Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • pick me a job, any job….
  • niallmb
    Free Member

Ok so maybe not any job. I’ve finally made the decision that its time to get a proper job. Bored and fed up of the live events industry and fancy a steady and reliable (or as reliable as possible) income. I want a boss I can hate other than myself and I want some form of routine to this thing I call a life.

But where to start…. I haven’t a clue what I’d be good at. I’m not really in a position to do vast quantities of costly training but don’t mind starting at the bottom of a ladder. I figured someone on here must have an idea I haven’t thought of. If it helps, I’ve been a Lighting designer and Production/tour manager for the last 7 years and furthest my education went was A level.

So here goes, from the sublime to the ridiculous (I’ve been around here long enough now to realise that the ridiculous is more likely!!!) what have you got????? any suggestions?????

rob2
    Free Member

Work as a sewer cleaner/flusher

Sounds rubbish but they are the nicest people you will ever meet and have a really great outlook on life.

(I work for a water and sewerage company)

You get paid ok too!

Bing
    Free Member

Fry cook on Venus,

SAVE FERRIS!

In all seriousness, anything you want, what you interested in – usually makes for the best jobs!

loddrik
    Free Member

There are none out there, nothing for me anyhow… 🙁

niallmb
    Free Member

problem is, I used to be interested in live events, Mainly of the gig nature but then my hobby became my job and that kind of ruined it. Kind of fancy the IT route but struggling to see how to get into it without spending years getting qualifications first.

Maybe I just need to get something a bit rubbish and mundane whilst I train for something else but Im kind of a 100% or 0% person and if I know theres not a future in it for me, I’ll struggle to get motivated.

Maybe I just need to MTFU and stop looking for the perfect thing to fall in my lap.

rob2, its now on my list of things to look into. Initial reaction is no but I’m refusing to rule anything reasonable out without some research.

Bing
    Free Member

If you’ve already done the job that you wanted to do, then you gotta chase the money now!

niallmb
    Free Member

Thats the plan Bing but I’m not quite sure anyone knows where the money is right now!!

Also, I hadn’t realised how narrow my skills had become. It would appear that I’m perfectly qualified to do what I do at the moment and nothing else.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Blow?

niallmb
    Free Member

Its a kind offer Charliemungus but I think my wife would have something to say about it

loddrik
    Free Member

Don’t do what I did, give up your job without first lining something else. Esp as the economy was nosediving..

Garry_Lager

Freight train driver sounds like a good job – there was an interesting thread on here recently about it. Bloke said the freight industry was suffering though so I don’t know how easy it is to get in.

Mate of mine started out lighting design in small theatres and moved through stage electrician and into carpentry for the sets in the big venues. Think he basically runs the shop now – obviously you’d need to be keen on the hands-on work to go down this route.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Prison Officer!!

On second thoughts, forget it, It’s crap.

s4rpf
    Free Member

fancy the IT route but struggling to see how to get into it without spending years getting qualifications first.

If you want to do IT get a first line job (pay wont be great), and while your doing that study for a MCSE. You can find loads of material online and then have to just pay for the exam which is about 80 quid a pop. Then a year down the line you can look at getting a second line support job.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Where are you based?

Sandwich

Planet Express delivery boy?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t be put off taking years to get qualified, if you plan on being in a job for a while it does not matter. Anything worth doing will require training, it may be night school or part time at uni or occasional day and week course. The thing is that you enjoy your job while you are qualifying or if you have to take a year or two out and be solely academic you enjoy that course while you do it.

Well paid jobs, that don’t require training and experience don’t exist. Supply and demand.

TheBrick
    Free Member

P.S. “I.T.” is a huge industry, if you fancy it you will have to decide what area to go in to.

chojin
    Free Member

How about applying to become a floor mopper in one of those Amsterdam “booths”. 😛

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

This is a great opportunity for whoever gets it – It’s prompted me to learn to drive, just so’s i qualify next time one of these turns up. The chance to get multi-disciplined in these should set you up for life (nearly 5 years in and i’m only single-disiplined; hence why this looks so good) – all those ticky boxes: travel, (potentially in the future) enormous wages, and a selection of certifiable skills.

niallmb
    Free Member

thanks for all the answers folks, thought I’d do one post and answer some questions

I’m based just outside Leeds

When I say IT, I’m probably thinking networking side of things. currently looking into Microsoft cert or CCNA or similar.

I’m quite happy to do the studying and the qualifications for whatever I decide to aim for but I’m still going to need a job in the mean time. Ideally, I’d like to get a job in whatever field I’m aiming for, regardless of how far down the ladder that start is.

I think having written this down and thought about it, networking etc is where I want to be, I just aint got a clue how to get a foot in the door. Most first line jobs seem to need good knowledge of microsoft server which I don’t have, any suggesstions where to aquire such knowledge and how much knowledge I need?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fluffer

s4rpf
    Free Member

I think having written this down and thought about it, networking etc is where I want to be, I just aint got a clue how to get a foot in the door. Most first line jobs seem to need good knowledge of microsoft server which I don’t have, any suggesstions where to aquire such knowledge and how much knowledge I need?

I would just go for them anyway. To be honest most job specs say that but what you will actually do on the server as a first line person is so limited. You will normally just deal with normal office and xp problems to simple AD things like setting a password and adding a new group for permissions nothing more as a first line. Most will look for a understanding of computing not in depth and good customer service and the fact that you will be study a MCSE will know your looking to further your knowledge and alot of employers will have the training material for it anyway.

carbon337
    Free Member

If you go into IT and aren’t really into it you will hate it. I’m quite into it and still hate it. The day job is fine it’s the associated paperwork to do with change management and security which is found in larger orginisations. I constantly dream of leaving it all begind and becoming a country park ranger.

Ps I do loads of out of hour changes, tonight is working on testing a change to some routing and firewalls from 9-02:00. This is after being at work from 8-5. Only toil no overtime paid.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘pick me a job, any job….’ is closed to new replies.