Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PC speakers with a TV
  • failedengineer

I’m about to buy a ‘small’ TV for the kitchen (22″ – used to be ‘big’!). The speakers are bound to be rubbish, so I wondered about getting a pair of small PC speakers (not much room) and connecting them via the headphone socket. USB powered if possible for less wiring clutter. Anyone done similar?

IHN

When my other half was flat sharing when we met, she and her flat mate did just this. Worked pretty well.

enfht
    Free Member

Similar predicament but my screen only has an optical output, so if anyone can recommend a ‘cheap’ speaker I’d be interested.

jon1973
    Free Member

Similar predicament but my screen only has an optical output, so if anyone can recommend a ‘cheap’ speaker I’d be interested.

Does it have USB? You can get PC speakers that connect to USB.

failedengineer

That was part of my original question – will the USB output of a TV be powered? Plus, does USB transmit audio anyway?

DezB
    Free Member

Tellys usually only have USB input – could be wrong (usually am).

Cougar

will the USB output of a TV be powered? Plus, does USB transmit audio anyway?

Almost certainly.
    Almost certainly not.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Powered enough to run some speakers which will be better than the ones in the TV?

Probably not…

RichPenny
    Free Member

USB can transmit audio, bloody surprised if that functionality was available on a TV though. And agreed with above, any USB powered speakers won’t be particularly god.

fibre
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51MF1610AA003-GigaWorks-Multimedia-Technology/dp/B001IZZ2PE

I’ve had these (older version) hooked up to my PC for years. Great sound for music\video\TV for the size and price , especially compared to how much I spent on my Hifi :S. They are active speakers so more than loud enough if need.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PC speakers with a TV’ is closed to new replies.