Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Out of date energy gels & tablets
  • granny_ring

Whats the consensus with using these, I know it’s been asked on here before but can’t remember the general view…..?

Having a kitchen clear out and found the stock of SiS Go hydro tablets that expired June ’15 and some High5 energy gels that expired June ’13!!

To be honest I can’t see much biking being done before spring now so safe to use or not ta.

superfli
    Free Member

I just finished my batch of 2013 gels. I’m fine.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Can’t remember eating one in date, I always buy them with short dates on its miles cheaper and when you go out nobody cadges them

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve been using out of date GO Hydro for the last 6 months or so. I was hoping for some interesting side effects but no, nothing.

spooky_b329

Had a massive tub of For Goodness Shakes in the kitchen, finally dumped it as it was over five years out of date and I’ve probably only made a couple of bottles from it in that time!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

High sugar / low water content will make them fairly bacteriostatic, so I’d say safe.

Expiry dates based on how long they have lab tested before they got bored – they haven’t necessarily seen evidence of stuff growing before the expiry date.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m just getting to the end of a box of Torq gels with a best before date of 2013.

They’re fine.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ll doubt they’ll be worse than the inside of my bottles.

nickdavies

I’m working through a box of gels I got free expiring in July 14, no issue but I rarely use them. Prefer bars current batch is July 15… neither has given me a case of the squits yet.

As above I’d suggest most of us have more bad things in our camelback and water bottles… I know I have!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Eye
    Of
    The
    Needle.

But that’s just gels in general, have a pie.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Hydro tabs i’d keep, gels i’d chuck out

granny_ring

If anyone wants the 14 x High5 citrus gels for cost of postage email me.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

A few weeks out of date = no problem and no difference

A couple of years out of date = super powers. Consume the lot then smash all the Strava KOM in your area. Or sh*t yourself when you’re just too far from the nearest toilet to make it back in time.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just a bit of wasted ink. I have yet to see a sell by date that has any relevance to the real world. Just another pointless modern innovation to cover an arse somewhere.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Depends. We have a load of Nectar gels that have gone out of date and they have all expanded (to the extent a few have burst), so something’s happening in there (fermentation I assume).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Out of date energy gels & tablets’ is closed to new replies.