Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Phone upgrade help – which of these is best and why?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Blackberry Curve 8532
    LG Optimus GT540
    samsung galaxy apollo
    Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
    Samsung Monte S5620
    Motorola DEXT

GPS, email, internet and Wifi are a must

Pieface

IMO avoid the Blackberry unless you do alot of email on the move. I have one for work and think its great for typing emails and texts, but for personal use I'd prefer something with a bigger screen.

I don't like the look of the X10 Mini, its quite chubby.

No HTC?

HTH

Cougar

That ^^

X10 has got the brown end of the stick as far as Android upgrades are concerned, I'd avoid it.

What's the Galaxy "Apollo" when it's at home?

HTC is the way to go, or so I've been led to believe.

Wish I'd got one instead of my POS Nokia N97 Mini

Frankenstein
    Free Member

From your list?

The Sony

MrNutt
    Free Member

the obvious choice thats not on the list, sorry but its true.

clareymorris

What MrNutt said.

clareymorris

Not that I know ANYTHING about the others!

CountZero

+1 MrNutt.

RS4KEV

+1 for the missing one, tried many others but you just can't beat it

Onzadog
    Free Member

wow, that's a lot of love for the HTC.

midlifecrashes

X10 mini pro. Phone that can do all that stuff and still fit in pocket without those "is that an iPad in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me" looks. Screen not big enough for watching films on, but I have a telly and a a laptop.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Why no HTC?

The HTC Desire is a good phone but if the phone company aren't offering it at least try for the Wildfire. Very nice little phone.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

not in stock at orange thats why

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think the X10 (not mini or mini pro) is a great phone, had mine for 4 months now and its not put a foot wrong, which is more than i can say for my old C905.
    The only downside for some is that its only running android 1.6 (upgrade to 2.1 in sept apparently), but its got a fast processor, lovely 4" screen, 8Mp camera, stereo sounds good, lots of apps from Android market and is generally rather nice indeed.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Ah, can't get what they've not got I suppose.

I'd say the Desire is worth waiting for til they've got stock. Now running android 2.2.

There's some good free gps tracking apps available.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bigyonn – its the mini – not good?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I'm ditching my iphone and going to HTC. They've got a UK launch day in september for the new phone which is supposed to be nearer to the 4G evo that's been launched to mass aclaim in the States.

I'm waiting for that, as Apple have really shitted over 3G owners with the crappy OS4 "upgrade".

racing_ralph
    Free Member

and that answers my question how?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

are we talking Indian now? How to you too.

It answers your question in the "your list isn't complete" kind of way.

br
    Free Member

Nokia, and whatever model suits you.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

X10 is bobbins. Tried one, got rid. Rubbish battery life, clunky android 1.6, touch screen is not anywhere near as sensitive as the desire or iphone.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pk but thats all that on offer!! Its like saying i can afford a mondeo but i fancy a merc, never happening dude!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

ok, then get the LG. Because it's named after one of the transformers.

TheFlyingOx

X10 is pure gash: the touchscreen keyboard is an unmitigated disaster, in-call volume is inaudible at best, Android 1.6, the SE Mediascape application plays all your music in alphabetical order rather than actual album order but won't let you create a playlist on the phone to sort it out, Moxier bloatware is an utter wankfest and it can't be removed. I could go on. It would be worth getting one just for the satisfaction you'd get from standing on top of the nearest tall building and hurling it to the ground so many, many hundreds of feet below.

If I had my time again, I'd go with the Galaxy.

CountZero

I'm waiting for that, as Apple have really shitted over 3G owners with the crappy OS4 "upgrade".

So what's that got to do with the subject at hand? We're talking about a current phone upgrade, not a phone that's two years and two generations old. FYI, the iOS4 upgrade works fine on my old 3G. How many other phone manufacturers would give a toss about any phone that's more than a year old?

druidh
    Free Member

Rob

I got my daughter a Monte just last week. Looks like a nice wee phone and has all the features you want. However, you really need to look to see if there are any specific applications you also want on it. Other than Nokia/Symbian, Android (and of course the iPhone) there are no large application bases available. This is gonna limit what you can do with it in future.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Nokia, just NO.

bigyinn
    Free Member

RR The X10 mini just won european phone of the year award.

The flying ox, so what is wrong with 1.6 REALLY? Nothing, it just goes about its business.
    Agree about the keyboard, but you can install the HTC one which is better, the incall volume is a tad quiet. Moxier will be gone when 2.1 (finally) hits.
    I do think SE missed the boat by releasing a phone on 1.6 when 2.1 was already out, but its not suffered from the reliability that have plagued their other top end handsets (C905 or Satio anyone?)

tron
    Free Member

In all honesty, just get one with buttons. Anything which relies on touch screen for the majority of it's input is an absolute pain in the arse.

Clong
    Free Member

Id say X10 too, battery life is not an issue unless charging every 3 days is considered poor. Not sure what teh issue with Mediascape, mine plays albums just fine and creates playlist too. If it realy is an issue, just download another media player via teh market.

My in call volume is just fine.

Whats the difference between andriod 1.6 and 2.1? I bet most users wouldn't notice or even care except for bragging rights.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

If you're charging every 3 days, you're not using it. Mine was flat every day by 5. Using internet, wifi and gps kills the battery big time. 2.1 and 2.2 improves battery life

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Wife has just got the X10 Experia Mini Pro – doesn't do as much as my HTC Desire but it's a tidy little phone and battery life appears to be way better than mine.

higgo
    Free Member

Nokia, just NO.

I'm a Nokia fan, always have been and recently stepped into the 'smart-phone' market with a 5800. It's OK I suppose and getting on a bit now but having lived with it and seen/messed with other phones I couldn't recommend it.

On the other hand, although I'm an Apple fan (Macs and Ipods) I've never like the Iphone. Until that is, I saw the new one. Now everytime I see someone pull one out of their pocket I want to punch them in the face and run off with their phone. I really, really want one. In a way that I've never wanted a 'gadget' before.

I so want the new Nokia N8 to be a good phone.

and, yes, I know I've not really answered to OQ.

Clong
    Free Member

The battery life on the X10 was poor, but a firmware update changed that. On release, i'd struggle to get more than 15 hours out of it. Since the update, i get 60 odd hours use out of it, with browisng over wifi and 3g, bluetooth music to headphones for a couple of hours, a few phone calls and texts, GPS left on. Not sure if that counts as "not using it" but hey ho.

Since the update, i'd say it was great phone.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I got mine almost as soon as it was released, went a week later. Made 20 quid profit on it though, so not all bad

beamers

not in stock at orange thats why

I'm about to jump ship to vodafone for that very reason, and the fact that I have no Orange reception in my house which is a bit of a pain.

Been borrowing an HTC Hero whilst I wait for my Ornage contract to come to an end. Great phone, I've got my eye on the Legend though.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have the blackberry curve for work.

For emails it's really really raelly really really really brilliant!

As a phone it's not that great.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

oh! and I think it's rubbish for internet too…

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Phone upgrade help – which of these is best and why?’ is closed to new replies.