Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Paxman's "Britain's Great War".
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anybody else watched this? Interesting deconstruction of the “Blackadder” version of history…

Pigface
    Free Member

Seen all 4 and thought they were excellent, learnt a lot and found Paxman to be genuinely moved at times.

MrOvershoot

Yes I have it on series record too as I’ve a habit of slight “slippage” just after 9pm & TBH it’s always good to watch it again as you often miss little snippets.

Had to laugh at the Daily Wail saying as so few men would make it home that most of the women would become lesbians. (Not much has changed in 100 years of DM journalism eh)
    I’m not for a moment making light of the 10% who didn’t come back. My grandfather lost his 2 elder brothers on the same day in 1916 they were both blown to pieces when their artillery position was hit & all their ammunition went up, nothing left of them to bury as I understand it.

pondo

I’ve recorded it, really looking forward to catching up.

binners

They’ve been absolutely excellent*! One of those programmes that justify your license fee. Its been interesting for them to concentrate on some other aspects of the conflict other than the military. To see the social and political changes it ushered in as well, which I didn’t know anything about – like the Daily Mail fear of mass lesbianism!

* I suspect Michael Gove wouldn’t agree

nbt

Have 4 episodes on the PVR on series record, waiting to be watched.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I must catch up.

I found Paxman’s bandy legs mesmerising and offputting.

br
    Free Member

Good series, especially as it was from a different ‘angle’.

Blackhound

Enjoyed the series. I was reading Seigfried Sassoon’s biography at the time ( I read his Memoirs of a Military Man ~40 years ago) and he got a mention.

Since reading the above book 40 years ago I have held an interest in WW1. I saw a graveyard in Northern France in 2012 on a bike tour. A couple of months ago I went to the German cemetery on Cannock Chase. These are incredibly sadplaces and you wonder how people can just start yet more wars.

I was very surprised to learn about 2 years ago that my grand father was in WW1 as a chauffeur. He was born ~1892 and was part of a large family in the 1901 census. By 1911 only him and an elder sister remained and he was already in India driving from around 1909 becoming the first Irishman to hold a driving licence – so I have been told. As hostilities broke out he re-enlisted and was in France.

taxi25
    Free Member

Really enjoyed it, credit to Paxman as well he got it spot on.

avdave2

I watched the final episode last night. Just a few hours earlier I’d crossed the St. Quentin canal where that remarkable photo was taken and passed Cambrai and the Vimy ridge as we drove back from a job in Barcelona. Next time I shall make time to stop. It has been an excellent series and there are a further 2 documentaries this week on the BBC one positing the idea that it was an inevitable and necessary conflict the other challenging that notion and suggesting it was avoidable without letting Germany control Europe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Paxman's "Britain's Great War".’ is closed to new replies.