Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • People who love a food until they find out what it is…
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Girlfriend has just thrown a dinner party for some of her mates. One who only eats free-range – good on her – thought she was eating beef, and commented how nice it was and was tucking in well; until my GF tells her its Venison. Come the end of the meal she’s left the meat cos she couldnt eat Bambi…FFS..

Anyone else know people who have suddenly taken an aversion to a food when they realise its not an ugly animal?..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve lost my appetite when i realised who i was eating WAS an ugly animal……. 😉

djglover
    Free Member

I ordered haggis the otherday….

I enjoyed it, knew it was offal, but not a lung, surely??

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Kuco

My sister use to love black pudding till I told her what it was, she’s never eaten it since 😀

mboy
    Free Member

LOL @ Muddydwarf

I’ve seen people suddenly change their mind about something before, just cos of where it came from. Personally, there are a few meats I probably wouldn’t eat, but that’s my choice. My friend used to live in Hong Kong for instance, where Snake and Dog are quite normal apparently! No thanks, don’t care what it tastes like, I’ll stick to Chicken and Beef…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

black pudding

My mum always told me is was a black man’s willy. Ever since I found out it was just boring pig’s blood and sausage meat, I haven’t enjoyed it as much.

Nick

I don’t think I know anyone as up-tight as your wife’s friend so no.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i know someone who wont eat an animal with lips. beaks dont count, She gets very defensive/aggresive if you ask why.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Never understood it, I’ve never killed an animal myself but as a society i think we are definitley too far away from the source..Any money she’d wolf it down if she hadn’t eaten for a couple of days! At the end up our society allows these silly attitudes, hunger’s good kitchen as they say.

Mackem

When my parents visited me in Oz I let them finish their lovely steak before tellin them it was kangaroo. They werent impressed, amused me though. Kangaroo is lovely btw.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Damn you darcy! Damn you! I can’t make my glory hole joke now 🙁

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Interesting. I ate horse once not knowing what it was – thought it was an incredibly tender & tasty cut of meat, then I found out what it was.. Didnt stop me eating it!

wallop

I used to love taramasalata as a kid. Not any more….

loddrik
    Free Member

I unwittingly ate crab in Cuba as it was stuffed inside chicken, seemed ok at the time. We had just got off a 12 hour flight and I’d quickly downed a couple of beers. The wife waited until I’d finished it before she told me. I went outside to throw up, not very successfully I might add. Still makes me feel quesy just thinking about it.

BillMC

I used to eat ‘duck faggot’ until an Aussie guest asked the butcher what was in it. The answer included body parts I’d never heard of. Haven’t bought it since. It was nice though. I do happily eat roo, veal, black puddn, snails etc etc. Yum.

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t really understand why some people think it’s fine to eat animal flesh but won’t go near offal. End of the day you’re eating dead animal parts regardless!

carlosg
    Free Member

Mayonnaise ,never really liked it anyway then found out it’s mainly egg yolk and veg oil , what do they make the light option from low fat fat ?

Pieface

Whats wrong with crab?

I think the idea of offal is what puts people off, sometimes the texture as well. Kidneys for instance look like mushrooms, have a funny texture and taste like beef.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I unwittingly ate crab in Cuba as it was stuffed inside chicken<

I’d sooner eat Crab than chicken tbh – some of you guys need to get out more…

Tinners

I always considered myself a bit of a gourmet until I let the contents of my mouth dribble back onto the plate when I recognized a cross section of testicle in the “sweetbread roulade” I had at a restaurant in Cardiff Bay one evening (“Woods”, if you know it). It wasn’t sweet (cheesy, on fact), there was no bread in it and thanks to A level biology, a vegetarian Mrs T had to guide me to the gents, heaving all the way, whilst my startled fellow diners looked on before shoving their plates away in disgust.

Ambrose

@ Tinners- Classy!

matthewjb
    Free Member

I recognized a cross section of testicle in the “sweetbread roulade

Sweetbreads aren’t testicles. So either your Biology let you down or the restaurant was trying to pull a fast one.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s not just crab, I won’t touch any seafood. It all smells absolutely disgusting, no matter how fresh.

nostoc
    Free Member

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

i had a friend who did this, cooked him a great little stew, when i told him it was rabbit, he couldn’t eat any more.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>It’s not just crab, I won’t touch any seafood<

Pff… Your loss.

Fresh seafood just smells / tastes of the sea

mrmo
    Free Member

Mayonnaise ,never really liked it anyway then found out it’s mainly egg yolk and veg oil , what do they make the light option from low fat fat ?

I saw an episode of food factory on bbc, to be fair i didn’t like mayo anyway but the light stuff, doesn’t look good…

Militant_biker

With regards the OP, surely Venison IS free range? I mean, it’s got the whole bloody hill to roam around on, how much more free can you get?

Used to enjoy taking my leftover Easter rabbit curry into the work kitchen the next day…

Stoner
    Free Member

I was home alone once when a friend invited herself round unannounced. I had nothing in the house to cook for dinner so took the rifle out into the field and bagged a bunny.

Lopped its feet and head off with the splitting axe, paunched it and casseroled. She refused to eat it as she had watched me emptying it’s bladder into the kitchen sink 🙄

el_boufador

Always really surprises me when people take an irrational aversion to food.

The two most surprisingly tasty things I’ve eaten in the last year were 1) snails and 2) a sri lankan offal curry

Their loss!

el_boufador

Had really really good rabbit in a spainish restraunt once, but in the UK haven’t been able to repeat it too well cooking for ourselves. Quite tough. Expect they were old animals or we didn’t stew for long enough.

Oh yeah and Goat is really worth trying – absolutely lovely.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yeah, to be fair to him, it wasn’t so much because it was rabbit, he would probably have been just as upset if i had cooked his dog.

7hz
    Free Member

Meat eaters having an aversion to specific meats outside their ‘usuals’ is just an indication of how removed we have become from any farming process. Only about 1.8% of the population knows what goes on. Ask to see round a ‘free range’ chicken farm.

I’m a veggie, but I’d kill and eat most anything if I was hungry… I’d give it about a day without food at the most! No problem… I have killed and gutted bunnies before so I know what it’s like.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Goat is really worth trying – absolutely lovely.

One of the finest curries I have had was Jamaican goat curry made by a friend who was born there. Like a more tasty lamb.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘People who love a food until they find out what it is…’ is closed to new replies.