• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • jameso

Is the 2015 model worth the extra £100 (assuming that is the RRP)

I can’t really answer that for you – it’s £100 for 11s Shimano 105 vs 10s and a (subtly, some would say) revised frame and fork, flare drop bars and TLR rims. Minor or major stuff depending on your perspective. But you could ride the 2014 bike tomorrow rather than wait some weeks.

gredawarha
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso

RustySpanner

James, couple more questions if I may?

1. If you had the choice between a grey washing up bowl or a beige washing up bowl, which one would you go for?

2. Don’tcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?

4. If swimming is so good for you, why are whales so fat?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll take this one.

1. Gray

2. No….and stop sending me those pics.

3. They don’t swim, they float.

jameso

^ ta. 7/10.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it might have already been answered somewhere but i couldn’t see it- mudguard mounts on the 2015 bikes?

jet26
    Free Member

Not jameso but I am called james! Has them – not sure if front mudguard needs bastardising as mount is halfway up fork

RustySpanner

Think this has full, separate bosses for rack and guards on the back and guards on the front?

Amazed how many frames lack this.
    This years and next years Kona Sutra is let down by this and that’s supposed to be a tourer!

One boss for both is a right pita ime.

jameso

Think this has full, separate bosses for rack and guards on the back and guards on the front?

Yup. 2 eyelets on the rear. Front guard fitting may make up for any lack of faff at the rear .. has to mount radially under the crown, ie you need to remove the upright of an SKS P-45s L-bracket and drill it 5mm or fit a Bontrager guard that has a more direct mount – I saw one but can’t remember the name now. It’s because the fork spec I wanted (exact geo and from a very well reputed supplier) was only available if guards fitted this way, due to the crown shape. A minor faff but has worked well for steel/other forks for years and looks really neat when fitted.

Front stay mounts up the fork have an advantage – less need for seccu-clips as the stay mount position means the guard can move away from the tyre should anything jam in the wheel or lower guard. Lack of seccu-clips for safe mounting means more choice. You’ll need to add a bend in the stays of many guards but that’s normal with a disc equipped bike ime.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Sorry James, approxmate release date for the arkose 3/4?

Jamie
    Free Member

Sorry James, approxmate release date for the arkose 3/4?

Not jameso, but am a Jamie*.

6-8 weeks.

*Passport says James, tho.

cgreggers
    Free Member

Thanks Jam(ie) 😉

Can I wait that long?! Cycle to work scheme is ready and waiting…

Jamie
    Free Member

You never know, jameso may have some good news, and they are here sooner.

jameso

Checking and will update asap.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

tbh, i don’t bother with guards at all on my roadrat currently (which this will be replacing) so could probably live with a lack of front one if i couldn’t be bothered faffing, and i won’t be needing front panniers ever pretty much as it’ll be commuting/playing/sort of road riding i’ll be doing, with perhaps some cx events (i won’t say racing as that wouldn’t accurately describe what i’m capable of) thrown in. no touring.

yup, reckon it’s arkose 4 vs crosslight pro6 now, as far as I’m concerned…

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’m also interested in the Arkose 4 – I especially like the sound of matt cyan. Unfortunately my cyclescheme voucher has to be issue before end of September, otherwise it is 6 months before I can get another so it sounds like a no go for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe you can pre-order?

I’d advise ringing them, or popping into local branch, as email seems an alien concept.

Jamie
    Free Member

….and all the others: Clicky

I had discounted the CX1, but….it’s…. {it’s gone now. That colour isn’t available after all, sorry. Mod}

Arkose 4:

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The Arkose 4 looks awesome. Loads of good drop bar stuff around at the moment, almost a shame my current ride has years left in it yet!

cgreggers
    Free Member

Yaaaay.

Must say good work James O on the development on the range.

Now to prepare cycle scheme for the 5/10!

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit odd Evans having the splatter grey Arkose 5 as the main pic, but the red version is the one you can buy/pre-order.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of the 4 a lot, and a great, sensible spec for an all rounder too. It would be tough to choose between that on looks or a lower spec but potentially better frame (and through axles) with the Giant TCX 2 or Focus AX 2.0

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Has anyone got 1st hand experience of through axles on road CX or commmuter bikes? My rigid mtb forks are stiff enough for off road so I can’t see much advantage on road or CX where the loads will be so much less and the wheels much flexier?

I’m liking the look of the 4 a lot,

Im just miffed at the numbers of bikes not fitting the new 105 cranks! Ok theyre probably functionaly no better than FSA but they look good for once!

Jamie
    Free Member

Im just miffed at the numbers of bikes not fitting the new 105 cranks! Ok theyre probably functionaly no better than FSA but they look good for once!

Also, FSA cranks are painted with a gnat’s micron of paint, and usually rub through if you look at them funny. Shame there’s no 105 cranks.

jameso

Bit odd Evans having the splatter grey Arkose 5 as the main pic, but the red version is the one you can buy/pre-order.

Glitch spotted earlier, hopefully sorted now. Grey splatter is the only colour.

105 cranks – they’re really expensive .. and very good, but won’t fit into £1000 or so bike budgets easily.
    Thru-axles – imo not ‘needed’ on rigid frames and forks but will become a std sooner or later. 15mm used now but planning on 12mm being more likely for road/cx in future. Jumping early on these things isn’t always a benefit.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh….now that’s annoying.

Was going to pre-order the 4 last night, but figured I would wait on some info from jameso, and the bastard thing has gone up £50 overnight.

*shakes fist*

jameso

We’ve had a few issues with the upload. Sorry. £1250 was always the right / planned price. But we have dropped the 1 and 2 by £50, to be in line with deliberately more competitive pricing on the road bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

But we have dropped the 1 and 2 by £50, to be in line with deliberately more competitive pricing on the road bikes.

I am very happy for potential 1 & 2 owners….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

105 cranks – they’re really expensive .. and very good, but won’t fit into £1000 or so bike budgets easily.

Fair enough, on the upside there isn’t that I’m aware a CX (36-46)geared 4-arm 5800 chainset, and a 46t ultegra chainring is £89.99! So untill someone comes out with an aftermarket set it’d not be seeing any mud anyway! At least the FSA will be cheap to addapt with aftermarket rings.

Thru-axles – imo not ‘needed’ on rigid frames and forks but will become a std sooner or later. 15mm used now but planning on 12mm being more likely for road/cx in future. Jumping early on these things isn’t always a benefit.

Agreed, it’s not something I’ll miss and I’d be more annoyed if they were a superceeded standard later on given my road bike buying timescales are 10+ year intervals!

acjim
    Free Member

Could someone nice please let me know what headset to get for the 2013 version of this bike please?

I believe it’s an internal version 1 1/8 and 1 1/2?

Thanks!

jameso

^ It is. FSA Orbit C40 as std spec – 45 degree seat ACB bearings, 41.8mm OD upper / 51.8mm OD lower.

Jamie
    Free Member

Glitch spotted earlier, hopefully sorted now. Grey splatter is the only colour.

Nope.

…price correction has been applied, tho.

😛

acjim
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso!

jameso

Eat your breakfast aggressively in the direction of the web upload types
    : )
    The other colour is not available. It’s a gaff. If you edit that post it may save me answering qs etc about it (ie, please)

Jamie
    Free Member

I will have to get the mods to do it, I can’t edit after 15 mins.

Which posts? All the ones with the red one in it?

If I do so, can I get a £50 off voucher? 😀

Edit: Ah, I see you already got the mods to prune the first post. Also, I cannot report my own post, so you’ll have to get them to do the one above as well.

firestarter
    Free Member

Damn that red was temping but not the ropey 80s kona copy 🙁

jameso

Ah well, no bother. See this is why we don’t offer colour choices 😀

(copy / homage / all good things come around .. )

firestarter
    Free Member

😉

alangrozier
    Free Member

was out on the 2 today for a spin, loving the feel of this
    grab yourself a bargain 2 if you can you won’t be disappointed 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.