Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Orange Gyro rear axle 142 or 135
  • roverpig

And neither of you had a camera on you I suppose 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Roverpig, I did but that would be a spoiler 😛

roverpig

OK, fair enough.

While we wait for the pictures and ride report, can I just ask a couple of technical questions.

Can the gyro handle a 22/36 double chainset, or does it have the same issue as the Five with the 36 tending to foul the pivot point (and the system being designed to be most efficient in the 32T ring)?

Has anybody stuck longer forks on it yet? I see it’s rated for up to 140, but all the reviews I’ve seen have stuck with 120mm (no doubt for a good reason).

GaryLake
    Free Member

Nope, it’s not rated for 140 forks, I thought it was but the website shows 120 max.

I’ll ask orange about the double chain set, I think nice mates was on a double. Solution could be to space the chain line out perhaps? I’m 32t 1×10 and it’s great. I never had a prob ratios wise on 32/24 2×10 either. 32-11 gear is quite big for a 29er so even on road it wasn’t too bad.

roverpig

Yes, I just checked the Orange site and it does indeed say that the max fork travel is 120mm. Funny as quite a few reviews refer to it being rated up to 140mm and I’m sure that last time I checked (a few months ago) it said that on the Orange site too. Maybe I got that wrong though, or maybe some people tried 140 and it broke (unlikely). Of course, it could just be that Orange want to create cear blue water between the Gyro and the Five29.

I like my current 24T granny on 26″ so would probably want a 22T granny on a 29er, but I could live with less than a 36T outer. As you say, even 32×11 is probably enough for everything except road use.

roverpig

nicemates: Big ride tomorrow where I WILL take some pics, and test it a bit more thoroughly.

So, was it so awful that you are embarrassed to tell us about it, so good that you haven’t stopped riding it yet, or did you stack it and we have to wait for you to get out of traction before hearing all about it? Enquiring minds want to know.

I realise that one shouldn’t set too much store by first ride reports. Nobody ever dropped the best part of £3K on a bike and thought it was anything other than fantastic, but I’d still be interested to hear your thoughts.

nicemates
    Free Member

Box storage is great…. I recommend it.. check back later.

roverpig

Very nice, thanks. Could do with a bit more mud on it though 🙂

nicemates
    Free Member

nicemates
    Free Member

I can’t deny it, I’ve cleaned it more times than I’ve ridden it..
    Still well and truly in the honeymoon period.

P.S. running a 38/24 front chainset

GaryLake
    Free Member

Tidy! Just needs a Kashima dropper now 🙁

How was the cheeky trail? 🙂

honourablegeorge

I’m rather surprised that Orange aren’t doing 142 rears – I’d have thouight their (relatively) small, in-house manufacturing would have lent itself quite readily to updating stuff quickly.

tomat0
    Free Member

How’s the clearance with the double? I thought it was an un-do-able due to the pivot position but obviously not.
    This thread doesn’t make my life any easier, i wanted to step away from single pivots and try something different but i’m drawn back to the Gyro time and again.

nicemates
    Free Member

Yeah seems a bit odd it’s not 142, although it looks like they’re waking up with the Five29.
    Can’t see why it’s such massive issue though, all the wheelsets I was looking for came with 135×12 as an option (accept form Shimano) and most come with adapters should you need to change it in the future.

Double ring worked fine up front, it did look a little tight but I haven’t spaced out the drive side at all so I can’t invision any problems.

I’ve come from FSR and the single pivot has made the constant cleaning of my new bike a breeze!

Frankers
    Free Member

Nice looking bike, what size is it and how tall are you?

nicemates
    Free Member

It’s a large, I’m 6.2″ and lanky with it. Suits me perfect.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Orange Gyro rear axle 142 or 135’ is closed to new replies.