Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange stage 5
  • J273
    Free Member

Anyone have or ridden one?

I’m looking for another shortish travel 29er after riding a HT for the past few years.

I like the look of the stage 5.

The full build kits are well out if my price range so would be a frame only.

So anyone got one or ridden one and what are your thoughts?

chestrockwell

Shortish travel? Segment is what you want. Mine is ace and got it for 2k in the sales this time last year.

tor5
    Free Member

Had a demo ride on one on my local trails. Apart from being bloody quick it was also at least as much bike as the 160mm 26″ it would be “replacing”

wl
    Free Member

Borrowed one for three Pennine rides – it was ace. Very fast, surprisingly fun and a great all-rounder, but in the end I’ve decided to stick with 650b wheels. I think it would be a superb bike for anyone into racing or Strava (neither of which I’m into). Great general bike too if you defo want a 29er. One I tried had that posh Fox shock and it was, frankly, amazing.

brakeforcake
    Free Member

I own one. It’s simply fast, fun and engaging. I don’t chase Strava KOM’s but to my surprise I got one on my second ride on the Stage 5 on a particularly steep and loose descent. It doesn’t necessarily feel like you are going faster than normal, it’s just an easy and composed bike to ride fast.

I previously owned an Orange Segment, which is a very similar bike but with less travel. The Segment was excellent around trail centres, but the lack of travel holds it back on rough, natural terrain. If you are coming from a hardtail this may not be a problem for you.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I demo’d one for a full weekend a few weeks back. It doesn’t feel like a short travel 29er to me, a bit more capable in rough than my Airdrop but not quite as fun/playful as the Airdrop or my previous bike (Transition Smuggler).

I struggled a little in some tighter trails with it but you’d adapt to that over time. On some other trails I knew a bit better it was quick and pretty composed too. When it came to the end of my weekend demo I would have happily kept it.

I only demo’d the lower spec of the builds but had no complaints with the build or component choice. The full build was just under 31lbs too which I thought was decent. If I were to buy one (a possibility) i’d do the same as you and buy frame only.

pnik

Ive a segment, which is awesome and not found limiting at all, although i’m based in sussex, took it around the gap last week, no problem. I guess the stage 5 would be similar but advantageous in the bigger hills and rockier terrain, mine has replaced a 26er 5 and a solaris.

Recommended

russyh
    Free Member

I was all set to buy one, but after falling out with ORange and trying a different brand which was frankly a better bike than my 2017 five i didn’t bother. My good riding buddy has a segment and that bike is an absolute machine and blast to ride. He is a good rider and pretty quick, not seen him out of his depth once on it or complain he needed more travel. Fantastic underrated bike in my opinion.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Iv’e got a Stage 6, it’s maybe the best bike I’ve ever ridden!

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

gixernick

I can’t decide if there’s enough differences between this and my current Orange Alpine Five (or Five 29 as some were called), to warrant an upgrade?
    Anyone tried both?

chestrockwell

I had a 5 29 then changed to the current Segment if that counts? Much prefer the Segment as it’s more nibble and doesn’t seem to get out of it’s depth as I thought it might. Longer top tube helps too so I imagine the Stage 5 would be a better bike (As long as you get a decent shock) without being out of this world better.

rickon
    Free Member

My mate has the Stage 5, and rode a five29 for about 3 years before that. He does say it’s incredibly similar. Which it’s going to be.

If you want a longer bike, and a lower seatube, and you love the five29 already, it’s going to be a great bike – just don’t expect to get that same ‘new bike’s feeling you get when you’re on something totally different!

J273
    Free Member

I’m about to press the buy button on a stage 5 frame.

At a shade under 6ft should I be on a large?

chestrockwell

Yes. I’m 6’2″ and fit the XL perfectly. My L 5 29 always felt a bit small.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, I’m 5’11 and would get a large. I had a medium five29, which was really too short and my new Five is a large and ideal. Wouldn’t go shorter at all.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange stage 5’ is closed to new replies.