Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Penhydd trail opens today!
  • superfli
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/TUTcaoYIou0[/video]

Sidewinder+ DeadSheepgully survived from original. 7km blue+14km easy red, so a nice step up from blues to Afan red.
    Starting to look good in Afan again 😀 Next its Blade – 30km. I shall be spending some time in Afan next summer!

rOcKeTdOg

Looks like a lot of fun!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

When is the 30km due to open?

superfli
    Free Member

April apprently

senorj

Smart.
    sidewinder… 😀

charliedontsurf

That would be fun on a cross bike.

jaymoid

Looks great, I really want to take the misses here.

Apparently I’m “nu skool” in my mtb persuasion, open, fast and flowy. Learn something new every day!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone find Rowan Sorrel designed trails quite samey?
    Not in a bad way.. more the way he puts rollers in.. almost like you can tell he designed a particular trail.

superfli
    Free Member

Rowans trails have always been known for flow and rolling jumps. Yes samey blues – I found BPW blues too much of the same, but good for a little while. Better for beginners, which is what they are aimed at really.

corroded
    Free Member

Looks like a bike path. Which I guess in a way it is.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

I saw the video in Cognation’s fb page yesterday. It’s seems forever since the original Penrhydd was closed. I thought it was better than the wall and not a blue back then either. I’m glad those sections have survived as they where some of the best but it’s just not the same without the trees. Things change but I feel for the local businesses as IMO Afan has gone backwards.

Klunk
    Free Member

Hidden Valley RIP 🙁

mudmonster
    Free Member

Was at Afan last weekend and and was dismayed that we’d missed the opening by a week. Having seen that video I’m kind of glad 👿

baldman
    Free Member

I think that looks great. My kids can cope with simple smooth family trails at the moment but give it a year or so and they’ll need something to progress on to. They should put more of those sorts of beginner trails in as it makes the centres family destinations not just something for more experienced riders.

Edit +1 klunk

maxlite
    Free Member

+ 2 Klunk

Had some great rides on the old trail, Hidden Valley was brilliant.

The Wall was very motorway like when it first opened, It’s only 1/2 away from me but I’d rather ride Gower trails 🙂

oldnpastit

Penhydd used to be amazing. Start with that rooty section at the bottom, then climbing forever through the tall dark pine trees, rain slitting down from cold grey skies. Finally reaching the top, turn right and then zipping along, slooshing through puddles, sliding and slithering over stones, then was it Sidewinder first? The grin as you realise how much fun it’s going to be, bursting in and out of the trees, the secret silence of Hidden Valley , rain forgotten, cold irrelevant, brakes squealing, a small part of your brain wondering if there’s enough pad left to be of any use, the rest not caring, and finally reaching the bottom, splattered in mud, soaked to the skin, snow starting to fall, pads worn to nothing, ready for a

nice
    hot
    cup
    of
    tea.

wrecker
    Free Member

Looks like a good trail for young children. Could be a godsend, sent the non-mtbing wife around that with the nipper while you get a lap of the wall in.
    I still miss the old penhydd. Any news on the blade trail? Will it be a proper south welsh trail or more of this smooth stuff? Wrecker doesn’t like new school.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Rode both today, turns out the blue is more enjoyable than the red. Who would have thought it?

lovewookie

I’ve been so out of the loop on these trails, blessed (cursed?) by Scottish trail centres. 9feet trail was great, lent a hand in building it a little, got to know the characters around it, Phil Lee, Julian, Nick, the whole MTBWales.com thing that happened and then fell apart…

There was always a good vibe about the place, something I’d not experienced up the road at whites etc, but then back then it was in it’s infancy.

Hopefully I’ll get chance to visit when I’m next down south, really pleased it’s coming back together. 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

there’s a good chance i’ll be there with my wife on Friday, is the caff open? A quick google doesn’t bring up much beyond websites that look at least 5 years out of date…

weeksy

I got the impression from my neighbour it was like Swinley but not as good… He didn’t come back inspired that’s for sure.

faustus

Swinley but not as good…damned by faint praise indeed! Looks very wide for ‘singletrack’, and the surface looks smooth as tarmac in places. No thank ye.

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s a blue trail in the main, so for beginners, also trail on exposed welsh hillside, it’s going to weather pretty quickly so will get more character pretty soon if that’s an issue.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

and the surface looks smooth as tarmac in places. No thank ye. and the surface looks smooth as tarmac in places. No thank ye.

yeah this. any MTB trail that is smooth enough to ride on a BMX gets a thumb down for me 🙁

Nipper99
    Free Member

did both the blue and the red today on my cx – good cx loop. fine save that some of the rock steps were a bit of a challenge! braking bumps already in situe which does not bode well for the life span of the track.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I had a great ride today on the blue and new Penhydd red. The blue really works as a trail and is a great addition to entire Afan/Glyncorrwg centre as it’s perfect for kids/beginners and good fun for a quick blast on the big berms if you’re a bit faster.

It’s nice to have the Penhydd but it has lost a lot of character due to I) the lack of trees, II) the lack of the hidden valley trail (which has been replaced with a decent section but still). The new sections are decent and the sidewinder bit is still there. Still a good trail and it will be interesting to see how the new sections wear in over the winter.

The centre at afan was nice and busy too, which was good to see. New pay and display is only a £1 instead of whatever it was before – bikewash is free.

rickon
    Free Member

.yeah this. any MTB trail that is smooth enough to ride on a BMX gets a thumb down for me

Really?

The blue at GT is awesome, *because* its smooth enough to ride a bmx on. In fact last time I was there I rode behind a chap on a bmx who was popping the most awesome tricks off the kickers. Material does not make a trail rubbish, design does.

Variety keeps things fresh and entertaining on a bike, instead of just riding the same type of trails all the time. Roots, mud, rocks, gravel, tarmac, groomed trails, steps…..

wiggles
    Free Member

Might have to give it a whirl next weekend

veedubdave

Rode the new Penhydd red today. Didn’t have time for the blue though. Have to say that although it was great fun it doesn’t compare to Y Wal and Whites. Ironically the best bits for me were the old bits from the original – sidewinder and dead sheep gully, Sidewinder is classic Afan singletrack through the trees and rides so well.

The new bit at the start makes the initial climb ride well, but it’s followed by a fair bit of winching up the fire road, but I suppose that gets you up the hill quickly!

I found the new downhill bits a bit too manicured and bike park like, very samey, very like the downhill sections at garw valley and bike park wales. Sad to say but all very Rowanish and not in keeping with the more natural flavour of Afan for me. I hope the new Blade trail isn’t so bike park ish. We need a new proper natural feeling trail!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

we’re driving down tomorrow for a mid-week overnighter, prob going to explore the new penhydd side tmorrow, then check out whatever theyve done with W2/blade for a longer ride wednesday.

DT78
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks that boardwalk stuff will be lethal by next winter when the moss has grown on it?

Looks fun. Afan back on this years places to visit. Might be worth staying over again.

campfreddie
    Free Member

Heading up there on Friday to see how much we can fit in. Usually so W2 and then feel at a loss for what else to do. Might try to split it this time and then chuck in penhydd in lieu of the dull link section ride.

ChrisI

veedubdave – Member
    Rode the new Penhydd red today. Didn’t have time for the blue though. Have to say that although it was great fun it doesn’t compare to Y Wal and Whites. Ironically the best bits for me were the old bits from the original – sidewinder and dead sheep gully, Sidewinder is classic Afan singletrack through the trees and rides so well.

Couldnt agree more. And fully agree with the rest of your thoughts/findings. Shame really as a bit of Rowanish is all good, but it was just too much of the same swoopy bermy stuff. Needs some interest in between them. Having never ridden the old trail, I loved ripping through Sidewinder. Bit of the same with BPW, and even Swinley which is our local and also done by Rowan. You’re lucky you missed the blue really, its more of the same of what you didn’t really like on the red!

To me it a good trail to add to the weekend (and the rest of Afan), but I wouldn’t head up there just for that trail alone which I would for several of the Lakes/Scotland routes.

veedubdave

<To me it a good trail to add to the weekend (and the rest of Afan), but I wouldn’t head up there just for that trail alone which I would for several of the Lakes/Scotland routes.>

Luckily I only live about 30-40 mins away, so not worried about having to go too far. Proposed up today as it was my birthday and the sun was out ( at least this morning), and I had the day off!

I hope Rowan gets the message and starts to put some more natural singletrack back into his trail centre builds…

booktownman
    Free Member

I thought the same. It felt quite like BPW. It is billed as a soft option red though.

Paceman
    Free Member

Isn’t it designed as a stepping stone for the more technical Afan trails? Or to add something a little different? Sounds like it hits the mark. I loved most if the old Penhydd trail and was sad to see it go. Very much looking forward to riding Sidewinder again when I’m next over that way 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Lots of trail in that part of the world are getting Rowaned. Not that its a bad thing but its always good to mix it up with the natural stuff too. Looking forward to giving the new Penhydd trail ago and the new stuff at cwncarn.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hmmm, a step backwards from the original. Long fireroad climbs to access the singletrack (which they’re trying to engineer out of The Wall with the likes of Elevator). Some fun sections, some very Sorrelled which is getting a bit samey. And Blimey its short, we haven’t ridden off road for months and were rusty, we were back at the centre after 1hr 10 mins.

In other news, Whites Level climb and descent (we did W2) is totally open and exposed, totally different feel and will be grim in rain and wind (like this afternoon…). And Blade due to open Feb 14th.

mtbfix

Hmmm, a step backwards from the original. Long fireroad climbs to access the singletrack (which they’re trying to engineer out of The Wall with the likes of Elevator).

My understanding is that the new trails are designed with newer riders in mind so fire road climbs, unengaging as they may be, make a lot of sense. The more technical climbs on the other side of the valley are great once you know what you are doing but would be a nightmare for the uninitiated to clean.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Hmmm, a step backwards from the original. Long fireroad climbs to access the singletrack

The original had a log fireroad climb to start, along with another one between Hidden Valley and Sidewinder so i dont think its that much different there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Penhydd trail opens today!’ is closed to new replies.