Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • OneUp Components RAD cage – will it work with an SGS mech?
  • Orangejohn
    Free Member

First off this looks like a great product allowing the rider with less than deep pockets to run 1 x 10 systems with a good spread of gears.
    For me what is most important is that I can stick with Shimano.
    Great news for every day riders!

Being a cheap skate I have often used SGS mechs with 1 x 9 systems. Yes I know the longer cage isn’t needed but they were often available a fair bit cheaper than GS mechs.

It was my understanding that with SGS and GS the difference was the length of the cage. Therefore with this thinking it should be possible to fit the RAD cage on either GS or SGS (however OneUp state on their advertising that it is to replace the cage on a GS mech).
    Any ideas?

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s only one side of the cage so you have to use it with a medium cage mech otherwise the other side of the cage won’t fit (though you could of course buy one separately).

chris_db
    Free Member

If it stops the sloppy shifting caused by pushing the b screw all the way in then I’m all for it. Drives me nuts!!

C

Northwind

FWIW, I’ve been using OneUp’s 42T with a standard mid cage XT mech for a while, it works really well- I’ve just ordered a RAD thing because it’s RAD and it looks like it’ll work better, but it’s not essential ime.

IamSam
    Free Member

Bit off topic sorry but, does anybody know if the GS cage from a non clutch mech will fit a clutched mech???

sam

nedrapier

What does the RAD cage actually do?

Apart from sitting there being RAD, obvs.

mrhoppy

It changes the upper jockey wheel position though a different pivot position.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I take it all mech body bits are the same, it’s just the cages that change?

AlexSimon

Just one side of the cage changes steve_b77.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes but what that means is that you can adjust it so that the jockey wheel better follows the whole cassette if you’re using a large (40 or 42) sprocket. Using shimano with a large sprocket adapater means using the b-tension to get clearance on that largest sprocket but also means that the jockey sits further away on the smaller sprockets which leads to sloppy shifting.

Basically it copies what SRAM have done on XX1.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Sounds great. Thanks for all the advice.

swanny853

If I read that correctly, someone was asking if it would fit a nine speed. I don’t think it would, the ‘stud’ that goes into the rest of the mech is different on the shadow+ mechs

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Sorry for confusing the issue.
    No I wasn’t thinking of using it on 9 speed.
    I thought it was a whole new cage as it moves the jockey wheels but as now explained above it is just one half of the cage which somehow manages to move the jockey wheels anyhow.
    Therefore a GS mech is required.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘OneUp Components RAD cage – will it work with an SGS mech?’ is closed to new replies.