Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • OT: Painting MDF skirting board
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

Obviously it comes pre-primed. Does it need any undercoat before applying a Satin Finish top coat (or two)
    Cheers,

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes.

sharki
    Free Member

YES!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

NO!

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Maybe!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Using an undercoat will mean less topcoat required. I tend to use a couple of layers of acrylic primer then you only need one topcoat

Anthony
    Free Member

Technically you want an undercoat then a top coat, but I find two coats of top-coat works a lot better.

I paint a LOT of MDF and for me I need to make sure it is done right as going back to a customer’s to put another coat on will cost me lost time. Only one coat of top coat over an undercoat isn’t 100% reliable for coverage.

FFIW paying the extra for Trade dulux satin-wood is well worth the extra money. I also rate very highly for coverage Layland’s Satinwood which is only £9.99 for 1/2 gallon at Screwfix but a lot more at the trade paint centre. Unfortately it yellows quicker than Dulux Trade.

£10-15 spent on ONE good brush (1 1/2″ my choice for skirting) will give much better results and will last years if taken care of. Cutting in is easier with a good brush too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘OT: Painting MDF skirting board’ is closed to new replies.