Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Osprey Raptor 14
  • kirtonboy
    Free Member

Hiya, looking at getting a new bike bag with some vouchers that I got for Christmas. Seen some good reports for the Osprey Raptor, has anybody got one of these and what do you think about it.

Still open to other suggestions too.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Like mine a lot, make sure you get the newer version with the tool storage in the bottom of the bag. The fact you can remove and refill the bladder without emptying the entire bag is a godsend. This used to drive me mad on my old bag. The magnet on the bite valve is also very useful. Get the waterproof cover as well, at £15 it’s expensive but helps keep the bag mud free in these wet conditions.

JAG

I’ve got one. It’s a great bag. Lot’s of storage and loads of clever features.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve got one, I really like it. Comfortable and stable, lots of organised storage including stash pocket for things you don’t want contaminating the rest of the pack contents, excellent reservoir with magnetic valve holder that really works, handy hip-pockets, good build quality. The tool roll pocket is sat right in the firing line for mud from the rear wheel, which isn’t that clever, but overall I think it’s a really good riding pack.

I had one of the original Raptors as well and the new version has sorted most of the niggles from that like the sometimes leaking reservoir, no zips on the hip-belt pockets, slightly stiffer bottom end which could rub uncomfortably.

atlaz
    Free Member

Really good bag. Least waterproof hydropack I’ve ever had so get a cover.

shredder
    Free Member

Which waterproof cover are you using?
    I bought the non flouro xs one and was too big.
    Thanks

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I’ve got one – overall a great bag. The only negatives are (as mentioned above) the tool roll is prone to getting caked in crap. And the material seems a bit thin – mine got ripped by a low hanging branch (Osprey offered to repair it for free – but I didn’t get round to returning it).

doug_basqueMTB.com

Really tough and well organized bag. I even used it for guiding a bit last year as you can pack loads of stuff into it. The roll out tool storage is a fantastic addition.

bearGrease

How unobtrusive are the hip pockets and the belt? I fancy this pack but not too keen on waist belts but with the extra size of those pockets I guess you have to wear the belt done up. It’s either that or the Viper 13.

BadlyWiredDog

How unobtrusive are the hip pockets and the belt? I fancy this pack but not too keen on waist belts but with the extra size of those pockets I guess you have to wear the belt done up. It’s either that or the Viper 13.

I never really notice the belt and pockets, but they are the reason I went for the Raptor over the Viper, which just has a thin webbing strap belt, I felt the Raptor felt more supported and stable, The pockets aren’t big, about the right size for a bar or similar, and I’ve not found them intrusive. I guess it’s all subjective, but for me it’s not an issue, in fact I prefer it.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The pockets are great. I have stiff shoulders from too much biking and find getting into that type of pocket hard but the osprey ones are great.

bearGrease

Thanks for the info Doug and Dog, will mull a little further but think the Raptor sounds the winner.

forexpipz
    Free Member

Don’t bother with a pack. Its liberating and a lot more enjoyable without. You sweat less too.

If you can’t attach stuff to your bike then get a waist belt.

Remember. A pack adds mass which impacts your lower spine.

If u need 3 litres to drink then drink 500 before you set out. 2 on route and whatever u like when u get back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Osprey Raptor 14’ is closed to new replies.