Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Orange Five with 130mm forks? What should I really get instead?
  • disconoir
    Free Member

Hi guys, I’m sure this has been done before but here goes anyway.

Got an 07/08 Five and just building it up but currently only have a set of 130mm FOX 32s at my disposal.

Anyone ridden a Five with 130mm forks, is it rubbish? What forks do you recommend for it?

Cheers!

Paul

jonk

My 2005 five is the same geometry as yours and runs a 130 float rides ok.

disconoir
    Free Member

Cool, I’ve done it the other way round with more upfront and that’s been great but was worried the bike might feel unbalanced because of the travel difference and steepening the head angle.

disconoir
    Free Member

Any other thoughts on maybe running a 160mm fork?

ads678

Were those ones not designed around a 130 fork, with 150 being the recommended maximum?

I have 2005 that rides fine with 130’s, although I run u-turn pikes and change depending on up, down, dh, or xc. Even run it 120 on road sections sometimes. It works whatever really.

chestrockwell

Is it a 2007 or 2008? Got a feeling the 2008 had a slightly different geometry before they changed to the current one in 2009.

From memory the last 5 with 130mm as standard was the 2006. I had one but it was end of season so was specced with 2007 140’s as Orange had run out of the 2006 forks 😉

Standard for yours would have been 140mm although as others have said it should be fine with 130’s. I had 160’s on my current 2009 but thought they were more fork then the bike needed so went back to 140’s.

theupsetter
    Free Member

I had fox talas on mine when i bought it in 2005.
    I put on some fox 36’s after I killed the talas – it handled like a pig with the 36’s – went back to 140 float.
    130 or 140 worked best for me

disconoir
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I think I’ll spec up to some 140/50s at some point in the future, will let you know how I find the 130s after the weekend assuming the shifters arrive!

Cheers

Paul

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five with 130mm forks? What should I really get instead?’ is closed to new replies.