Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Opinions required: 51 plate Saab 93 SE 2.2 TiD
  • Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

As title really. I’m interested in buying it and done the usual web browse reviews, chatted to my usual mechanic (whom informed me of it)
    5 Door, 1 owner from new 140k on the clock, sub £1k.

Any recommendations, what to keep an eye out for? It was serviced by my usual mechanic only 2k ago.

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure what you’re asking really!

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

anyone had one, and have any comments basically

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, ok.
    I had a ’99 2.0SE – very reliable, only 2 problems in the 5 years I had it – ignition rail failed: Car just died, RAC and a mobile mechanic couldn’t solve. About £400 to replace (mate’s rates). And the bearing in the drive belt – made horrible noise, replaced before failure as recommended on http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/

Now have a 55 plate 9-3 TiD. All great except the the bloody engine management light coming on at random times.

Hope that helps.

cvilla

I have a 51 plate 2.2 TiD with 140K miles, have had some issues with leak off pipes, but replaced and better now; also issue with starting, think the alarm takes a little too much power IF left standing for a few days, so cold weather starting not best(I know it’s a Sabb !!). Otherwise solid and the bike goes in the back.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

yeah .. sad to say it was the boot size that’s getting me excited, no more need for faffing with roof rack.

That and although it’s 60cm longer it’s more importantly essentially same width for my 1960’s single garage (no drive, but parking permit zone) coming from an ’96 mk3 5dr golf. Give or take a folded mirror.

Garage would also mean ambient parking temp a couple of deg higher than ‘street’

mboy
    Free Member

My mate has one, well the 3dr but mechanically identical. It’s saab’s own engine, not the later GM engines in the newer vehicles so it’s agricultural but pretty reliable. That said, at 140k it should probably have already had a new turbo by now, if not budget that it will need one soon.

Other than that, they’ve got the usual Saab weirdness going on. Has to be in reverse to take the key out the ignition, ignition key by the handbrake, odd (to me) driving position etc. but they’re pretty damned robust and reasonably economical (mates getting 45mpg mixed from his which isn’t bad). Oh and the pixels die on the radio and air con display units, which can be infuriating trying to work out what’s going on, but apparently it’s quite a cheap fix.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

yeah .. this one has the pixel issue, line accross the middle

DezB
    Free Member

yeah .. sad to say it was the boot size that’s getting me excited

Was me too, when I got my ’99 one. Now I have the estate though 🙂

Has to be in reverse to take the key out the ignition

You know, I miss that! Funny, when I got my newer one and occasionally forgot to put the handbrake on…

By the way, if you want to change the radio, I’ve got the spacer kit you can have.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

aha

Radio .. wow… forgot about that …awesome! Haven’t had working radio (CD yes, MP3 player yes, but actual radio no) in 3 years. couldn’t be bothered to replace my snapped-by-yoof’s ariel, so it only picks up really local station but not much else .. especially not on longer journeys.

will bear you in mind for spacers. many thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Opinions required: 51 plate Saab 93 SE 2.2 TiD’ is closed to new replies.