Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Part worn car tyres…?
  • plus-one

Hi all
    Looking for advice/info regarding part worn car tyres..
    Are they worth considering or leave well alone..?
    Thanks in advance.. 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

Why would you want to put car tyres on an mtb?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

You need to lose some tread otherwise they tend to catch on the seat stays, or fork bridge. Fine with new on rigid forks though.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Leave alone -you don't know their history although there many happy users.

righty
    Free Member

i have been using them for years on both my cars with no problems, just make sure they don't palm you off with winter tyres- unless you want them

gusamc
    Free Member

I used them happily, car was a 150,000 miler and scrubbed the outsides, so the outside was bald and the inside had about 8/10 mm left .. they used to let me look at the pile in stock and choose, I'd wait if nothing good was there

plus-one

Thanks for opinions.. (genuine ones).. And fully expected piss take too
    🙂

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Tyres are the only thing between you and that ditch. They give most grip when they have new tread. Why bother?

Speshpaul

"Leave alone -you don't know their history although there many happy users"
    So if you brought a second hand car would you change all for tyres? As you don't know their history.
    If you wouldn't run a punctured /repaired tyre don't buy a part worn one. And don't buy crap makes! A quality part worn will still be better than a cheap chinese new one.

plus-one

It was 2 pirelli tyres with 6mm and 7mm tread on them..£110 for both..
    I was kinda thinking they would be better than 2 budget tyres for £50each..
    Funds are wee bit tight..
    Good to hear from users.. 🙂

petrieboy

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/52/19706.html

Not worth the risk. Got to ask yourself if there's nothing wrong with them, why are they not still on the car they were fitted to?

porter_jamie

Speshpaul – Member

"Leave alone -you don't know their history although there many happy users"
    So if you brought a second hand car would you change all for tyres? As you don't know their history.
    If you wouldn't run a punctured /repaired tyre don't buy a part worn one. And don't buy crap makes! A quality part worn will still be better than a cheap chinese new one.

I would, and have done. First thing i did was drive round ATS and have 4 brand new michelins fitted. Crappy non brand tyres are dangerous. The braking distances in the wet alone should make you want to fit proper tyres. dont do it! would you want you/your family to stop just before or just into the lorry that just pulled out on you.

Rant over, sorry, crap tyres are a pet hate of mine…

as for part worn, you really don't know what has been going on. I wouldn't myself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10226828

plus-one

Thanks guys some interesting info…!

tony24
    Free Member

just get a new 1 off ebay they sell on there for really good prices usually last lot i got were yokohama tyres £200 with free delivery for 4 and they were good tyres aswell.

ash.addy
    Free Member

don't even consider it….

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I wouldn't now as I have a family to transport around, I did a few years ago on my mk2 gti with no ill effects. Took a proper ragging too

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Plus one have you been pricing around? – unless you are running a strange size they are taking the pee @ 55 quid for a parted used Pirelli – I had 4 brand new 205/16 Pirelli's fitted together with a 4 wheel laser for £240 last month

Edric64
    Free Member

I use them on an Astra at 10 quid each on the wheel and just take the old wheels to the tip

plus-one

Still looking around at prices..
    They are 205/50/17..

Northwind

How well does it work out economically? I'm about to put new fronts on mine and for a decent-enough name brand tyre, it doesn't work out expensive. I'm not buying sporty expensive rubber or anything but with fitting taken into account, how much do you really save?

spooky_b329

I've bought a couple in the past, I also take the view;

They could be premium brand tyres with plenty of tread but that's not to say the nearside tyres haven't been run over a kerb at 30mph. How often do you hear of car tyres suddenly disintegrating and causing an accident? Sometimes you find the tread detaches from the tyre but that is usually under-inflation or old age.

First I bought was from some dodgy old backstreet garage, which was for use as a spare tyre. Should've walked away but I needed to replace my spare. The guy wouldn't let me roll the tyres out from the rack to look at the sidewalls (I did anyway) and then after fitting the tyre, decided to tell me the balancing machine was broken. Won't be going back there.

Second one, I needed a spare wheel and tyre for my van. Wheel was going to cost £30 for a rusty old rim, plus £70 for a new tyre. Managed to get a good condition rim with a part worn tyre with 9mm thread for £60 from a breakers. The tyre had a tiny flat spot so it had obviously been skidded when the van it was fitted to had been written off, but the rest of the tyre looked perfect and no damage to the rim.

5lab

i use part worns on all my cars, have done for years, and have never had a problem. Place round the corner charges £20 fitted, which from my perspective is a bargin

Tyres are the only thing between you and that ditch. They give most grip when they have new tread. Why bother?

not really true. Tyres resist aquaplaning most when they have new tread, but the grip level is pretty consistant with wear. I've never aquaplaned a car, and given the government sign off on 1.6mm of tread being fine to mitigate the risk legally, I'll probably carry on.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Hmmm, one or two 'Daily Mail' responses in that lot. But seriously, part worn are fine if they're fine – if you see what I mean. There's no difference between you riding around on tyres that have, say, 10k in them or buying equivalent condition part worn tyres that have 10k on them.

Try and get matched pairs at least.

And you're helping use the planet's resources wisely buying part worns; far better than them going to be destroyed or put on top of a silage clamp while they still have life in them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your driving hard enough to require good tires to keep you out the ditch then slow the **** down .

sit back from the car in front

money shouldnt have to buy safety in this case. First thing between you and the ditch is your head not your tires !

Ive only bought 2 new tires in my life and thats because i needed them that afternoon.

Running part worns from the scrap yard on my van atm as i needed 3 new wheels (1 spare and the previous owner dented 2 rims) – 100 quid delivered to my door on a pallet for 4 wheels with 4 hardly worn tires on them – less dangerous than 2 new tires on one side id have thought given all 4 wheels are same , tires are the same and visually look like they were off the same vehicle – equal tread depths.

not had an issue in 6 years doing it , obviously do not accept anything you think might be suspect , ive had them try to sell me tires/wheels with cuts and small bulges in the past – you do need to look closely at them and not just accept what they say

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Thread depth or pattern has nothing to do with dry grip – all the tread does is disperse water.

Marge
    Free Member

Tyres definitely get worse with age regardless of remaining tread depth. Anything over 5 years is quite a lot worse than a new tyre but it is not an exact science as it depends on the spec of the tyre plus how they have been stored during that time frame.
    I've never heard a good answer why 1.6mm is the legal level. Any one who has ever tested tyres professionally can confirm that aquaplaning resistance & wet braking distances rapidly worsen below 3.0mm.

If anyone really wants to but 2nd hand tyres then I would strongly suggest they choose a premium brand. This is only because the premium manufacturers do make very thorough durability testing of their product.
    I know for sure the tyre manufacturer for whom I work take it very seriously & makes constant market studies of used tyres to evaluate market robustness.

For me the difference between buying 2nd hand tyres & not replacing the tyres on a 2nd hand car comes down to likelihood that the tyres on the car have proven themselves to be free from durability issues. The 2nd hand tyres could have been taken from any crashed wreck… They might look fine from the outside but there is always a risk factor that you cannot see internal damages.

spooky_b329

Whilst we are on the subject, just wondering how many people know how to read the age of their tyres without having a sneaky Google first? Particularly important for campervan and caravan owners where low mileages mean its not uncommon to find 15yr old tyres! Read about a motorhome that had the tread peel off two tyres in one trip, owner got lucky that he only had a hole in the floor to show for it. He soon stopped ranting about sueing the tyres manufacturer when it was pointed out his 15yr old motorhome was on its original rubber!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Part worn car tyres…?’ is closed to new replies.