Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • People of the office world: why don't my suspension files hang?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Just brought a Vickers Furniture, Trimline 4 drawer filing cabinet from local charity shop. Purchased some Twinlock, Crystalfile Classic, 50mm, Foolscap files from eBay. The width is correct, but the files bottom out and and aren’t suspended. I’ve googled my first world problem and can’t find different depth options, just either A4 or Foolscap widths. What has my life come to……

wwaswas

50mm

don’t those ones have ‘flat bottoms’ that you have to fold correctly before hanging? So that the hanging bit is U shaped, not V?

Jamie
    Free Member

Take the filing cabinet and put it next to the canal.

Climb in, and wait for a youth to push you in.

It’s for the best.

RIP QWERTY.

qwerty
    Free Member

Aye, they do, done the origami bit, but still bottom out. The cabbinet has a 207mm hanging depth and the files require 235mm.

wwaswas

What do you call qwerty in a filing cabinet?

eqrtwy.

qwerty
    Free Member

Maybe its an Orange 5. Do they have bottoming out issues?

jam-bo

Trimline 4 drawer filing cabinet

is it a 650b filing cabinet or an out of date 26″?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think you might find you have a 26″ cabinet whereas your files are for the newer 650b or 29″ version. Does it have a stealth dropper hole it’s a dead giveaway.

Edit you wait all day then 3 show up at once

nealglover
    Free Member

The cabbinet has a 207mm hanging depth and the files require 235mm.

There’s your problem right there 😉

(And I don’t even work in an office)

qwerty
    Free Member

Hmmmm, so I’m lacking 28mm of hanging droop… I think this is a recurrent problem….

nealglover
    Free Member

Cut the bottom out of drawers 1 and 3

Weld together drawers 1 and 2 and then 3 and 4

Hanging space problem solved.

(Again….. I don’t work in an office.)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

28mm would leave you scuffing not hanging 😉

wwaswas

Viking say that their hanging folders have different depths?

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/bb/Lateral-Suspension-Files/N=2+1289110/

A4 and foolscap seems to refer to depth?

stumpy01

Cut 28mm from the bottom of the suspension files?

scotroutes

Has the filing cabinet been washed in hot water and shrunk?

andyl
    Free Member

235mm needed, current 207mm. Difference = 28mm.

Lets assume the CTE is 13.

If you heat the filing cabinet to 10,000degC then they should fit (ignoring the thing melting to a pile of molten metal and burning through to the centre of the Earth).

Jamie
    Free Member

If you heat the filing cabinet to 10,000degC then they should fit (ignoring the thing melting to a pile of molten metal and burning through to the centre of the Earth).

*insert joke about hot desking here*

andyl
    Free Member

Jamie
    *insert joke about hot desking here*

Clock is ticking…

buck53

You have an A4 filing drawer and foolscap suspension files, you need the (more expensive 😥 ) A4 suspension files.

mudshark
    Free Member

Can’t you just put a neat fold into each side of the suspension file and stick together with some glue? You know you can do it.

konabunny
    Free Member

suspension files are rubbish anyway. ring binders, champ.

qwerty
    Free Member

I thunked A4 v Foolscap referred to the width of the hanger, not the depth of da hang.

buck53

I thunked A4 v Foolscap referred to the width of the hanger, not the depth of da hang.

It’s both, Foolscap is larger all round than A4, hence foolscap is both wider in the spacing and deeper in the hang.

qwerty
    Free Member

Shirley someone on here is shat in an orifice and can wander over to the office clerk and enquire about the depth of insert in their drawers.

qwerty
    Free Member

So I’ve got Foolscap width and A4 depth? !!! ?

tonyd

OP, why is this even your problem? Can you not just hand the filing to your secretary? Perhaps with a little pat on the bottom just to let her know how appreciated she is.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Jamie wins, have five pounds.

somafunk

Aye, they do, done the origami bit, but still bottom out. The cabbinet has a 207mm hanging depth and the files require 235mm.

This highlights the differences between white collar desk drones and blue collar fixer drones 😀

Easy fix, buy a new filling cabinet for your 235mm files

qwerty
    Free Member

Oh the joys of commencing alien tasks after a set of night shifts….. I was hanging them in the wrong place, as the wife so correctly demonstrated this morning!!! DOH!!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘People of the office world: why don't my suspension files hang?’ is closed to new replies.