Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pinhole cameras
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I saw some yanks flogging a pinhole lens on ebay for 4/3 cameras (11m)…$40…predictably, I reckon it’s do-able for a lot less!

Anyone tried one? I wondered if a 50mm equivalent could take the place of a lens for snapshots? Would be bloody compact…

defydude
    Free Member

I ran some yanks flogging a pinhole lens for 4/3 cameras (11m)…$40…predictably, I reckon it’s do-able for a lot less!

Come again?

Shackleton

If you mean the wanderlust pinwide one then I’ve had one for about 6 weeks. Worked out at about £27 delivered from the states and took 4 days from ordering. Very fun to use. I had considered making one but for £25 I couldn’t be bothered with the hastle, and having seen one in the flesh I’m glad I didn’t. The pinhole is actually recessed inside the camera body and would be a sod to make. It a very wide angle, probably about the same as a 20mm (35mm equiv) lens and I was amazed how sharp it was compared to the pinhole cameras I played with when I was younger.

I’d be interested to see how you get on making one (spoons, carbon fibre, etc) 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers – I won’t tell you how much they are on ebay.co.uk 😉

22mm is what they say. Like I say I’ll try something longer I think. £2.49 on a cap, an old razor, 30 minutes and a pin seems worth a go to me.

Could I bother you to estimate/measure the distance from the plane of the mount to the plane of the pinhole?

epicyclo

cynic-al – Member
    …I’ll try something longer I think. £2.49 on a cap, an old razor, 30 minutes and a pin seems worth a go to me.

Could I bother you to estimate/measure the distance from the plane of the mount to the plane of the pinhole?

Try to bevel both sides of the hole so there’s no furry bits.

I don’t think you have to be too particular about the focal length – you could make a zoom 🙂

hoodie
    Free Member

Yes – Try the DIY route…use your body cap (or a spare if you dont want a hole in it)…personally I always have a lens on the body so isnt a problem for me.

Drill a hole in the centre of the lens cap about half a centimetre diameter.

Then select some thin metal, I used the outer casing from a tea light candle. Using a fine pin, push through the smallest possible hole. You will want to practice this as you can always do better than your first attempt. you shouldnt be able to tell the hole goes all the way through unless you hold it up to the light. File both sides of the metal down with wet and dry to further thin the metal. The thinner the better.

When your happy with it, secure the metal on the inside of the cap, with the pinhole in the middle of your body cap hole. Use electrical tape to secure it, ideally black tape.

Whack it on your DSLR, set manual mode, and play with long exposures !

Great fun…

miketually
    Free Member

Let’s see some pics then?

hoodie
    Free Member

[/url]
    Pinhole by matzophotographic, on Flickr[/img]

A test shot outside the house, converted to sepia in PS.

cynic-al
    Free Member

how long are we talking about exposure-wise?

grantway
    Free Member

Good god make them don’t buy one made plenty through the years
    I now make them out of the smaller of Pringle tubes cost
    peanuts to make and you eat the contents.

grantway
    Free Member

Good god make them don’t buy one made plenty through the years
    I now make them out of the smaller of Pringle tubes cost
    peanuts to make and you eat the contents.

hoodie
    Free Member

Bright day could be 2 secs…indoors could be more like 20..as a v rough guide. Always set ISO to lowest setting.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Grantway you missed a pun there!

Hoodie…lowest ISO…why? Cos exposure is so long it requires I tripod anyway?

hoodie
    Free Member

The image quality is going to be compromised using pinhole…so why add in noise from higher ISO….unless that’s the effect u want then go ahead…no rules really, just something u have to experiment with.

shaxi
    Free Member

unless that’s the effect u want then go ahead…no rules really, just something u have to experiment with.

sounds reasonable ! hope that help !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pinhole cameras’ is closed to new replies.