Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pertex shield jacket wet on the inside?
  • hora
    Free Member

Sub zero this morning and to help give me abit more warmth (and as rain was expected later in the morning) I wore my waterproof over my skin200 merino top. It was very wet on the inside of the jacket post ride- the same on a previous ride when it did rain.

I’m not a epic sweater either

Ideas?!

BadlyWiredDog

It’s called condensation.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Nowhere to wick the moisture too, simples, better off with another base layer or similar if its cold rather than a waterproof

hora
    Free Member

My Army DPM never got this 🙁

fasthaggis

I’m not a epic sweater either

They, never think they are.

Well done for making an effort on your new frame .

BadlyWiredDog

Pertex Shield’s not very breathable.

tomd
    Free Member

Pertex Shield claims a breathability (MVTR) of 7000. That’s pretty low in the scheme of things, eVent for example claims 15000+. It’s measured in units of g of water vapour transferred per m^2 per 24hours (under test conditions). So your starting with a less than brilliant fabric*, from a breathability point of view, and under adverse atmospheric conditions with some dirt ground in the breath-ability could be into bin bag territory.

The relative humidity and other factors will impact the mount of water transferred also.

*I have pertex shield jacket, it’s been great – very light and durable but breathability isn’t the best.

tomd
    Free Member

Also Pertex Shield has quite a low waterproof rating so in heavy rain on the bike you might be actually forcing some water through.

ElShalimo

Merino is not great at moving moisture. Its warmer when wet than synthetic but you stay wet for longer

tragically1969
    Free Member

Merino is not great at moving moisture. Its warmer when wet than synthetic but you stay wet for longer

Glad it not just me then, I hate the stuff for that very reason, always feel clammy in it.

If anybody wants to North Face Merino thermals worn once fo decent money PM me !!

ElShalimo

They’re very good for walking or climbing or paddling but with cycling being a high output activity I think synthetic is better next to the skin.
    Synthetic vest under thin merino works for me, best of both worlds

tragically1969
    Free Member

I have worn them for ski and bike, useless for both IMO, much prefer synthetic, Merino irritates me too.

scotroutes

Merino. If ever there was a case of “the emperors new baselayer…”

tomd
    Free Member

Yep IME merino isn’t good for high intensity stuff and his heavy even before it gets wet. Like it for easy day walks and riding to work.

mattbee

Can’t live without my merino socks at work atm. Soaking wet but still not cold feet. I wore a pair of thick synthetic socks one day last week & my feet were freezing cold by the end of the day.

noltae
    Free Member

You wouldn’t walk through a muddy field and not expect mud on your boots – why would one expert to exercise and not have perspiration on their clothing ? “Breathable” is relative – if one thinks their going to be 100% dry after a work out their drinking way too much marketing Kool Aid ..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The merino base layers I’ve used were all a bit densly woven.

Personally I have more luck with cheap merino jumpers, about 3mm thick and a little more fluffy than the Icebreaker fabric. Layer with a tighter weave [t-shirt etc] to keep the wind out and you’ll be warm as toast.

Also – Merino doesn’t stink like a polyxxxxx.

Rayon is alright too, but really heavy when wet.

If it’s going to be wet and cold and you want to be light: yes, synthetic. But I don’t want to share a tent with you!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pertex shield jacket wet on the inside?’ is closed to new replies.