Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Orbea Rallon or YT capra?
  • julians
    Free Member

Are you running it 1/10 and if so what front ring did you go with

yes , running 1 x 10, have got an e thirteen 32 tooth front ring.

Will update with an opinion after a ride, although I find it always takes ages to get the suspension on a new bike tuned in to how you like it, so the first few rides tend not to be representative.

quick photo below

very yellow rallon

julians
    Free Member

Just been for a very short shakedown ride, just to iron out any niggles .

First impressions are that the rear suspension action is very plush, really smooths out the square edge bumps in a way that my previous mojo hd didn’t. The hd was pretty smooth especially with the ccdb air shock, but this is noticeably better at smoothing the bumps

The climbing switch on the bos Kirk shock does a pretty good job of removing a lot of pedal bob, with it in the open position there is a fair amount of bob, which I guess is to be expected with such an active suspension design.

Pike forks are surprisingly good, wasn’t expecting much from these to be honest as thought they’d not get anywhere near to my marz 55 rc3 coil forks, but they’re pretty decent at first ride, need to get some more rides on some decent terrain to form a proper view, but first impressions are that they seem to have good performance at alight weight.

Downsides ? Not many yet, but the derail hanger is not replaceable at the side of the trail unless you carry a 22mm spanner in yourpack, but it looks sturdy so maybe not a massive problem. Will be very annoying to bend it on a ride and then not be able to replace it until you get back home.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I found it hard to set up the suspension a bit. I ended up with a little low speed on, not much and a lot of high speed. Feels great now and really doesn’t bob much for seated climbing.
    The mech hanger is actually really protected and I still haven’t broken one. I have a wee adjuster spanner and it just fits that bolt. I always carried it anyway, it’s just luck it fits.

Glad you’re enjoying the bike.

julians
    Free Member

Been out for my first proper ride on the rallon today, a few of my thoughts below.

Climbing – Probably not quite as good a climber as my mojo hd, feels like a bit more effort even though the rallon is a pound and a half ligher than the mojo, this might be because I’ve kept exactly the same gearing as on the mojo which had 26″ wheels, and the rallon is 650b, so I think the overall gearing is a little taller, going to have a look on a gear inch calculator and see how much taller the gearing really is, but might try a 30 tooth chainring.

Downhill – On a rough fast downhill this bike feels ultra smooth, very composed, it just smooths everything right out, there was no ‘spiking’ through the rear end, just very smooth. The mojo was nowhere near as composed as this on rough stuff. You can just pick the roughest line , and the bike just smooth it all out, encouraging you to go faster. Overall exceptionally good, feels like the downhill bike I rented in the alps last year in the way it smooths the rough stuff out.

Pedal strikes – I had it in the lowest setting today, and I have 175mm cranks fitted, had a quite about 5 or 6 strikes over a 13 miles ride, nothing major, just fairly light scrapes, all of them were when pedalling hard downhill coming out of a corner. Will probably switch to 170mm cranks. Havent tried the higher setting, but the lowest setting does feel good, so dont really want to go higher, hopefully shorter cranks will reduce the strikes.

rich1974
    Free Member

Dont post on here much, but must point out. I got 3 mates with YT Capra. No question the bike is awesome , but the E13 wheels on the comp are shocking. Major free hub problems. And after just 3 weeks riding. All 3 bikes have been out of action for weeks on end waiting for replacements. Problematic wheels on a 3 grand bike is not acceptable. No doubt my mates are wishing they had bought something else, quite possibly a rallon.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Question to those who ordered the Rallon as a frame, did it come with the bolt thru 12×142 rear or did it come with the quick release?

wrecker
    Free Member

the E13 wheels on the comp are shocking

Shit. I just bought a set of those, second hand (but unused). 😐

I know the base model comes with qr rear and the 142/12 dropouts are extra ( Qr is the one poor part of the frame as it feels cheap and crap . Upgrade it or go for next model up .

julians
    Free Member

Question to those who ordered the Rallon as a frame, did it come with the bolt thru 12×142 rear or did it come with the quick release?

My frame only rallon with bos shock came with both QR and 12 x 142 drop outs.

enmac
    Free Member

Julians

What size/type headset does the frame take. Now you have had it a couple of weeks how are you liking it? I am seriously considering getting this frame.

julians
    Free Member

headset as follows:-

top cup : 1 1/8 Integrated – 41.1mm
    bottom cup : 1.5 Integral – 55.9mm

I’m generally loving this bike, it flies downhill, the most composed bike in the downhill rough stuff that I’ve ridden this side of a dedicated downhill bike. Absolutely destroys my previous Mojo HD (with CCDB air shock and marz 55 rc3 coil forks, so a well specced bike)in terms of downhill ability.

Not quite as good at climbing as the mojo, but not far off. Without the climbing switch set to off on the shock it bobs a bit, but switch it on and the back end becomes very very firm, which aids pedalling, but loses traction if the climb is bumpy. Climb switch is best used on smooth fireroad or road climbs, if its a tech climb then leave it off.

Other points? Its light, mine is just under 30lb with pedals, and not an especially blingy build (pike forks, reverb, dtswiss alu rims, hans dampf 2.35 tyres, mix of slx and xt drivetraim)

Downsides? the bolt thru rear needs an allen key to remove/fit the wheel, which is a minor incovenience. Doesnt feel quite as quick to accelerate as the mojo, not sure if this is the larger wheels, or inefficiency due to the very supple suspension, maybe a bit of both? Everyone looks at it due to the bright (and I mean bright) yellow paintwork, starting to feel a bit self conscious, and that I’m not as skilled as the shouty paintwork implies.

rwills2
    Free Member

Can anyone give a brief review of their experience with the mavic cross one wheels that come as stock.

Any good?

I am looking at sourcing one from Europe with the exchange rate as it is.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Julians, can you shed any light on which headsets to buy for the Rallon? I’ve one on order and want to get spares so there’s minimum delays in future when things need replaced!

julians
    Free Member

Just been to have a look at mine ,but there’s no marking or measurements printed on them so I can’t be certain of the measurements,but it’s some form of semi integrated for the top cup and semi integrated for the bottom cup, and it’s a tapered headtube.

Sorry not much help I know

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s a 41mm upper head tube and not 44?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’ve been out a couple of times on the Rallon now… feedback time!

Ordering – I got the 2015 X30, which comes with the 135qr axle. I asked if the bike could be provided with the 142×12 fitted, bike shop spoke with the UK rep who confirmed yes. It arrived 4 weeks later with the qr! Anyway, looks like the shop are sorting it, they have received the 142 axle parts and a 142x12mm hub and are rebuilding my wheel…huge kudos to Cycle Lane in Glasgow for taking the hit on doing this.

I’d also requested the forks are not cut right down to fit the headset and that they leave 20-30mm spacers on, which they have done. This is because I was selling the Fox forks that came with it right away and putting my Pikes on.

It’s bang on 31lbs with my full custom lot of stuff on it. I didn’t weigh it before I stripped it so not sure how that varies.

I set it to the lowest setting. It’s a large and comes with 170mm cranks. BOS Kirk upgrade on the back. I did footer with the shock settings but then decided to put them all back to the middle and just ride and see how it went.

Meanwhile I’ve had 3 rides with it as it stands using another wheel. Climbing – very little bob. I have flicked on the climb switch when on long fireroads. The body position is the best change between this and my old bike for climbing. I’ve fitted 780mm answer sl bars, a 35mm renthal apex stem, and my usual breaks a good inch inboard of the inside of the grips. Rest of the bike is pretty standard, 1×10, reverb, Shorty front/ardent rear tubeless.

It’s my first proper bit of time spent on a 650 wheeled bike and I have only noticed a tiny difference, if any at all. It may just be psychological! I do notice it rolling faster down smooth slopes, where I’m now going at the same pace or faster than people who used to roll away from me. But it was on the latter part of the weekend’s ride where I started getting comfortable with the bike and working it harder and suddenly it clicked… the bike felt normal when pottering around and taking it easy, but when I hammered it into stuff it became a DH bike! Really, it genuinely rode like a DH bike when I started taking risks and hitting straighter rougher lines.

Obviously I’ve a lot of riding to do to become more attuned to it, but I’m glad I chose it. And glad it’s not got the 2016 bike ‘upgrades’ of a boost rear end and 0.5 degree slacker head.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Orbea have got in touch to confirm the headset is a 44mm top cup and not 41.1mm, but I’ve not tapped out mine to check with the calipers yet.

julians
    Free Member

I did a bit more digging about the headset on the rallon,and came to the following conclusion.

Top cup 44mm
    Bottom cup 56mm

I havent actually measured the ones fitted to my bike,but hopefully the above ia correct

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Orbea Rallon or YT capra?’ is closed to new replies.