• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by igm.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Out goes the Rocky, in comes the Orange…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Rocky Mountain ETSX finally gave up the ghost after 6 years with a neat seat tube dismemberment at the weld joint for the rear shock pivot arm. Not uncommon, so my LBS tells me…
    Anyways, looking for a replacement frame that had simplicity/ease of maintenance/durability I settled on the Orange Five. Amusingly enough, when I showed the damage to the Rocky, the first thing Liam said was – "O.K. How soon do you need your Orange?"…
    I am happy that he described 5 as "hard as nails", despite it being lighter than the ETSX, but I've just one question.
    When sold complete, the 5 comes with a 140mm fork. I want to transfer my Rockshox Revs 130mm forks to the new frame. How will this affect the performance of the new setup?
    Any suggestions, as usual gratefully etc…

Del

it'll be 'alright', but replace them for pikes when you can imo. more for the maxle than anything else.

LenHankie

Running 130mm U Turn Revs on my 2009 Five – They're absolutely fine. I think the 's' comes with 130mm RS Recons from the factory anyway? IIRC the axle to crown height on the RS forks is similar to the Fox, despite the extra 10mm travel.

Having said that, I will be going for Pikes or 140mm Foxs with a 15mm axle when the time comes to replace them. I just happened to have the revs when I bought the frame. The Five encourages harder faster riding which cries out for a stiffer tougher feeling fork.

igm

I moved from Fox 130Rs on my 2005 Five to 140mm Pikes (after borrowing the Pikes off my wife's bike to see how they felt). A combination of a little extra front end height, (very) slightly slacker steering and the maxle felt better to me. That said the 130Rs weren't bad and I could have continued running them but I had another frame for them anyway.

Each to their own though so I'd stick the Revs on for now and see if you can borrow some longer forks to try them out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Out goes the Rocky, in comes the Orange…’ is closed to new replies.