Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • People who take pics at bike races etc
  • grumm
    Free Member

Do you just rock up and find a spot? Don’t need to get permission etc – even if you end up selling them? What about using flash – considered ok if it’s not right in the riders faces?

Thinking of going up to some of the gravity enduro series.

Ta!

spacemonkey

I asked the same thing on here last year. Do a search and yee shall find …

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Basically, if you want to take pics in a public place, nobody can stop you. Polite to ask though.

I’ve used a remote flash a fair bit and never thought about it. But if I did it again, I’d make up a little sign saying ‘Flash photographer ahead’ as one or two people saw me but were surprised the flash came from the other side of the trail 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

no restrictions on taking pictures in a public place, on private land (off PROW) you need landowners/ organisers permission if you are commercial (and probably public liability insurance)

spectators pictures for personal use shouldn’t be an issue

leafleting the car park and the venue without permission/ agreement is always a good way to make people happy

grumm
    Free Member

OK thanks folks. Was mainly just gonna go and get some shots for a portfolio and maybe try and flog the odd one off my website to get some petrol money back or whatever.

Found the old thread spacemonkey – thanks.

grumm
    Free Member

Well I asked and they said it’s all good:

No probs on coming along and taking some photos or selling them on your site, if we could use some on our site that would be great.
    The only thing we ask is that you stay inside the tape, were marked, and listen to marshal’s instructions
    Cheers

Might see some of you at a couple of them.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What about using flash – considered ok if it’s not right in the riders faces?

If you fancy making some money out of it I’ll give you £50 to beat the crap out of anyone using a flash. I’m sure you’d get a few hundred more competitors chip in too.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you fancy making some money out of it I’ll give you £50 to beat the crap out of anyone using a flash. I’m sure you’d get a few hundred more competitors chip in too.

I’ve never had a problem using the flash and have asked riders if they’re bothered, not one has been negative. I used to be concerned at DH races as we were in the darkness of the forest with a burst of light. Not one complaint. I figure the riders are too busy looking at the circuit and are focused on racing to be bothered by a flash. As a racer I don’t remember being bothered either.
    The one thing I have found, though, is that the crap riders tend to complain and look to blame someone else for not being able to podium. 😉

project
    Free Member

because i enjoy watching racing like some like football, taking a camera is a handy way of recording the race and other things around the course.

Only one rider threatened to hurt me with the camera, for taking his picture,in quite a few races ive been to, most just smile or have a bit of banter, oh and if anyone wants a copy then they can email me for one.

rOcKeTdOg

THere are that many photogs at big races like MM no one will notice one more

donsimon
    Free Member

THere are that many photogs at big races like MM no one will notice one more

Any good ones?

steveh

As a racer flashes are very annoying if toward the face but can be ok if placed carefully. Organisers should ask people taking photos seriously to register their details with them in line with British Cycling child protection advice.

For dh races http://www.rootsandrain.co.uk has an awesome photo facility now with tagged photos of people by race number. I don’t know if they’re planning to add gravity enduros or not though.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The one thing I have found, though, is that the crap riders tend to complain and look to blame someone else for not being able to podium.

That explains my lack of trophies, and Henri Cartier-Bresson’s (using a flash is… “impolite…like coming to a concert with a pistol in your hand”).

donsimon
    Free Member

That explains my lack of trophies, and Henri Cartier-Bresson

Not very good a taking pics of cyclists, was he?

😈

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not very good a taking pics of cyclists, was he?

True. But he was polite. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

But in all fairness, you can’t ask all the riders for permission or authorisation. You can’t please all the people. You are going to upset some. If you are a regular rider and I know you don’t like having your picture taken and make it clear to me in a polite way, I’ll try not to take your pic.
    Most sponsored ridrs want and need their pics taken.
    You are, as said above, on public property and there is nothing to stop the photographers being there.
    The biggest complaint is against the photographers who are trying to make a living when people don’t see why they should have to pay.
    As a rider, you shouldn’t be sight-seeing, you’re racing… 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I did one of the Avalanche Enduros before and I have to say the flashes going off there never bothered me. In fact it made it more exciting 😆

footflaps

Nothing wrong with using a flash – raced myself and never bothered me – often bought a few of the good snaps.

The Elites are used to it, you’ll see loads of pro photographers with flashes at World Cup events.

Raindog
    Free Member

That second picture is ok, but I can’t see the rider’s number ?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘People who take pics at bike races etc’ is closed to new replies.