• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by igm.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Pearl Barley
  • chvck
    Free Member

I’ve got a stew slowly cooking in the oven and just noticed that I have some pearl barley in the cupboard. I’ve never cooked with it before – if I throw it in the stew now will it hold it’s structural integrity or is it like rice and I’ll end up with goop? Should I wait until about an hour before I want to eat until adding it?

domino

About 20 mins before should do it. Don’t go mad with it or it’ll soak up too much ‘gravy’.

chvck
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Chuck it in ASAP or you’ll crack a tooth on it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I agree it takes a fair while to cook and woul dwant circa 1 hour in a stew if gentl simmering and perhaps 20-30 mins in a soup that was boiling away

it wont gloop like rice will but i assume it can after ages and ages and ages

Undercooked and it will be hard and inedible

dannyh
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. Pearl barley can be consigned to the ‘not really food at all’ bin IMO.

There it can acquaint itself with butter beans, celery, beetroot and tofu!

Cougar

Do it separately in a pan then chuck it in rather than risk destroying a meal if you’re not sure?

chvck
    Free Member

That’s a good idea but I do want it to soak up a bit of liquid – it’s very gentle simmer so I’ll go for 45 – 60 minutes and then it can keep cooking for a while longer if the barley isn’t cooked.

slowoldman

Hmmmmm. Pearl barley can be consigned to the ‘not really food at all’ bin IMO.

I agree. It infected a great deal of stuff my Grandma used to make. Though a couple of years back Mrs SoM had a mutton and pearl barley stew in a nice gastropub which I have to admit was rather good.

richmars

We fired pearl barley out of Bic pen cases at school. Makes great ammo.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Pearl Barley as ammo? Ghetto life.

brakes
    Free Member

Undercooked and it will be hard and inedible

cooked it will be just inedible

richmars

Pearl Barley as ammo? Ghetto life.

Just the right size. it was 40 years ago.

aP
    Free Member

I quite like pearl barley every now and then. We use it in chilies and stews to add texture and depth.

dannyh
    Free Member

We use it in chilies and stews to add a vile texture

FTFY!

chvck
    Free Member

Well I managed to cook it! I did really like what it added too, a very different texture to the rest of the ingredients. Will be adding some to tomorrow’s chilli.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m glad you like it! For me, it always adds that momentary powdery then slimy texture that lentils also have. There are very few foods I dislike, but ones that do that just make me bulk instantly.

As with most things that are vile, I suspect it’s very good for you, so fair play……….

Philby

My Mum used to make a lovely pudding similar to rice pudding with pearl barley, raisins / currants and milk done in the oven. Must try and dig out the recipe.

Cougar

I read somewhere someone suggested it as a vegetarian substitute for mince. Unconvinced myself.

paladin

Good for thickening soups,casseroles, mince etc. Can also use oatmeal.

z1ppy

I came across it with a Huge Whittingstall’s recipe for Roast Chicken the pearl barley turns into a crunchy fruity nutty stuffing, gorgeous.

Drac

We fired pearl barley out of Bic pen cases at school. Makes great ammo.

This.

igm

Had a pearl barley risotto (yes I know contradiction in terms) in a restaurant last week – ”twas fantastic.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Pearl Barley’ is closed to new replies.