Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Paul's Components Thumbies
  • LardLover
    Free Member

Correct me if I’m wrong, Paul’s Component Thumbies are just the mounts aren’t they??

Only asking as my mate is after a new ‘handbrake’ for his handcycle, rather than the butt-ugly big Shitmano thumb shifter that is currently being used.

Can any thumb shifter be used with the Paul’s Thumbies or are they desgined to work with bar end shifters??

Thanks in advance, I’m feeling a little thick, just want to make sure I’m reading it correctly.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Paul’s thumbies just mean that you can mount a bar end shifter in a thumb shifter position. So instead of having of them be drop bar (or TT bar) use only, you can put them on flat bars as well.

Thumb shifters usually have their own attached mount so they already are able to go on flat bars. You might be able to mount them to some thumbies, but that’s not what the thumbies are designed for.

househusband

Yup, just the mounts – have a pair on one bike and have some more on the way from the US.

Use them with, assuming you’re still stuck in the 9sp era like I am, Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 9sp bar end shifters.

nedrapier

Might be worth checking out the Microshift thumbshifters. They come in 9 or 10 speed. front mech shifter is micro-adjust friction, rather than index, so trimable and good for double or triple. V happy with mine.

clicky:

househusband

Yeah, I was looking at the Microshift ones too – the front on the Shimano Dura Ace can be switched easily from indexed to friction. I figured that if I ever do make the move to 10sp then all I’ll need to is buy new shifters rather than new shifters and mounts… swings and roundabouts! I just like Paul stuff.

jameso

SJS shifter mounts
    These work ok, but non hinged and not as neat as Paul version.

T1000
    Free Member

SJS cycles sell the ‘forge’ mounts version have uk stock and sell individual ones as well
    V good quality

LardLover
    Free Member

nedrapier – they look good. He doesn’t need it for gear shifting duties, it’s purely to operate the handbrake on his handcycle, to stop it moving when he’s getting in and out of it, or if he needs a rest on an uphill section to stop him rolling back. The front mech is also adjusted using a thumb shifter so if he was to buy a pair he could use the other one on the front mech (friction not indexed front mech).

Where can they had from then?

LardLover
    Free Member

s’ok, found them.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Paul's Components Thumbies’ is closed to new replies.