Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • pinch proof fast rolling 29er tyre?
  • sideshow
    Free Member

So my racing ralph sidewalls look knackered and have bristly bits sticking out – time for a change!

I loved the ralphs far more than I thought I would (they came with a bike) only complaint is I pinch flat them all. the. time. and they were the supposedly burly snakeskin version too.

Any suggestions for something burlier? Fast rolling is good (it’s a rear tyre), 1 or 1.5 ply.

Please don’t say tubeless, tried that, lasted half a ride until I ripped a hole in the minion that it couldn’t seal! And don’t say pump them up harder either – riding rigid so I need all the cushioning I can get 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Fat ones with thicker sidewalls. Go on Nextdaytyres and do some looking, they show you all the tyre specs.

But whatever you get will be a compromise somewhere.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

tubeless, a sidewall tear will happen sometimes, no reason to bin the whole system

Candodavid
    Free Member

Try a Geax Saguaro TNT, bit tight getting on, fast rolling, and robust sidewalls

sideshow
    Free Member

Oh joy, I just realised I was wrong and my ralphs weren’t snakeskin after all. So lots of potential for thicker sidewalls then 🙂 Might get a maxxis beaver for the winter supposed to be good both in mud and out of it.

sideshow
    Free Member

…or not. bum. supposedly hige rolling resistance the beaver 🙁

sideshow
    Free Member

Check out the magazine test results halfway down this thread
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/tire-test-results-german-bike-magazine-419392-12.html

Gotta love some proper German test data.

Just picked up a pair of nobbly nic pacestar snakeskin on the basis of this. Not quite what I meant in this thread title but should be a good choice.

sideshow
    Free Member

…and several rides in I’m loving the nobby nic, perhaps the ideal rear tyre under the circumstances. Could possibly do with something grippier on the front but that would come at the cost of worse rolling resistance on the road to the trails so very happy with the compromise. Have only pinched it once so far which is acceptable (and I think I’ve hit the rim on average once per ride).

According to the linked article they do wear fast though. It’s a shame that mag didn’t test conti MKII in 29er size – I do wonder whether it would score as well as the nic and be harder wearing.

njee20
    Free Member

I think I’ve hit the rim on average once per ride

**note to self – never buy wheels from sideshow** 😯

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘pinch proof fast rolling 29er tyre?’ is closed to new replies.