Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • owner costs of a motorbike
  • davski
    Free Member

just thinking of doing my motorbike licence and getting a bike, had trials bikes for years so not inexperienced..
    but just wondering what costs i should expect? insurance would be the biggest killer i suppose..? wouldnt mind a supermoto, not really into full out road bikes

totalshell

only three real costs with road biking insurance insurance insurance

davski
    Free Member

haha i can imagine

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Er?

My insurance is about £78 a year for my SV650.

Tyres at £200 a pair, and servicing, the major one being £400, and chains/sprockets every 12k are the real costs to me.

nickname
    Free Member

Insurance if you’re new, £370 ish fully comp for me as I’m riding on L plates 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you have a bit of age to you ( 😉 ) insurance is not too bad. However kit costs as does tyres and servicing. I used to get thru £400+ of tyres a year on my BMW. Depends how many miles you do and how you ride. Chains can add a lot as well

davski
    Free Member

well im a 29yo trucker, clean licence no accidents…
    mite make some inquries as quite tempted 😀

simon_g

As said, insurance – but then I live in London and only recently found a garage to rent.

In the nearly 2 years I’ve had my Ducati Monster, it’s been serviced once (£400), had a pair of tyres (£200) and two MOTs (£45 each). Tax is now £74/year. Insurance for those two years has been well over a grand.

If you don’t own suitable kit for road riding, that can add up a bit too although a couple of hundred quid gets you geared in budget stuff (my Aldi textiles were £110 and still work OK).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In the nearly 2 years I’ve had my Ducati Monster, it’s been serviced once

Then you must service it again! And it’ll need belts this time as well. Dukes live and die on servicing and whatever the miles the cambelts MUST be changed every 2 years. Do it. 🙂
    ———————–
    Costs depend on the bike, obviously. You can run a cheap 125 on the change in your pocket but a superbike will eat money. I never had a problem with insurance as I chose middleweight bikes, but they need servicing mire regularly and a set of tyres every 6000 miles. My Speed Triple was cheap to insure but pricey to service, and £200 a year on tyres. That said, I did 32,000 miles in it and only replaced 3 cables…. Nothing else went wrong. It was even on the original battery, chain and sprockets when I sold it! Triples are smooth and kind to chains though. My twin cylinder CB500s used to eat them in 11,000 miles despite having not much more than half the power of the Triumph.
    Pick the right bike and they are good on fuel too. Hondas are generally thirsty, Dukes and Triumphs a lot more frugal.
    Oh, it tends to get expensive when you bin it too!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you have a bit of age to you ( ) insurance is not too bad. However kit costs as does tyres and servicing. I used to get thru £400+ of tyres a year on my BMW. Depends how many miles you do and how you ride. Chains can add a lot as well

don’t forget all the other costs involved, including a million pounds for every person who dies prematurely as a result of the pollution you create

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BMWs exhale air cleaner than the farts of princesses

5thElefant
    Free Member

My lad pays £300-odd for a bandit 1200 at 25. His 900 was similar at 21. Insurance is pretty cheap.

Tyres add up if you do big miles. Chains/sprockets are £100+ a time but with a Scott Oiler you’re looking at 20-30k per chain.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

BMWs exhale air cleaner than the farts of princesses

Oh, so all they put out is hot air then. Hmmmm….

simon_g

Then you must service it again! And it’ll need belts this time as well. Dukes live and die on servicing and whatever the miles the cambelts MUST be changed every 2 years. Do it.

Yep, due at the end of the month! Will get it booked in soon.

OT but I took it on track on Friday (UKMOC organised a day at Mallory) – it was brilliant fun.

Still having a great time on it and (touch wood) absolutely no problems with it so far either.

br
    Free Member

My last few, first four are full life costs, with the Sprint been my current bike. All bought new, full dealer serviced while in warranty and then self-serviced.

Monster 750 – 1500m – £2.79 per mile
    ZX9R – 48000m – £0.44 per mile
    Fazer 1000 – 10000m – £0.45 per mile
    Tiger 1050 – 2200m – £1.70 per mile
    Sprint GT – 9000m – £0.38 per mile

The thing with a bike is that once you put too many miles on you’re into changing stuff like discs, and then it gets expensive – plus if like me you use them in all weathers…

5thElefant
    Free Member

wouldnt mind a supermoto, not really into full out road bikes

Service costs should be low. Assuming you mean a real supermoto you should be able to do all your own servicing – singles are simple to work on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

An idea of costs for a 125 would be of interest to me.

5thElefant
    Free Member

For a 125 doing the work yourself….

Oil change <£20 every few thousand miles. Valve adjustment every 10-20k £0. Chain/sprockets every 10k or so £50. Piston and rings every 30k. £50-ish.

Brake pads, fluid, tyres tubes etc all similar to a mountainbike (but cheaper).

Add in an hour or two labour for each of the above if you don’t like to get your hands dirty.

cbike
    Free Member

125 scooter. I don’t imagine a geared bike being hugely different
    ins £90
    road tax £15
    Fuel per month £10 – 20
    service every 12 months £70

Never needed new discs or pads or belt in 8000 kms/2 years from new.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘owner costs of a motorbike’ is closed to new replies.