Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Places to stay in Bath
  • 40mpg

Looking at a couple of days away with the missus to escape the kids. Any suggestions for somewhere half decent within walking distance of the centre?

Either hotel or flat (although probably only 1 night so unlikely to get a flat). Not worried about lots of facilities.

CountZero

Bath itself is pretty small, and I think there’s a number of hotels in the centre, the Francis Hotel on Queen’s Square is the first that comes to mind, as a friend of mine worked there for some years. It’s within a shortish walk of the Circus and Royal Crescent, and the main shopping streets.
    But then, most of Bath is… 😉
    I can’t vouch for quality, but there’s a bunch here:
    http://www.booking.com/city/gb/bath.html?aid=303948;label=bath-Mnvg99fIbZo4ir0fHtg13QS12581577861:pl:ta:p1125:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg;ws=&gclid=CO-3ituEvbwCFVDLtAodZwIAKw

lucien

Skyline walk in Bath (National Trust) is signposted, and gives great views of the city. Bath itself is expensive for food and accommodation and if you don’t need to be in the city centre, there are some great pubs, B&B’s, smaller hotels on the outskirts. Vobster Inn is good food and nice rooms, the Moody Goose is not bad, there is a best western out by the Uni which is good value.

CountZero

Out by the Uni isn’t a short walk into the centre, though; I know because I’ve walked from the Uni down to the centre, and it takes at least half an hour, probably longer, unless you catch a bus. Somewhere out on the edge of Victoria Park, Julian Road, or thereabouts is close enough to walk easily, and you get to see nice parts of Bath as well.
    Without knowing a budget, it’s a bit tricky to make suggestions, but this place is from £80/night: http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/hill-house.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=bath-Mnvg99fIbZo4ir0fHtg13QS12581577861%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1125%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=228298470aca35049edbe38ad0419f1c;dcid=1
    and seems to be well rated. I know it from when it was a bar/restaurant, and it’s an easy walk down Lansdown into the city.
    This place is a bit further up the hill, and starts at £70: http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/lansdown-grove.en-gb.html?aid=303948;label=bath-Mnvg99fIbZo4ir0fHtg13QS12581577861%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1125%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=228298470aca35049edbe38ad0419f1c;dcid=1

nuke

Last year we stayed at Ashley Villa guest house. Little further out but nice accommodation (as backed up by TripAdvisor reviews). We got the bus in or walked with our 2 kids. There’s a great kids play ground on the way in in Royal Victoria Park

towzer

alternate
    we stayed here and trained in to Bath http://www.railwaystudio.co.uk/
    (one night local – 1 night Bath, ps it is NEXT to the railway but we slept fine)

local pub vgood, Dundas Aqueduct v scenic, there was a brekkie place at canal centre

eskay

You have not mentioned budget.

If you want something special then take a look at the Bath Spa hotel.

Something a bit more run of the mill (but in the city centre) then look at something like the Hilton.

ART

You have not mentioned budget.

But seriously why go and stay in a big ‘chain’ faceless hotel when there are lots of lovely little places that you could treat the wife to Bath is small and very walkable so anywhere roughly central will have you in striking distance of shops/ places to eat/ cinema/ spa etc…

CountZero

But seriously why go and stay in a big ‘chain’ faceless hotel when there are lots of lovely little places that you could treat the wife to

Which is why I suggested Hill House and Lansdown Grove…

eskay

there are lots of lovely little places that you could treat the wife to

Make some suggestions then!

Bath is small and very walkable

I know, I grew up there and now live just outside.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bath Spa is pretty decent – not quite a perfect 5 star ‘5 star’ but the staff were great when we stayed there.

40mpg

Cheers all. Have gone for the Paradise House from Arts list which looks spot on – not far out, boutiquey look and above all fairly cheap.

Defender
    Free Member

I stayed at the Waterside Travelodge last September for two nights, 5 minutes from the Spa station and right on the canal basin, not the most glamorous place to stay granted, but very clean and comfortable with a restaurant has a good choice for breakfast and evening meals as well as a bar.
    I’ll be going back there this September for another weekend.

andrewh
    Free Member

Don’t stay too long or you will go all wrinkly and horrible

ART

Make some suggestions then!

I did

I know, I grew up there and now live just outside.

Me too

Which is why I suggested Hill House and Lansdown Grove…

Indeed … you didn’t suggest the Hilton 😉

Cheers all. Have gone for the Paradise House from Arts list which looks spot on – not far out, boutiquey look and above all fairly cheap.

Nice, enjoy 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

That’s a nice one in a nice bit of town. You’ll enjoy it.
    I moved away from from my house that’s about 300m away from there in December and I do miss it.

eskay

Apologies Art, missed the link!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Places to stay in Bath’ is closed to new replies.