Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three vs. Norco Threshold A1
  • alexdavidson007
    Free Member

Hello,

I’m weighing up which of the two bikes listed below to get on C2W. I know very little about modern bikes (read: nothing), so their very similar specs don’t give me much to separate them and I’m not even sure what to look out for when I’m test riding them this week.

I’m after a predominantly commuting bike, which the option for weekend rides, etc.

Anything that I should be watching out for? Has anyone had experience with either/both?

[list]
    [*]http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/arkose-three-2015-adventure-road-bike-ec071307[/*]
    [*]http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/threshold-a1-2015-cyclocross-bike-ec072587[/*][/list]

Thanks in advance,

Alex

mcnultycop

Got the Arkose 4 on cyclescheme because I waned hydraulic brakes. It’s superb. Not sure if this helps. There us a mega-arkose thread on this very forum.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m fully sold on using a cyclocross bike as a commuter – I love mine. So either bike will be great. I’d go for the pinnacle though. Better spec, looks nicer, better color.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The geometry is a bit different between the two, without going to deep into comparing them, the Pinnacle looks more relaxed, slightly higher front end. And the Norco is a bit racier. Which kinda follows the brief with the Norco being a CX bike (race for an hour) and the Arkrose being a Adventure road (comfier for long distances). I’d consider what you’d maybe like the bike to do apart from commuting.

kilo

I have one of the previous iterations of the Norco Threshold, the geometry is not noticably different from my road bikes, it’s fine to ride on long cx rides (and I am old and inflexible). I find Arkos bikes a bit fugly but I suspect both will be fine for what you want, with not much difference between the two so test ride an decide

alexdavidson007
    Free Member

@Superficial – what about the Pinnacle spec is better?

A guy in Evans this morning reckon the Norco frames are better quality (although he didn’t really say why).

Trying them both out this week so will see if they “feel” any different.

jameso

the Arkrose being a Adventure road (comfier for long distances)

Actually the Arkose was a cx-ish bike before anyone tagged them ‘adventure road’ and wasn’t really intended for very long rides, the seat angle’s a tad steeper than is ideal for multi-day stuff and the back end is short, makes it a bit snappier than something longer and more touring-like. It’s just a CX based bike that (imo) handles natural trails better than a CX race geo and also makes a really nice road bike for non-race stuff.

A guy in Evans this morning reckon the Norco frames are better quality (although he didn’t really say why

Hmm. I couldn’t say why either. Nice bikes though, no doubt about that. I do like Norcos.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have a Threshold A1 Forma but have never tried the Arkose to compare. I wanted something I could race as well as occasionally commuting on it and like it so far (although I haven’t had it long). I did get a top 10 Strava placing on a fairly well ridden road route on it when I decided to get into a bit of a race with another cyclist so it can certainly cope with a bit of road as well as the off road stuff.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Not a lot of difference spec wise. The biggest difference (on paper) for me would be the chainring sizes. 36/46 (norco) gives a closer spread than a compact (arkose).

I prefer the closer ratios: most people think i’m mental when i wang on about chainring sizes though.

If you can’t tell the difference between them when you ride them get the one you like the look of.

MoreCashThanDash

I know specs have changed, but my Arkrose 3 is two and a half years old now, done 5-6000 miles, and hasn’t missed a beat.

Been used for the 24 mile a day commute, some gentle off roading, long 70 mile “gravel” rides before they existed, and 100 mile road rides with slicks on. All with full mudguards and a rack.

I’d happily buy another, but I guess other brands have jumped on the band wagon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Arkose Three vs. Norco Threshold A1’ is closed to new replies.