• This topic has 60 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Open plan offices
  • DezB
    Free Member

Everyone has them these days… so does anyone’s company have some sort of charter of how to behave?
    I need something to use in our next team meeting. It’s driving me nuts. The one bloke who thinks everyone needs to hear what he is SHOUTING DOWN HIS PHONE while pacing up and down the office. ARRRGH.

molgrips
    Free Member

We have dirty look penalties applied to those who transgress.

druidh
    Free Member

Speak to him and ask him not to?

Controversial….

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, now druid, you’re making the assumption that this is a normal, reasonable human being…

ahwiles
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Speak to him and ask him not to?

i tried this with some of the many ‘shouters’ in my office.

they tend to look at you blankly, and say something like “…er, o-kay…”

and then carry on shouting.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, there are some people you can talk to, others need to be approached in a different way…

BoardinBob

I love people who take a call on their mobile, get up from their desk then go and stand next to someone elses desk while they’re on the call 🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

stick a note on his desk saying:

“stop shouting when you’re on the phone,

sincerely

EVERYONE’

portlyone

Do you not have rooms tasked for this purpose? Or kitchens etc?

paulpalf
    Free Member

We used to have a fake Oscar-type award with “loudest phone-talker” inscribed on it. Usually got the message across.

Paul

Northwind

Had this in a previous job, I decided the best approach was full on rude confrontation- waited til she started a loud conversation with a friend, then I got on the phone to a colleague and walked over to her while more or less screaming my end of the conversation.

I can’t say it worked particularily well but at least it was satisfying.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you not have rooms tasked for this purpose? Or kitchens etc?
    For what purpose?

“Dear C0ck,
    stop shouting when you’re on the phone,

sincerely

EVERYONE”

File-> Print.

portlyone

I mean rooms where private/sensitive calls can be taken, rather than being made in public. No “break out” areas?

DezB
    Free Member

Of course.. some people don’t think their phone calls are private though. In fact quite the opposite: “LISTEN EVERYONE! I’M GREAT ME!”

philconsequence
    Free Member

perhaps he’s trying to attract your attention…. you know…. sexually.

“yah yah… 1 million…. uh huh, yeah the villa in the alps, oh no puff daddy arrived late and didnt even bring flowers for the missus… yah…. yah… nahh a cheeky half trillion”

type thing?

tonyg2003

You need phone rooms! We have an open plan office (for CEO down) and lots of breakout rooms/meeting rooms.

If she’s annoying you just MTFU and tell her to shut up. Works in our office!

DezB
    Free Member

type thing?

*Nods. In a sad way*

philconsequence
    Free Member

dont be sad debz, you’re coming to my wedding and the DJ has just got back from playing the VIP area at global gathering… there might be some more accessible stuff earlier on but you should get to hear some decent music.

EDIt — the kids wont be bored either 😀

DezB
    Free Member

🙂

hopefully I’ll go deaf

nealglover
    Free Member

Wtf is a “breakout” room ?

Is it just another pointless adopted Americanism (I’ve not worked in an office for a while)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

IS DEbZ COMING TO THE WEDDING?!?!?!

Thanks for the heads up.

Re the OP… just ask them if the person at the other end has a phone they could call them on?

binners

*Andy McNabb voice*

Utlise your environment to its full potential. If its open plan, you’ll get a clean head shot

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t listen to douglas adams on head phones, sudden uncontrolled laughing doesn’t go down well, others don’t like it when looks like you’re enjoying yourself at work.

philconsequence
    Free Member

debz and family are coming to the evening bit yah. as is mr poddy and wife i believe.

tinsy
    Free Member

We are in pig pens here so its not quite so offensive, so I shout extra loud. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up.

*blows a kiss*

DezB
    Free Member

Binners has an idea.
    There are 2 Nerf machine guns at my house. 😆
    Bloke is ex-army too… That would be awesome!

Cougar

Cue cards.

A laminated A4 sheet with “STFU” on it an as big a font as the paper will allow. Hold in front of face of offender.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wtf is a “breakout” room ?

Cougar

We don’t have a breakout room, but there’s one or two that pong.

portlyone

Break out room/space – informal spaces with chairs and/or table to chat about work etc but away from desks and email.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Had this for couple of years ago. Mrs Doubtfire sleazing it up with the customers at high volume accompanied by hooting laughter.
    Tried politeness, tried rudness, tried manager intervention, tried manager with some balls intervention, tried extreme rudness, tried sarcasm.
    Gave up.
    Left.

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks molgrips, looks like I’m missing out on 80’s fun by not being an office bod anymore 🙂

poly
    Free Member

Thanks molgrips, looks like I’m missing out on 80’s fun by not being an office bod anymore

Well kind of. In the 1980’s the “typing pool” often had an open plan office and people with important jobs who needed to talk to people had offices. Now everyone is just a typist of some sort so are in an open plan office. When they actually have some ‘real work’ to do they use a ‘break out room’ (which is what in the 1980’s was called an office – but doesn’t “belong” to anyone.

takisawa2

Worst are those in their own offices that think its ok to have their desk phone on loud speaker & leave the door open…WTF. Get a bloody life. If I’m trying to do manual calcs headphones are usually the only option sometimes.

nealglover
    Free Member

Well kind of. In the 1980’s the “typing pool” often had an open plan office and people with important jobs who needed to talk to people had offices. Now everyone is just a typist of some sort so are in an open plan office. When they actually have some ‘real work’ to do they use a ‘break out room’ (which is what in the 1980’s was called an office – but doesn’t “belong” to anyone.

Poly, I was referring to Molgrips picture of “breakout” above.

(being a 1980’s computer game) 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

takisawa2 – Member

Worst are those in their own offices that think its ok to have their desk phone on loud speaker & leave the door open…WTF. Get a bloody life. If I’m trying to do manual calcs headphones are usually the only option sometimes.
    Unfortunately I have that to deal with on occasion, closing his door for him usually gets the point across.

FuzzyWuzzy

Generally our lot are pretty good but we occasionally have muppets joining a conference call hands-free or watching a training video on laptop speakers, the rest of the office does a good meerkat impression combined with excessive throat-clearing when it happens as we don’t seem to go for the confrontational approach…

scuzz
    Free Member

There’s a wedding?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZD4heGsPks[/video]

aP
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last 9 months in an open plan project office which is fine except that when I actually need to concentrate and get some work done I stay till 9 or 10pm. The cleaners bring me a coffee most nights – how sad is that?
    Which reminds me, I have a 10,000 word report to write by Monday morning – which I’m doing at home because I don’t get interrupted, I’ve let my mobile battery run down and although the internets works the phone line doesn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Open plan offices’ is closed to new replies.