Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • OT: New car tyres after only 12,000 miles? :(
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

I’ve got Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/50/17 on my 4×4 Yeti. 20k miles 4mm left on the fronts and 6mm left on the rears. When I change probably before the Winter they will have about 25k on them. So I think either you are a loony or you have a tracking / tyre pressure issue somewhere. VW group cars are not known for excessive tyre wear generally.

Alpha1653

A loony? You’re not the first person to say that!

Either way, the tyres need to be replaced so I’ll go to a decent garage (not Kwikfit this time just in case that had something to do with it) and ask their advice.

Thanks all for your help!

letmetalktomark

PS3 user here.

We run them on the front of our 2.2d Civic.

Over about 7 years of use we had between 12-16k from a set.

From a confidence perspective I can’t fault them.

IMO probably too soft for our needs and too soft to be under a heavy diesel lump.

Tread indicators are a nice touch.

Going for some Primacy 3’s next as have just swapped out our rears for a pair.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

It might be worth people posting their tyre size?

Low profile tyres and alloy wheels seem common these days, even on normal family estates and things, and i suspect they wear quicker due to using softer rubber.

stumpy01

What size tyres are they?
    ‘Sport’ tyres for mainly town driving seems largely overkill. You can get decent tyres without spending £260 on a pair.

I’ve found Kumho to be good, and am currently using Falken ZE614’s which are very grippy, although I do wonder if I won’t get great life out of them as they feel quite soft.
    My wheels are 205/40/17s and I normally pay around £60 or so a tyre from Camskill & my local garage fits them for about £12/tyre – so under £150 for a pair of tyres.

I do mainly motorway/a-road driving & would expect 20k+ miles from the fronts. That’s for a 2 litre diesel with 140bhp.

M6TTF
    Free Member

just replaced the two front tyres on my leon FR – 6000 miles. as has been said, start stop driving and little motorway miles kills the mileage you can get to of tyres. (that, and driving style of course)

Nobby

I run the PS3’s too & get nearer 15k out of them (fair amount of motorway). I also use a local tyre dealer & pay less than £100 a corner so part of the problem is Crapfit’s excessive prices!

I’d rather have amazing grip in both the dry & wet so happy to pay for it.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I’d love to get 12,000 miles out of tyres.
    Motorbike the rear is munched after 3/4000 miles front not long after. Michelin Pilot Road 3.

Car Vauxhall insignia diesel get maybe 5/6000 miles. Mixture of motorway and town driving. Missus drives quite fast. I drive over aggressively. But don’t drive that often maybe twice a week.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘OT: New car tyres after only 12,000 miles? :(’ is closed to new replies.