Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Parking fight – who was in the right?
  • Markie
    Free Member

To answer before giving the scenario, I think was in the right, but still an arse.

So, I drive into a council car park, behind lots of cars. In looking for spaces I have the choice of turning left or right, or going straight on. The cars in front of mr all turn right, towards the biggest aggregation of spaces (though all look full). As I come up to the turn, I see a car straight ahead preparing to leave, a mom getting her baby out of its buggy. I stop to wait and go into their. space.

I have stopped before the left and right turns. There is enough space that the cars behind me can (and do) drive past me and turn right. After I have stopped, a car comes from the left (ie they had probably turned left after entering the car park to look for a space and not found anything, so turned around and come back down), drives across in front of me and turns left, ie into my ‘straight ahead’ area, turns around and lines up behind the car that’s about to leave.

The car leaves. I drive forward into the space. So does the other car. We’re not head on, instead maybe at 30 degrees, so by winding down our windows we can talk. She says that as she had been in the car park looking for a space for longer than me, this is her space, plus I had been blocking traffic waiting. I maintained that I had seen this space significantly before her and that I had been waiting for it in a reasonable location. She said she was prepared to wait all day for the space. I said me too 😳 and then after 2 minutes it transpired that she wasn’t all that prepared after all and I got the space.

So. Basically, I think I had a ‘right’ to the space, but that I was an arse to insist on it. I mean, really, who argues over a parking space?! Why have I written all this? To remind me that actually, being chilled is reward enough, no need to try to claim parking spaces too. Far out!

Edit: and I was wearing crocs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Audi?

aa
    Free Member

It sounds like Leicestershire county council after 9am.

piemonster

Possibly even a TT

trail_rat
    Free Member

This is why i like being a competitor in the shit car olympics – rusty old dented cars tend to get given all the room in the world;)

allthepies
    Free Member

..and the world keeps turning…

Markie
    Free Member

Well, bumps and shouting were never a risk, but FWIW on this spinning planet of ours, mines 180,000 miles worth of Peugeot 406 and hers was a newish Corsa.

shifter
    Free Member

A mom?

legend
    Free Member

sounds like you’re both dicks

bearnecessities

How quaint.

br
    Free Member

How fit was she?

If you ‘would’, let her have the space 🙂

pictonroad

Ok, you’re both idiots, granted, beautiful big world, and you’re arguing over parking spaces, we all agree this is the correct answer, you’re BOTH wrong…

but..

Actually, I refer you to a supermarket basket only till Q, where you wait at the. “Wait here” sign, for a multitude of potential servers, under these circumstances the person first in Q, ie her, should get priority.

Or

The rest if the supermarket where such etiquette applies not, here it is feral, tis up to an individual to select a likely space and wait, should someone choose the better Q next to you then length of wait counts for nowt and they go first.

ATM machines in pairs vary between these systems depending on the integrity of the custom, and the distance between outlets.

Bombers?

pictonroad

Oh, yeh, what b r says. Every time.

Tom-B
    Free Member

What would molgrips do?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Worry?

refer you to a supermarket basket only till Q, where you wait at the. “Wait here” sign, for a multitude of potential servers, under these circumstances the person first in Q, ie her, should get priority.

There is a plethora of tills you have chosen one and wait your turn – someone pushes in because they started looking first and we all agree that is fine – thats what happens right?

This is what actually happened not your all queuing together scenario

If someone is waiting for an obvious space it is theirs.

brakes
    Free Member

bearnecessities

Small space/tight fit/guide her/go in backwards/open her doors.

All the ingredients are there, just can’t make it work.

kimbers

I used to work with an angry scouse lad (and his mrs- who was lovely), he was well educated from a posh family but just had a short fuse

He and his Mrs went out to saffron walden for lunch came back and she was really upset asked him why

he’d got into an argument with a guy about a parking spot who got abusive so he had to ‘tap him on the nose’ to calm him down the guy fell back into his car and then apparently kicked the scouse lad who then had to drag him out the car and ‘calm him down a bit more’

All caught on cctv he got away with a caution but I reckon hes probably banged up now

Jamie
    Free Member

I used to work with an angry scouse lad (and his mrs- who was lovely), he was well educated from a posh family but just had a short fuse

He and his Mrs went out to saffron walden for lunch came back and she was really upset asked him why

he’d got into an argument with a guy about a parking spot who got abusive so he had to ‘tap him on the nose’ to calm him down the guy fell back into his car and then apparently kicked the scouse lad who then had to drag him out the car and ‘calm him down a bit more’

All caught on cctv he got away with a caution but I reckon hes probably banged up now

brakes – Member

project
    Free Member

She says that as she had been in the car park looking for a space for longer than me, this is her space, plus I had been blocking traffic waiting. I maintained that I had seen this space significantly before her and that I had been waiting for it in a reasonable location. She said she was prepared to wait all day for the space. I said me too and then after 2 minutes it transpired that she wasn’t all that prepared after all and I got the space.

I notice the over use of Her and she, obviously you have a hatred of womebn, especuially in car parks that where designed by men,or youve had little experience of women, because if you had YOU WILL KNOW YOURE ALWAYS WRONG.

Last week in Morisons a woman reversed back into a car also reversing out of a space driven by a man,opposite her, and the week before saw a man reversing correctly into a space, and a woman drove forward into the space in front of her,the one he was reversing into, her excuse was it was easier than reversing into a space, he did try explaining to her he was reversing, and she just pointed out it was to dangerous for her.

Thankfully no damages to note to any cars,just amazement from us men at the logic women apply to parking.

DezB
    Free Member

Another reason why I hate going anywhere by car

Markie
    Free Member

A mom?

Baby and all!

I can’t put up too much of a fight but, more charitably, I’d like to suggest we both just behaved a bit dickishly on this occasion.

Ok, you’re both idiots, granted, beautiful big world, and you’re arguing over parking spaces, we all agree this is the correct answer, you’re BOTH wrong…

Amen!

Reference the supermarket scenario, a key difference is that there is not just one queue feeding into available spaces – it’s more as if everybody hung out by likely looking checkouts and then gave way (or not) to somebody else rallying their trolley over and saying they’d been waiting longer. That doesn’t reduce the idiocy of my scenario.

I notice the over use of Her and she, obviously you have a hatred of womebn

While I wasn’t feeling the love, there was certainly no hatred!

Another reason why I hate going anywhere by car

Sorry. I can sincerely promise that I won’t be doing it again.

Thank you for the brethren pictures!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Last week in Morisons a woman reversed back into a car also reversing out of a space driven by a man,opposite her, and the week before saw a man reversing correctly into a space, and a woman drove forward into the space in front of her,the one he was reversing into, her excuse was it was easier than reversing into a space, he did try explaining to her he was reversing, and she just pointed out it was to dangerous for her.

All the ingredients are there, just can’t make it work.

DrP

If you do the maths (and you should), the most mathematically efficient way of clearing punters is to have multiple queues for multiple tills/spaces, as opposed to a single queue feeding off into all the tills/spaces…

ring her up and tell her that.

Maths.

DrP

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve stayed half parked in a space and started reading a book until the other person drove off.

But it was my space see. After they left, I parked elsewhere in case they came back and damaged my car.

brakes
    Free Member

I parked elsewhere in case they came back and damaged my car.

haha!

tinribz
    Free Member

~Carparks, every man/woman for themselves, first to get within 2m and stop, established etiquette. I’m not going to drive past an empty space because someone the other side might want it. As pointed out the maths back it up, bear no grudges against any lucky anti-clockwisers.

Fast food and bars on the other hand, it’s just plain rude when there is a clear queue. Just because your ‘near’ the front doesn’t mean it becomes a free for all. Yes I’m talking to you McDonald’s people.

crikey
    Free Member

You were wearing Crocs. Idiot badges for the feet.

You had no chance at all of winning anything because while wearing Crocs, you are full of fail.

Mr_C
    Free Member

Funny Audi TTs should get mentioned in a thread about parking.

A couple of years ago I was the only car waiting in a small car park for a space to come free. Whilst waiting another car came in and waited alongside. Eventually someone came back and went to a car near the exit, I looked across at the other driver and he indicated for me to take the space. I had to wait for the other car to leave the car park before I could get in the space, as the car went towards the exit another came into the car park causing the other to have to move over and wait giving the new arrival a free run at the empty space which they drove into. There was no way the driver hadn’t seen the two of us waiting so I went to have a word. The woman in the car gave me the biggest shit-eating grin as she claimed not to have seen anyone waiting and refused to move.

That was they day I found out how easily the rear wing of an Audi TT caves in when you give it a relatively light punch

johndoh
    Free Member

Mr C.

I think I know what the ‘C’ stands for.

Markie
    Free Member

Maths.

I’ll cling to that as my regret builds.

I’ve stayed half parked in a space and started reading a book until the other person drove off.

Thanks for that, makes me feel not totally beyond the pale!

Fast food and bars on the other hand, it’s just plain rude when there is a clear queue.

In fact, in bars I’d go as far as to say the clear queue doesn’t matter – if you know they were there before you then you signal it’s their go if you should catch the bartender’s eye first!

You were wearing Crocs. Idiot badges for the feet.

You had no chance at all of winning anything because while wearing Crocs, you are full of fail.

I know – it’s why I put my edit in, though I missed the 🙁 off the end. They’re basically a modern day dunce’s cap.

I’d also like to make clear that the lady in question and I had a civilised discussion about the etiquette of the car park and there was no chance of it moving beyond this. Yes I should have backed down, but there was no chance I would have taken it further!

oldnpastit

People who get upset by this kind of car park behaviour can of course cycle.

So clearly neither of you are the kind of person who really gets upset, and you were both just putting on a show.

So don’t worry about it.

jam-bo

On a slightly different note. I parked in a large empty car park the other day, when i returned there was one other car parked. It was parked so close to mine, it was pretty awkward getting in. Why would you do that?

Jamie
    Free Member

On a slightly different note. I parked in a large empty car park the other day, when i returned there was one other car parked. It was parked so close to mine, it was pretty awkward getting in. Why would you do that?

Some people just want to watch the world burn, jam bo.

Markie
    Free Member

Why would you do that?

My 4yo daughter loves it when somebody parks close to her door as it means I let her climb out either my door or the boot. She tries to get me to park her door ‘tight’ every time we stop… did you notice a child’s seat?

sleepless
    Free Member

we used the meet and greet service at Machestershire’s Airpotage. we arrived yesterevening to find our car parked in the nearest space to the main exit door. I do hope the greeting car parker/ driver type worker had a smashing argument with some poor unfortunate in order to park our said car so conveniently for us.
    It gives me a warm feeling…. oh no… hang on …. that will be the sun burn.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

If someone parks to closely to me I smack my door repeatedly into there car with more vigour each time, as though I am trying to smash a clearing.

That’ll learn em.

tonyg2003

Reading this thread it reminds me why I take the wife’s car when I’m going on local trips where I will be parking.

Drac

That was they day I found out how easily the rear wing of an Audi TT caves in when you give it a relatively light punch

That’s really rather pathetic of you.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

We all know best course of action is to cycle past the carpark and laugh at all the idiots going round in circles really slowly and lock your bike conveniently close to your destination, arriving happy and relaxed with a big smile on your face and the sun on your back

Its good to see there’s a fair representation of society on here though . . . Even if some of you need to calm down a bit 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Parking fight – who was in the right?’ is closed to new replies.