Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • PC Gamers – what are the games to own these days?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

In terms of RTS

Wargame: Red Dragon
    Company of Heroes 2

Starcraft 2 doesn’t come close to either of these, unless you like old school horde gameplay RTS.

(company of heroes 2 is decent but the original does most of the key stuff better)

With the updates and dlc and a couple of mods – about the only thing it does better than the original is frame rates.

Northwind

Tom_W1987 – Member

With the updates and dlc and a couple of mods – about the only thing it does better than the original is frame rates.

Nah, it still lacks the easy readability and tactility of the original. Coh2 has the same obsession with micromanagement, overloaded screens and slippery interface that spoiled dow.

chomp
    Free Member

Shadow Tactics is pretty good. Hasn’t quite grabbed me like Commando’s did many moons ago but it’s the best of that genre I’ve played for ages

phil40
    Free Member

If you have a group of mates to play online with then R6 Siege is great! It is an FPS but very strategic! Think 3d puzzle with FPS shooting!

smogmonster

Smiththemainman…now THAT is a beast! Awesome. 😯

v8ninety

What type of controller do people use for these fast games on PC? Is mouse still king, (could never get on with that, too kinda floppy) or can you get console style controllers now?

mattyfez

Mouse is a must for fps and RTS.
    Xbox controler for other stuff.

v8ninety

Fps is first person shooter right? Why o why is a mouse so much better for this genre? I just don’t get it (admittedly I’ve only ever been a casual gamer). RTS I completely understand, but there’s no damn cursor in an fps!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers Smog, not familiar with what is top spec and what isn`t lad at work was the one spending my money 🙂 I got a ROCCAT KONE XTD – Mouse , not used one for over 10 years and the mouse and key combo is hanging me out to dry when panic mode sets in as I encounter an enemy in the cold light of day!!Going to have to get is cracked as my lad is trying it with a Xbox One controller and very very limited on Battlegrounds.

mattyfez

Fps is first person shooter right? Why o why is a mouse so much better for this genre?

Because you cant aim accuratly or react quickly enough with a controller, simple as that really.

There is a learnng curve if you are used to a controller, but mouse and keybord is much better once you get the hang of it.

Try playing battlefield, or any fps against other humans with a controller, and you’ll get repeatedly bummed by everyone.

smogmonster

Mouse and keyboard always ruled in the world of FPS’s…far more accurate than a controller could ever be, at least in my inept paws.

martinhutch

Seem to remember they had shared servers for console and PC on TF2 for a bit – did not go well!

Northwind

v8ninety – Member

RTS I completely understand, but there’s no damn cursor in an fps!

Sure there is, it’s just that the POV rotates around it rather than it moving in the screen

mattyfez

Seem to remember they had shared servers for console and PC on TF2 for a bit – did not go well!

Epic!, I bet there was a lot of this going on:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwKTDyDgBUI[/video]

Daffy

My office PC might be reasonable for a few of these…

Twin E5 2699 V4s (22 cores per chip)
    256Gb DDR4
    Twin Geforece 1080GTX Ti 11Gb cards
    Raid 1 2TB SSD.

What would be recommended for a lunchtime blast?

Del

bloody show off! 😯 😆 8)

Del

Daffy, if you haven’t played the portal games they are well worth it. your machine might be a bit over-specced, but you can pick them up and put them down really easily as they have ( for the most part ) very short levels.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My office PC might be reasonable for a few of these…

It would be incredibly rude NOT to chuck some very demanding games at it. Civilization VI with a humongous map and 4K detail would be well worth seeing running on that, as would something like Assetto Corsa or Elite Dangerous.

Having a gaming PC isn’t always about the blockbuster games which are often optimised for the Xbox or PS4. Right now at chez PJM, we’re playing Thimbleweed Park (by the creators of Monkey Island) amongst others. There’s a rerelease of Another World on Steam too.

Northwind

See also: FTL, Bastion. (Bastion has the huge advantage of being pretty short- I’ve nothing against long games, I’ve put hundreds of hours into various Total Wars but sometimes it’s nice to finish one in a few hours.)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘PC Gamers – what are the games to own these days?’ is closed to new replies.