• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by joat.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Pindale or Cave Dale as a descent?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

Going to the Peaks for a ride this weekend with some guys from ‘darn sarf’ (Essex/Cambs area) and so ther’re not used to riding rocky stuff all that much. It’s also been a few years since I’ve ridden either of the above trails. We need a route from the top of Dirtlow Rake down to Castleton/Hope and wondered what the general consensus was for which to take whilst still being ridable for the southern guys?

dazh

Cavedale definitely, although it’s much more technical. It’s a challenge for the seasoned locals let alone anyone who isn’t used to riding that stuff so you might end up walking it. Dirtlow is just a road these days since it was resurfaced, and Pindale is very short and a bit grotty. Not worth bothering with IMO.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cavedale is a great descent, however it is not only extremely rocky but it is also very slippery.

I would suggest giving it a miss if they don’t like rocky, purely because of the lack of traction.

Or, just send them down first and enjoy the view 😀

hora
    Free Member

Pindale is hateful, sorry. I was dragged down there on a peaks pootle once! 😆

Pindale is what I’d call ‘old fashion XC Descending’

jambalaya
    Free Member

I love Cavedale, always try and do that when I am in the Peaks. I am a Surrey Hills rider used to loamy trails so adore the chance to ride something a bit rocky. Take them down it slowly and if they don’t like it they can walk the middle bit. The top part with “soil” singletrack is fun and fast too. You can also ride up the landslipped road to Mam Tor, that’s great too and a bit unusual (will double check map to see if that’s a convenient route)

EDIT I see of course Castelton/Hope is a simple road link so whilst Mam Tor climb is interesting and view is great its not so convenient

scaled
    Free Member

Definitely Cavedale – It’s probably not as bad as you remember 😉

mt
    Free Member

Do em both, Down Cavedale, if you live or are not on your way to the Hallamshire. Ride up the road and down Pindale (remember to keep left unless you are really good at drop offs.

Have fun.

hora
    Free Member

I still remember a ride we did in the middle of winter and everyone was stood crowded around the gate to get warm waiting for the main group to catch up- I thought sod this and blasted through the gate into that wet/icy/rocky bit and 😯 but kept going. Its probably the only time that I had no dabs as well as I was going so quick I couldn’t think/slow down quick enough 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Definitely Cavedale – It’s probably not as bad as[b]worse than[/b] you remember

I always poo myself at least once when it becomes steeper/narrower/rockeier than I remember. It’s not difficult, but speed (and some rear suspension) is definitely your friend on the rocky bits, the last thing you want to do it get bogged down and come to a stop.

Pindale is a farm track surfaced with small rocks, not really a challenge.

If you’re in that area make sure you do Bradwell clough on the other side of the cement works as well.

remember to keep left unless you are really good at drop offs.

You must be thinking of another track surely? You could drive a car up pindale.

D0NK

as MT do both. Cavedale is more ahem exhilerating but would be rude not to head up and do pindale too. Dirtlowe rake, the feeder to pindale <edit>which I think tinas may be talking about, is fast fun but a bit mleh, cave->pin is the best of both.

<edit2> and yeah bradwell clough edge is fun in the dry, pretty sure it’s weather dependant tho, done it twice, 1st time after a dry spell was great, 2nd time after a usual english mixed weather it was muddy with boggy bits

swoosh
    Free Member

which is Bradwell Clough? Is it this one: Bradwell Clough??

D0NK

yep, pindale through cement works, along b6029 then up brough lane, bit tricky to find the start of the BW iirc

MrNice
    Free Member

ignore me – thinking of the wrong place 😳

swoosh
    Free Member

Thanks Donk. We’re actually staying in Hayfield so probably doing more of a circular route than a round-and-about route if that makes sense. But good to know I know which route you were talking about. I’ve done it several time and really enjoy it too.

mildbore

Definitely Cavedale,esp if your southern softies hate rocks, they will never forgive you. Just don’t get stuck behind a Hora as momentum is key, and you’ll be lucky not to encounter bipedal trail obstacles puffing up from Castleton especially at weekends. It’s a cracking descent, one of the best in the Peaks

mt
    Free Member

Spoon

“You must be thinking of another track surely? You could drive a car up pindale.”

I was thinking about the old quarry were the track is wide and you can choose wherever you want to go. Also I should added this :-

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bradwell clough/edge is accessed from Brough Lane (edits that one, streetmap wasn’t working for me).

Hang on, is there some other exiting track called Pindale I’ve never ridden? Climbing up the road from the War memorial at the bottom of cavedale in Castleton you climb up the hill and at the top (within 100m of each other) you have the decent down pindale on the left which is a single track road covered in potato to turnip sized bits of limestone. And Dirtlow Rake is a much wider track that goes off on the right and climbs to the top of cavedale past the old quarry on the right.

Pindale (copy and paste the whole link or it won’t show the streetview):
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.334328,-1.767594,3a,72y,8.62h,64.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ssMuRguxSLKx0b2kem-b4Bw!2e0!6m1!1e1

swoosh
    Free Member

Spoon – That’s the Pindale I know. Not sure if there is another.

SimonR

Both good value – in different ways. Another vote for doing them both.

You’ve got a lot better chance of cleaning Cavedale if it’s quiet – once you stop its hard to get started again.

Pindale takes you conveniently down to a stop at the Courtyard Cafe in Hope 😀

jekkyl

Going down cavedale watch out for the hole leading to hell on the left as you go down. It’s where dragons live I told my 4 yr old, in reality I reckon it’s an airhole to the speedwell carven which is directly underneath.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

cavedale every time. if the weathers good and at the weekend you may end up walking part of it anyhow due to the volume of sunday ramblers

sprocker
    Free Member

I go up pin dale and down Cavedale, would never consider the other way around

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Cavedale – best done at the end of the day when all your southerners will have got used to the idea that Peaks rock is grippy, and when the walkers have had chance to smear slimy mud all over the wet limestone. 😈 😈

Not a great fan of Pindale as a descent – just smashing through rocks. Makes an OK climb though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

swoosh – Member

which is Bradwell Clough? Is it this one: Bradwell Clough??

yup, all 600m of it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Cavedale is great, if it is busy you will need to do a lot of calling out to the walkers so they look up and not at their feet.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Looks epic
    Watch “GoPro HD MTB Hope Valley,Peak District,Cave Dale Cross Country Downhill 06.05.2012” on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/YnN2ASlkP3A

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just show them the first minute and tell them it carries on like that through the gate 😈

joat

@JonEdwards, you’re a very naughty boy (I’m assuming you’re a boy). It does see plenty of water though which seems to keep them clean and grippyish. It’s the last place you want a fist full of brake though, controlled rolling is the key!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Pindale or Cave Dale as a descent?’ is closed to new replies.