizedale Forest that isn’t trail centre stuff: from the centre do the TNF climb then head over to Parkamoor, don’t descend to Nibthwaite (though that’s a good descent) but cut back in to the forest and do the Grandfather, Father, son descent (I think it’s called that, check on Strava) o Satterthwaite then either cut back along the road or head up the other side and there’s a trail or two there but don’t know what they are called.

Staveley – Green Quarter – Selside – Kentmere – Three Rivers – Staveley would be another good loop. Also from Staveley you can head towards Troutbeck then back over Garburn Pass and back via Three Rivers.

jekkyl

2hrs really limits you.
    .walna scar loop from coniston missing out the seathwaite bit.
    .straight up the front of Skiddaw from Keswick and then back down again.

mcnultycop

Lowey – I’m usually all manners, not sure what happened there.

Thanks all for the ideas. I’ll have s look.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Plan my Lakes weekend.’ is closed to new replies.